Re: Long time lost.

  • albiaicehouse
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
      Richard,

      You had me all serious and pondering, then cuffed me playfully on the
      back of my noggin.

      Good one.

      albi

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Bates" <icyimeir@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > > > beautiful twin daughters. She lost Brianne at the age of three
      > > > months, and nearly lost Tiffany soon after. They saved her, but she
      > > > has a tracheotomy scar and she's developmentally delayed due to a
      > > > lack of oxygen to the brain. I myself have lost no less than seven
      > > > loved ones, including my best friend and my father, within a short
      > > > span of time. I'm still not quite over it. I think of them every
      > > > day. Needless to say, I can relate very well to pain, suffering and
      > > > loss. Often what we call a hardened heart is no more than a thin
      > > > shell that covers an extremely soft one that can simply bear no
      more
      > > > pain.
      > > >
      > > > If I may call you friend, I would like to say that you and your
      > > > family have friends that you don't even know about, praying for you
      > > > and yours and wishing you well. And since I'm about to talk myself
      > > > into tears sitting here, I'll leave off any further on that.
      > > >
      > > > If I haven't mentioned it, I've been a member here for quite some
      > > > time, but I rarely post. Not because I don't have time or interest,
      > > > but because I've always felt this group was just a wee bit over my
      > > > head. I'm a pretty good writer, I suppose, but I'm entirely self
      > > > taught. I have no laurels to rest on, no collegiate history to
      > > > relate, nor professors to quote. I only have crosses to bear and a
      > > > sweaty brow to wipe for my effort. I just decided one day that I
      > > > would write, and set about getting it done. To date, I've earned a
      > > > living both as a singer/musician and an artist, but I've never made
      > > > a dime as a writer. But I have hope and I have determination, and
      > > > that's gotta count for something.
      > > >
      > > > Lately I've been concentrating on songwriting and actually have
      made
      > > > plans to move to Nashville, Tennessee in a couple of years. I've
      > > > written poetry, several short stories and children's stories, and
      > > > the strong beginnings of two novels (that I've been putting
      off). As
      > > > yet, nothing has been published, mainly because nothing has been
      > > > submitted. ;}
      > > >
      > > > If it's ok with you, I would like to start posting again. I
      think my
      > > > skin is a little thicker than it was when last I posted, and I'd
      > > > love to get the group's opinions and critiques on my works. Maybe I
      > > > can get myself motivated enough to begin writing seriously again.
      > > >
      > > > If you haven't figured it out yet, I tend to be a little longwinded
      > > > (I'll try to shorten the posts up from now on).
      > > >
      > > > Lucky for you, my girlfriend just got in from work and is at this
      > > > very moment rushing me out the door to a New Year's Eve party. :)
      > > >
      > > > Happy New Year!
      > > >
      > > > Thank you,
      > > >
      > > > Michael
      > > >
      > > > ps. Can someone suggest where I might store my writing online?
      > > >
      > > > ===================================================================
      > > > "Somebody's boring me... I think it's me." - Dylan Thomas

    • Michael Renn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
        Thank you very much, Albi. But I don't think you're a bull at all.
        lol. If anything, I'm the bull. Bull headed, at the very least. As
        for being intimidated. Hmmm. I'm not so sure it's as much
        intimidation as it is feeling just a little out of place. For the
        record, I feel the same way around my sister with her Masters in
        English Rhetoric from UNC-G and my brother who double majored at
        Wake Forest in music AND German(showoff). I console myself with the
        knowledge that while they went ahead and got their degrees (and I
        give them due credit and praise for having done so), I'm smarter,
        more talented, better looking, and (he he)... I make more money.

        (Michael sticks his tongue out and razzes his siblings petulantly.)

        But you're right. Everyone here is good people, and I'll get over it
        soon enough. ;}

        Thanks again and take care,

        Michael

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
          Hi Wings,
          Apologies for having taken so long to respond to your post. I've
          been on the road and there are some things you just can't do on a
          PDA. As for my vital spark, it went cold last summer, when
          I allowed someone to steal my fire with their callous remarks. In
          actuality, what they stole from me was hope... and it's taken some
          time to get it back. I suffer with both ADD and Clinical Depression,
          both of which have gone untreated for some time now. As of last
          Saturday I'm back on my meds, so I hope to see some improvement. I
          really want to get back to writing. My true profession.

          I hope you don't mind my sharing this with you. I'm a firm believer
          in the truth that, 'a writer sometimes needs to open a vein.'

          As for fanning the 'fire into a conflagration', lol, how about I
          start with a blowtorch? I have a file cabinet full of old half
          finished songs and stories. ;} But then, I've got a better idea. How
          about I just finish something?

          As always Wings, bless you and your golden pen,...umm...keyboard. ;)

          Michael

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
            Hi Margaret, and thank you.

