Re: Fw: Nebraska - Tuesdays with Writers for MAY (Suzianne36323)(back to Wings)

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008

      Maybe it is about time to declare independence and set up a toll
      booth on the bridge over the Tamar River.

      Emmetts? Good grief! LOL

      Suzianne

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@...> wrote:

      > Dear Suzi
      > When I read the name Edgar Clemens, I wondered if he was any
      relation
      > to that wonderful writer of stories, Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain)
      > I was to be disappointed but this search led me to
      > www.cowboypoetry.com which has somw great western characters'
      photos.
      > This in turn led me to the place of Emmett, Idaho.
      > Now that may be a coincidence to slot in with your recent piece on
      > ants. Why? I'll tell you.
      > Emmetts to the Cornish is a term used for the summer visitors to
      this
      > county and you would understand why if, like me, you flew in your
      > little plane above the roads down here.Nose to tail they be maid
      > like a string of ants on their way to the nest.
      > However, unlike ants they are not very tolerant with their fellow
      > travellers and often bump into each other in their haste to get to
      > the front of the queue.
      >
      > As ever
      >
      > Wings
      >

      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Susan Donahue <suzianne411@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Tuesdays with Writers
      > > at the South Mill
      > > 48th & Prescott, Lincoln
      > > Coming on May 6th, 7 pm:
      > > A TWO PART READING!
      > >
      > > first, the Write Stuff, a Lincoln-area writers' group:
      > > The Write Stuff Writers are Doing it Again!
      > >
      > > reading tonight are:
      > > Amy Plettner
      > > Marilyn Dorf
      > > Anna Jamrog
      > > Linda Stringham
      > > Deb Walz
      > > Suzanne Yelkin
      > > Eileen Durgin-Clinchard
      > >
      > > Enjoy old friends and new with poetry!
      > >
      > > and, secondly, Edgar Clemens, Old West poet and historian.
      > >
      > > Edgar, a retired University animal science professor, performs
      > his "cowboy" poetry to across Nebraska, from Brownville, to
      > Valentine, and Chadron, and into Wyoming. "I started writing poetry
      > after I went to a cowboy poetry reading in Valentine," Clemens
      > said. "I went to a poetry workshop at Gere Library, and Rex Walton
      > said he liked my stuff and asked if I'd be interested in reading at
      > the Mill." Clemens played a harmonica before reciting his poetry
      and
      > wove his tales of boys getting into mischief and cowboys on the
      > trail, taking his audience back to the Old West Nebraska once knew.
      > His poetry represented Midwestern values, as his narrative remained
      > straightforward and honest.

      > > Coming in June:
      > >
      > > the 2008 Lincoln Slam Poetry Team!!
      > >
      > > Fresh outta the Bone-Crushing Finals at Meadowlark Coffee in
      April,

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Dear Suzi
        Re. "declare independence" for Cornwall. This dates back to 1337 when
        the Black Prince reached the age of 21yrs he established, as the Duke
        of Cornwall, that Cornwall was not legally a part of England and
        created the Cornish Stannary parliament.

        Mebyon Kernow , also known as the Duchy of Cornwall was founded in
        1951 and is a full member of the European Free Alliance as is Plaid
        Cymru of Wales.

        Re. "Charge a toll" Charge a toll? Good heavens young lady, you
        surely don't think the Cornish would be backward in that department.
        Built in 1959 at a cost of £1.5 million (loose change these days) and
        opened in 1961 there are many toll booths on the bridge. Here's the
        good part: You can cross the bridge from Devon to Cornwall free of
        charge, but if you want to get out again you have to pay
        £1 for a twin axle vehicle under 3.5 tonnes, which is based on the
        weight of an average car.
        They have now inaugurated an electronic tagging system which, with a
        tag in the car windscreen, at a cost of £20, registers each crossing
        and allows a 50% discount.

        The Tamar bridge carries the A38 trunk road from Plymouth on the
        Devon side to Saltash in Cornwall on the other side. On a busy
        weekend it is used by 50,000 vehicles and the yearly count is 16
        million.
        Until the Humber bridge was erected in 1981,it was
        the longest suspension bridge in UK with 335 metres between the
        towers and including the side spans and approach is 642 metres.
        Of course this pales into insignificance against the Akashi-Kaikyo
        of Japan which measures 1991 metres or the Golden Gate at 1280 metres.

        Incidentally, our fellow Celts in the land of the Red Dragon charge
        people to go over the Severn bridge into Wales. You are let out free
        of charge but you must take heed of the notice in large letters on
        the approach to the bridge which reads:
        "Keep Wales tidy, take your rubbish back to England".

        There you go, another load of useless info for you to digest.

        As ever

        Wings
        Ps. Incidentally, in the quiet of the winter period, less the
        emmetts, the Cornish population is around 400,000 but growing rapidly
        as the English realise the advantages of the Cornish way of life.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008

          See what I mean? You know everything worth knowing, and then some.

          Did you know that the Cornishmen in America played a part in the
          preserving our Union in the 1860's? There were lead mines in and
          around Galena, Illinois, a lovely town U.S. Grant called home before
          he went off to war. The Cornishmen who mined the lead provided what
          was needed to manufacture ammunition that was used by Grant and the
          other Federal generals to win the war between the states.

          Just another bit of trivia from this side of the pond.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2008
            Dear Suzi
            You are sure to know this, but I'm going to tell you anyway.
            Galena is a metallic grey mineral containing lead and sulphur.
            PbS, (Lead sulphide) is the most common mineral on this planet.

            I wonder if I should sue your government on behalf of those
            Cornish miners for the effects of lead poisoning.
            Forebears of my late wife's father took their picks and shovels over
            to the US so perhaps a trace of galena got into her genes
            and could become a problem for my children.
            Can you recommend a good lawyer.