Re: Let them eat fruitcake (Gwen)

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
      Dear Gwen,

      $200 does sound like a lot, but did you notice the didn't mention
      anything about a bottle? He said "a designer perfume that cost
      approximately two hundred bucks." It might have been an ounce
      of "Joy" or a 55-gallon drum of "Evening in the Alley" he picked up
      on Maxwell Street from a designer named Bruno. I suppose we will
      never know.

      Suzianne

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "queen_of_cryptic_cyphers"
      <poetry4u@...> wrote:

      > Dear Transom,
      >
      > Glad to hear from you. A most unfortunate episode with the old
      > girlfried sir. Perhaps many would have confiscated that bottle as
      > you. $200 bucks is not small change. As for the fruitcake, I hope
      the
      > rewrapped version is addressed to her.
      >
      > Cheers to a New and Fabulous Year!
      > Gwen
      >

      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, transom.jumper <no_reply@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Tickets,
      > >
      > > HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
      > >
      > > The holiday season. A time of buying, giving and going in debt.
      > > enjoy the football, the eating, the tranquil time spent in front
      of
      > > warm, crackling t.v. Mainly I like being alone. This year I did
      > the
      > > social thing. I went to parties, exchanged gifts and got a bit
      > > shnockered. In the midst of all the frolicing and gaity, I
      bought
      > an
      > > expensive gift for a dear old girlfriend. Red hot pokers
      couldn't
      > > get me to indiscretely reveal the type of gift or its price.
      Okay,
      > > it was a designer perfume that cost approximately two hundred
      > bucks.
      > > In return I got fruit cake. I don't know what fruit cake costs.
      > > It's the thought that counts, right? I don't know what it's made
      > > of. There seemed to be glazed pecans, cherries and a stray bit
      of
      > > ectoplasm from the movie Ghostbusters in it. Having drank
      heavily
      > > decided I'd give it a taste. After a few bites, a quick trip to
      > the
      > > E.R., a thorough stomach pumping and a prescription for
      industrial
      > > strength antacid, I've determined I'm not overly fond of fruit
      cake.
      > > The next day I dropped in to said ex-girlfriend's apartment.(She
      > was
      > > lobbying hard to become my current girlfriend, thus the expensive
      > > gift) I saw my perfume already partially rewrapped in her sacred
      > > regifting area. Yes, she regifts(what a cheapo). I know I caught
      > her
      > > off-guard by not calling before I came. Seeing it there put me
      in
      > > snit. I took the unopened perfume, its new paper and the fresh
      new
      > > bow she put on it and stormed from the apartment. Was I too
      > > emotional? Am I truly the moody, over-sensitive artist everyone
      > says
      > > I am? Please let me know. Ladies be kind. If you play your
      cards
      > > right you may be spritzing yourselves with an expensive French
      > > perfume.
      > >
      > > Happy Holidays to all,
      > > Everyone's best friend,
      > > Transom-Jumper
      > >
      > > P.S. I've since regifted her fruit cake with the very bow and
      paper
      > > she was going to use on my perfume. It should arrive by post in
      > the
      > > next few days. Hopefully I won't be arrested for shipping toxic
      > > substances by mail. Don't worry, I've put wax paper over the
      > section
      > > that nearly took my life. It now resembles a glazed horseshoe.
      As
      > > Marie Antoinette said, "Let them eat fruitcake."

    • albiaicehouse
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2008
        TJ,

        I've been told by reliable female sources there is a personal
        relationship between a woman and what she places on her skin to mingle
        with her own chemistry.

        This special substance has nothing to do with cost or route of
        acquisition.

        Don't be jealous.

        In fact you should be glad she was saving the earth resources by
        regifting.

        Partners may come and go, but once a woman finds her personal scent,
        it's a relationship that will last a very long time, perhaps a lifetime.

        I think you could improve and lengthen your piece by finding a female
        confidant from which you extract this information. I assume you can
        make her as funny as your male narrator. Imagine the possibilities if
        she tells the narrator about how a scent almost killed her because of
        an allergic reaction!

        Rod
        aka albi

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
          Hi TJ
          What a great NY surprise to see you back in the fold.That was an
          exceedingly long sabbatical you took without checking in with HQ.

          Re.your "Fruitcake & perfume."
          Perhaps Albi (35423) had it right when he said a woman is very
          senitive about that with which she treats her skin.
          We chaps have to learn the hard way in this life when we consider
          offering presents to our female counterparts.
          Give them expensive soap and they may think you are suggesting they
          need a wash. Give them perfume,no matter what the cost, and they may
          think you are suggesting they have B.O.

          I find the safest route to a woman's heart is via her tastebuds and
          what better present than a large box of best Belgian or Swiss
          chocolates(dark of course).
          As an alternative, one could always arrange for a massive bouquet of
          flowers to arrive at the lady's door, but here again one has to be
          tactful for white lilies,although beautiful flora might suggest
          funereal intent.I would only send lilies to accompany a 'dear Jill'
          letter, (the male equivalent of a 'dear John' letter) if I had
          decided on terminating my close association with a girl.
          We poor blokes can't win.
          A dress will be the wrong colour or two sizes too large and the
          retort: "Don't worry dear I expect you'll grow into it" is asking for
          missiles to be lobbed your way.
          Give them coin of the realm in the form of a personal cheque and they
          may say: "Is that all you think I'm worth?"
          But what can a man do when you ask the object of your
          affections: "What would you like for Christmas my little rosebud?"
          and the reply is: "I don't know. Surprise me"
          Oh! they'll be surprised alright, for I have yet to meet a man who
          instinctively knows the workings of a girl's mind.

