Re: “FINE EULOGY…UNSPOKEN”

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
      Dear Bernie...Oh, my! I am in awe. This is truly lovely and
      touching. You have a gift for using structured form and rhyme in
      such a natural way that the reader does not notice it, but has his or
      her eyes firmly focused on the music of the words and meaning of your
      verse. I read this aloud, and it sounds wonderful. It should not
      remain unspoken.

      Suzianne

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "rede2rollbaby"

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
        Hi Bernie

        I'm at it again and I offer an apology for my nit-picking.

        This time it concerns repetition of the word 'bereft' in close
        proximity. (both 1st and 2nd stanza)
        I realise you need to rhyme and I would not deign to suggest another
        word, but if you have one to hand I believe the verse would be the
        better for the use.

        As always
        with the greatest respect
        Wings
        <rede2rollbaby@...> wrote:

        > "FINE EULOGY…UNSPOKEN"
        >
        > Most, may have thought this man uncouth,
        > as bereft of social grace, and vile of phrase.
        > And granted, is that he was, to tell the truth,
        > but finer, are memories, time cannot erase.
        >
        > Age, had brought about this man's demise,
        > laid in his resting place, one sad void is left.
        > It rates as a contradiction…also a surprise,
        > society respected one, of any finesse, bereft.
        >
        > For pillars of society, usually remain aloof,
        > people less cultured, must know their place.
        > Yet, they are standing, their presence proof,
        > Integrity, counts far more than social grace.
        >
        > Nor is age a barrier…as youth shows respect,
        > to the man departed, one so coarse and hard.
        > The philosopher who bore but rustic intellect,
        > understood, for he had trod that hardest yard.
        >
        > Of common man, the sprinkling more profuse,
        > this man's comrades… from his working days.
        > Men like the late departed, all similarly obtuse,
        > at his final crossroad…the parting of the ways.
        >
        > Some women here genteel, others, less refined,
        > their station or calling made apparent by attire.
        > While menfolk likewise, have attribute defined,
        > this homage so diverse respect only can inspire.
        >
        > Words at requiem, so often but merely platitude,
        > a formality spoken by unknowing, for unknown.
        > The silent eulogy more fitting…each in solitude,
        > today, to one farewelled, a true dignity is shown.
        >
        > ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva…6-Jun-07.

      • rede2rollbaby
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
          --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "wings081" <wings081@...> wrote:

          >G'day Wings my old 'China',
          Goodonya, I noticed that after I posted
          the piece, [there is no edit facility I can see other tan delete /
          repost.], so I let the posting ride. My resident chief critic,
          Arline, also picked up on it. I've altered the first 'bereft'
          to 'devoid'.
          Cheers old Mate,
          Bernie.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2007
            G'day Susan,
            This rough and tumble old Aussie thanks you for your kind
            comments...Looking to check those U tube links over the weekend...hope
            they don't provide too much of a culture shock...
            It's about time I made some serious comments.
            Cheers,
            Bernie

            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"
            <suzianne411@...> wrote:

            > Dear Bernie...Oh, my! I am in awe. This is truly lovely and
            > touching. You have a gift for using structured form and rhyme in
            > such a natural way that the reader does not notice it, but has his
            or
            > her eyes firmly focused on the music of the words and meaning of
            your
            > verse. I read this aloud, and it sounds wonderful. It should not
            > remain unspoken.
            >
            > Suzianne

          • Bernard d

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
                Dear Bernie...Thank you for this remarkable eulogy. It is so fitting for several people I have known over the years who were worthy of far better than friend, kin or clergy could say with a straight face. I really enjoyed reading this.

                Suzianne

                --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard d" <rede2rollbaby@...> wrote:

                > "FINE EULOGY…UNSPOKEN"
                >
                > Most, may have thought this man uncouth,
                > as devoid of social grace, and vile of phrase.
                > And granted, is that he was, to tell the truth,
                > but finer, are memories, time cannot erase.
                >
                > Age, had brought about this man's demise,
                > laid in his resting place, one sad void is left.
                > It rates as a contradiction…also a surprise,
                > society respected one, of any finesse, bereft.
                >
                > For pillars of society, usually remain aloof,
                > people less cultured, must know their place.
                > Yet, they are standing, their presence proof,
                > Integrity, counts far more than social grace.
                >
                > Nor is age a barrier…as youth shows respect,
                > to the man departed, one so coarse and hard.
                > The philosopher who bore but rustic intellect,
                > understood, for he had trod that hardest yard.
                >
                > Of common man, the sprinkling more profuse,
                > this man's comrades… from his working days.
                > Men like the late departed, all similarly obtuse,
                > at his final crossroad…the parting of the ways.
                >
                > Some women here genteel, others, less refined,
                > their station or calling made apparent by attire.
                > While menfolk likewise, have attribute defined,
                > this homage so diverse respect only can inspire.
                >
                > Words at requiem, so often but merely platitude,
                > a formality spoken by unknowing, for unknown.
                > The silent eulogy more fitting…each in solitude,
                > today, to one farewelled, a true dignity is shown.
                >
                > ©. Copyright: Bernard de Silva

              • albiaicehouse
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
                  Bernard,

                  He must have been remarkable for so many to connect with his core.

                  Rod