Speech

  • albiaicehouse
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2007
      I haven't read the source document, yet, but apparently Jose Ortega y
      Gasset has pointed out that there is a paradox involved in all speech:
      every word uttered in a story is both exuberant and deficient,
      simultaneously. What we say and write transmits more than we intend,
      and each is deficient because its not the same as the event or even
      the perception that we intend to transmit.

      Wow.

      I think that is amazing to think about.

      Exuberant and deficient...at the same time.

      albi
    • rabagas
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2007
        I suppose that's inherent in language itself. Language belongs to
        everyone (even those who speak it in pidgin) and yet is bigger
        than anyone individual's usage for that very reason. And if you take
        language in an expansive sense to include visual language,
        metaphor,symbolism etc.Gasset's point is very well made.Language is
        like a hive, and individuals like the bees. Bees feed off it, but
        increase it and share it as well.

        Rabagas