Fw: Chicago Poetry Gossip

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: C. J. Laity <chicagopoetry@...>
      To: suzianne411@...
      Sent: Monday, July 2, 2007 3:19:05 PM
      Subject: Chicago Poetry Gossip

      .
      Hi Chicago Poetry Scene,

      thanks for your patience. I will be finished with
      a very tight first draft of my book ("THE GROOVE
      LINE") within a few days and I expect to have it
      completely finished within a few weeks. It is
      already breaching 140,000 words and I've said just
      about as much as there is to say in it. At the
      risk of tooting my own horn, it is a fu**ing
      masterpiece. I will be looking for a literary
      agent soon. If you know of any connects, please
      share them with me. My book is more of a
      mainstream project that will appeal to the masses,
      so I'm looking for a publishing avenue that goes
      beyond the local circuit. Only serious references
      please.

      Now that I'm on the final laps of writing my book
      (that is, after three straight months of writing
      for eight to ten hours a day, seven days a week),
      I can relax a little. I'm putting my thinking cap
      on regarding a big poetry show for August. I will
      send out information about how you can be featured
      when I have the details together.

      Have a safe 4th and here's some poetry gossip for
      you.

      CJ Laity

      ===================================

      Hear Emily Calvo at the next LIP Reading
      Thursday, July 5, 8 PM
      at the SPOT, 4437 N. Broadway
      Calvo is a long-time poet/supporter of Chicago's
      poetry scene. Her work has appeared in the Oyez
      Review (Roosevelt University Press), Colere (Coe
      College, Cedar Rapids, IA) and After Hours. She
      has performed in numerous schools, poetry
      festivals and events and spent three years as a
      poet-in residence at the Young Women’s Leadership
      Charter School in Chicago.

      Proceeds from this event will be donated to The
      Poetry Center of Chicago.

      ====================================

      PLEASE Mark Your Calendars! This July only, the
      Molly Malone’s Open Mic will be held the THIRD
      Monday of the month instead of the second Monday
      (as it has been for the last 10 years and will
      return to that schedule in August).

      Monday, July 16, (not the 9th) join us in
      welcoming our very special guest Simone Muench

      Simone Muench’s first book The Air Lost in
      Breathing won the Marianne Moore Prize (Helicon
      Nine, 2000), and her second Lampblack & Ash
      received the Kathryn A. Morton Prize (Sarabande
      Books, 2005). She has two chapbooks forthcoming:
      Orange Girl from dancing girl press and
      Sonoluminescence (with Bill Allegrezza) from
      Dusie. She has poems appearing or forthcoming in
      Iowa Review, Denver Quarterly, LUNA, and the
      anthology The City Visible: Chicago Poetry for the
      New Century. Currently, she directs the Writing
      Program at Lewis University, and is a contributing
      editor to Sharkforum.

      Molly Malone's Irish Pub
      7652 Madison Street
      Forest Park, IL
      708-366-8073

      $5 if you can, $3 if you can't

      7:00 -- open mic sign-up begins
      7:30 -- open mic
      8:45 -- featured reader
      9:15 -- open mic continues if necessary

      Poetry/fiction at Molly's is the second Monday of
      every month (except July 2007).

      =====================================

      Sandy Goldsmith will be reading at Cathleen
      Schandelmeier's Beach venue -- Loyola Beach at
      Greenleaf and the Lake -- on Sunday, July 22.
      4-5:30, with a round-robin open mike.

      Other Beach Poets features include:

      July 1 - Jacks - Young Chicago Author,
      performance poet and Alternative Idol Finalist
      2006, with Brad
      "Left-eye Lopez" poet and Sun Ra expert and Carol
      Rudy, specializing
      in ASL signing poetry!

      July 8 - Ed Roberson, a genuine professor of
      poetry!

      July 15 - Johnny Masewlicz author of "Professional
      Cemetary" published
      by Puddin'head - all the way from Jacksonville Fl.
      - Johnny returns to
      Chicago!

      July 22 - Sandy Goldsmith and
      Julia the Russian Magician

      August 5 - Dan & Jon Godston & Janet Krypers
      author of: many books
      (sneak a peek of Janet on YouTube!)

      August 12 - Vito Carli journalist and Columbia
      College professor, and
      Lawrence Santoro author of "North of Nowhere" and
      our special guest:
      Tekki Lomnicki founder of "Tellin' Tales Theater!"

      August 19 - Donna Pecore author of several
      chapbooks and Bob Rashkow,
      with funny poetry!

      Don't be left out, enter ChicagoPoetry.com's
      contest:

      http://chicagopoetry.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=692&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0