            You know, for the first few years after I really started trying to
            write seriously, I wouldn't call myself a writer. I had to hear
            someone else say that I was a writer. Quirky, huh? Well, that time
            came about six years ago, from the Nation's Mother of the Kispoko
            Shawnee. I was asked to write a letter of introduction and welcome
            to the Piqua sept of Shawnee, that our sept hadn't had contact with
            in over two hundred years. Needless to say, I was honored. I was
            also asked to write the opening speech for the Honor Ride, when
            Martin Yellowhawk and company began their 900 mile horseback ride to
            gain support for a federal native American holiday. I wrote the
            speech in about an hour (I'll try to locate and post it if anyone is
            interested). I can't take complete credit for writing it, because it
            seemed as if I was just a vessel for the muse. The words pretty much
            flew onto the paper. After it was delivered, there were tears in the
            eyes of several of those gathered. It was then that Dorothy
            Whitehawk, the Nation's Mother, called me a 'wordsmith'.

            Close enough.

            I think it was then that I finally knew what it was that I wanted to
            do with my life. I want to write. I started buying books and
            studying. I can't say that I'm unschooled, just that it wasn't a
            formal education. I think that's the greater part of being here, in
            a group such as this. I can get the feedback from talented,
            professional writers that I never got from a professor at a
            university. Maybe that's why I'm feeling a little (ok, Albi, you're
            right) intimidated. Everyone I know that has read my work has liked
            it, and wants to hear/read more, but they're laymen at best. What
            can I say? I'm here seeking professional help....of one sort or the
            other. ;} But what if you guys don't like it?! Gaack!

            As for being shy, I'm not so much anymore. I grew up with a near
            crippling shyness, but I've overcome it for the most part. (At 6'2",
            275, I didn't see much need for fear and shyness anymore. Ok, Albi,
            you can be the 'bull' in the china shop, but I'm definitely
            the 'bear' in residence:) I had such stage fright that I refused to
            play in a band for twenty years. But I finally made up my mind to
            get over it, and at the age of 39, I overcame my fears (or at least,
            pushed them aside temporarily) and got up on stage and played a gig.
            That was where I learned to laugh off mistakes and keep on getting
            it. The show must go on, you know?

            With that in mind, I decided to allow myself to write badly, and
            save the editing for afterwards. Now (where writing is concerned),
            I'm to that point of grabbing someone by the collar and thrusting a
            chapter into their face, and saying, "Here, read this!" lol. It's
            just that I'm hypercritical of my own work, and I won't usually let
            it out until it's as close to perfect as I can make it.
            unfortunately, that day hasn't come for my novel yet. What can I
            say, I'm a perfectionist. But I'm just about ready to start
            collecting rejection letters - for my short stories, at least. Too
            bad I can't make myself get up on stage and sing karaoke. ;}

            What a chicken s--t.

            Congratulations on your play! That's wonderful. Do you have it
            posted somewhere? I'd love to read it. What's it about? Is there a
            string on the group that discusses it?

            Thank you very much for your kind words, Margaret. I'm looking
            forward to getting to know you better.

            Take care,

            Michael

            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Magle"
            <ladybug_m@...> wrote:

            > Hi Michael,
            >
            > I agree with Wings. New Years is a great opportunity to put all
            our
            > 'failures' and unfinished projects behind us and start fresh.
            Every year I
            > have rejection burning party. I kept two rejection letters this
            year and
            > burned the rest, 45 in all.
            >
            > Anyone who seriously takes the time to put word on paper, and is
            willing to
            > work on perfecting that writing, is a writer, published or not.
            You sound
            > like you are so talented that you make me sick :).
            >
            > I have not yet written songs, unless you count a really bad disco
            song in
            > high school. I can't read music so writing it for me is
            definitely out. I
            > would like to learn though. Each year we have Jackson Brown come
            to town
            > for a festival and last year he held a song writing class. I
            missed it
            > because I was working, but I have it penciled in for this year. I
            also
            > learned how to write a stage play!
            >
            > It doesn't matter whether or not you went to school for writing,
            as long as
            > you read often and with an open mind, and you live and observe,
            you can
            > write. Be willing to learn. Be willing to say "I don't know"
            and "how do
            > you do that". In this past year I have swallowed by pride and
            forced myself
            > out of my shyness to say those words so many times. The end
            result, the
            > aforementioned play is going to appear on stage in February, a
            feat that
            > brings with it a whole new set of fears!
            >
            > I too have been lurking for a while. I post when I can with my
            schedule and
            > also when I feel I have something to contribute. It has taken me
            a while to
            > feel that what I have to say is important for someone to read
            (refer to
            > shyness above). But I have been working on my art for 9 years
            now, gone to
            > conferences and conventions, talked to writers both non published
            and New
            > York Times best seller published. I have sucked in advice like a
            sponge and
            > now, as one of my idols once told me, the onus is on me to share
            that
            > knowledge with people who are just starting out and who have the
            same fears,
            > doubts and questions I did when I started out.
            >
            > See, you're not the only one who gets long winded. I think it is
            the
            > writers curse! Either that or we tend to talk when amongst
            friends we feel
            > comfortable with.
            >
            > Happy New Year!
            > Margaret

            > Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com
            Football Page