          Welcome back TJ and don't leave it so long next time.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
            Dear Suzi
            Re. "Well preserved fruitcake"
            I remember, as a young boy, My mother would make Christmas puddings
            with a liberal amount of brandy during late summer.The pudding dish
            would then be sealed in Muslin cloth to await boiling/steaming on
            Christmas day.Besides almonds, raisins glace cherries,orange peel
            slices and those green and red bits,the name of which escapes me,
            there would be sixpenny bits as a gift for the lucky recipients of
            those portions.
            Sadly the Health and Safety Brigade frown on 'foreign bodies' being
            included in food these days although I don't recall any of my
            siblings choking on the silver pieces.

            Am I getting old or has the fun gone out of Yuletide?

            As ever

            Wings

            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"
            <suzianne411@...> wrote:

            > Dear T.J.,
            >
            > What a delight to see you here! It has been too long.
            >
            > Someone once told me that fruitcake originated during the
            Crusades.
            > Ladies would bake them and soak them in brandy or other spirits.
            The

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
              Dear Gwen
              Re. Girlfriends and Perfume.

              Here's a little anecdote to amuse you for the New Year:
              I was stationed at Changi in Singapore and my girlfriend of that era
              lived in Edgware, North London.
              Now even if I had wanted to undertake the long journey to renew my
              acquaintance with the current love of my life, I would no doubt still
              be behind bars for going AWOL.
              A pal of mine was due to go home on special leave and he owed me a
              favour for cancelling a not inconsiderable amount of readies he owed
              me at at a game of poker.
              So by way of recompense I asked him to deliver to my said girlfriend
              a largish bottle of Chanel number 5 perfume I had puchased in
              Singapore.
              The prezzie got through customs OK but when it arrived at my
              girlfriend's home ,the bottle was empty and my pal's clothing was
              smelling like that of the proverbial pox doctor's clerk.

              When I eventually arrived home for a short spell of R&R I brought
              her, not perfume but a supply of Nylon stockings, which at that time
              were in short supply in UK unless a girl had a Yankee boyfriend.
              I insisted on being present when she tried the hosiery on.Only to
              make sure I had selected the correct denier etc. you must understand.

              Ah! those flimsy nylons. Today's young man must find it a tad off-
              putting with those passion-stiflers they call tights.

              HNY

              <poetry4u@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > says
              > > I am? Please let me know. Ladies be kind. If you play your
              cards
              > > right you may be spritzing yourselves with an expensive French
              > > perfume.
              > >
              > > Happy Holidays to all,
              > > Everyone's best friend,
              > > Transom-Jumper
              > >
              > > P.S. I've since regifted her fruit cake with the very bow and
              paper
              > > she was going to use on my perfume. It should arrive by post in
              > the
              > > next few days. Hopefully I won't be arrested for shipping toxic
              > > substances by mail. Don't worry, I've put wax paper over the
              > section
              > > that nearly took my life. It now resembles a glazed horseshoe.
              As
              > > Marie Antoinette said, "Let them eat fruitcake."

            • ralphbaisley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
                <suzianne411@...> wrote:

                > Suzianne,

                Your observation is spot on. Having known T.J. for more than
                twenty years the same thought went through my head. I suspect the
                $200 is a slightly exaggerated retail price. I know T.J. to be an
                excellent writer, poet and my best friend. He is also tight fisted.
                I suspect his purchase was made after X-Mas, on clearance and that
                some sort of coupon or rebate was involved. While he is a wee bit
                over-emotional at times, he has a hard, cold eye for bubbly, large
                chested ladies named Peaches, Bambi or Tiffany. They're hardly his
                intellectual rival, but they generally are in the "performance art"
                field. If this ex is the one I suspect it is, their split will save
                T.J. the cost of buying surgical grade silicone in bulk.
                As an aside, T.J. that poem you showed me was the best you've
                written. Perhaps you could post it at this site. I wish more people
                knew just how talented you are. Keep up the good work, stick to your
                smokeless New Year's resolution and have a happy holidays old buck.
                Your Packers are in the playoffs and maybe Brett Favre will beat Tom
                Brady in the Superbowl.

                Da Baiz

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008

                  You, getting old? Never! As long as you share sweet memories of
                  times past and Christmas traditions like this one, you are in league
                  with that ageless elf who flies through the skies wishing, "Merry
                  Christmas to all!" Nobody knows how old you and Santa are. You are
                  both perpetually young in my mind.

                  Suzianne

                  P.S. One of these years, I think I will try my hand at making
                  Christmas pudding. It sounds wonderful.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2008
                    -
                    Dear Suzi

                    If I am the 'Ageless elf' then you, dear lady, must be the wand
                    waving fairy atop my Christmas tree.