Re: Checking in (Sam Adams)

  • Sam Adams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      Thanks, Suzianne. I hope you enjoy it.

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"
      <suzianne411@...> wrote:

      > Dear Sam...It's great to hear from you once again. True crime is
      not
      > my genre of choice, but I could not resist ordering a copy of
      > Precious Blood from Amazon.com this morning. I am looking forward
      > a great read.
      >
      > Suzianne
      >

      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Adams" <appalbookworm@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I haven't been around lately because I've been busy promoting my
      > new
      > > book. I thought I thought I'd at least stop and say hello to
      Wings,

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2007
        Dear Sam,

        Your book, "Precious Blood," arrived yesterday and I was up reading
        it into the wee hours of this morning. It was fascinating. As I
        told you before, true crime is not my genre of choice when selecting
        books to read, but this was especially interesting. I have long
        maintained that ignorance is the handmaiden of evil. The young
        people who committed the crimes in this book are a clear example of
        that theory. One wonders if better schooling, a more diversified
        economy and greater opportunities to to expand their horizons beyond
        their origins might have prevented the tragedies.

        Our country debates urban poverty, crime and lack of education ad
        nauseum, but serious disscussions of societal ills in rural areas are
        seldom heard. Perhaps, it is time for the legislatures of the states
        and commonwealths to consider the universality of the blight that
        destroys souls. Traced to their sources, the origins of so many
        crimes crimes that tear at the fiber of communites can be traced to
        the same things, regardless of the locations.

        When I taught genealogy classes, I became fascinated with the tangled
        family webs of Eastern Kentucky and have had the opportunity to
        correspond with several people there regarding the sad history of
        feuds in Harlan, Perry and surrounding counties. Without exception,
        they were bright, interesting and decent people. It is sad that
        drugs, domestic violence, and boredom drag some young people in those
        communities into a quagmire of existance that ends in tragedy.

        Thank you for shedding some light on this. Your book should be a
        must-read for people in the area and in any place where the same
        crimes could be prevented. I wish you every success.

        Kindest regards,

        Suzianne

        P.S. I just Googled "Lechter County, Kentucky" and found Amazon.com
        lists six books, mostly dealing with music and genealogy. One book
        listed there has an ironic title, "Romantic Kentucky: More Than 300
        Things to Do for Southern Lovers" (Romantic South, 3) by Leila W.
        Salisbury and Laura E. Sutton (Paperback - Oct 2001). It is hard to
        believe the authors could be speaking of the same place that produced
        Jerome and April Boggs.

        wrote:

        > Thanks, Suzianne. I hope you enjoy it.
        >
        > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"
        > <suzianne411@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Sam...It's great to hear from you once again. True crime is
        > not
        > > my genre of choice, but I could not resist ordering a copy of
        > > Precious Blood from Amazon.com this morning. I am looking
        forward
        > > a great read.
        > >
        > > Suzianne
        > >

        > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Adams" <appalbookworm@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I haven't been around lately because I've been busy promoting
        my
        > > new
        > > > book. I thought I thought I'd at least stop and say hello to
        > Wings,
        > > > Suzianne, Trevor, and everyone else.
        > > >
        > > > To update you all, my book Precious Blood came out April 3 from
        > > > Pinnacle True Crime. I've been making the rounds with book
        > > signings,
        > > > interviews, and blogging. Hopefully I'll get back to doing some
        > > fiction
        > > > soon, and come back here more often than just once or twice a
        > year.

      • Sam Adams
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007
          Suzianne,

          Thanks for the kinds words about Precious Blood and please accept my
          apologies for not responding sooner. Since I last posted, I became a
          father for the third time, and with my other responsibilities I
          haven't had a chance to get back to T2W.

          Eastern Kentucky can be a hard place. Opportunies are few, but they
          do exist. Jerome Boggs had more advantages than many people here --
          his father was a teacher at one of the nearby colleges -- but for
          whatever reason, he chose not to use those advantages. Perhaps it was
          drugs, perhaps it was just a violent soul -- an accident of nature.

          Prescription drugs have taken a toll here the same as in the rest of
          rural America. I think many people see them as acceptable because
          they come from a doctor. Unfortunately, they are as addictive and as
          destructive as heroin or crack.

          While many in eastern Kentucky live the nightmare of poverty and
          addiction, it is also easy to see how this place could be seen as
          romantic. With its breathtaking landscapes and its pioneer lore,
          eastern Kentucky is a land unlike any other in America. It was the
          first frontier, the West before cowboys and cattle drives, the
          mysterious interior of an unexplored continent. For colonists, the
          land beyond the Alleghenys was Transylvania -- a vast land of
          adventure and of opportunities.

          There are many places in the western shadow of the Appalachian
          Mountains that still resemble the wilderness that caused Boone's
          heart to skip when we rambled onto a high ridge and looked out over
          the unbroken forests of the Dark and Bloody Ground.

          It is a land of contradictions, filled with character and with
          characters. Unfortunately, some of the characters are the type most
          often seen on the Post Office wall, but those same characters hide in
          the dark recesses of every county in America.

          I'm glad you enjoyed Precious Blood. I'm now working on another book
          involving a former homecoming queen, an ice pick and a nylon garote.
          Perhaps one day I'll move on from the dark underbelly of society to
          the more desirable parts of its anatomy.

          Sam