Three Dogs

  • albiaicehouse
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006

      And to do their business
      Ignoring
      But mindful
      of the others.

      albi
      Copyright 2006
    • albiaicehouse
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27 7:58 PM
        Going time traveling through my old posted poems...

        Anyway here's one I the evidence is I never got crits on, but would welcome any now:

        Three Dogs

        One
        Moves like an iceberg
        With deep eyes
        That curve your gaze
        To the bottom
        Of the deep pool
        She drifts across.

        The next
        Moves with feet in a line
        Like a fox
        With a tongue
        That is always an eighth out
        Tasting the messages
        Drifting in the air.

        The third
        Leaps and flings
        Upon your arising
        Like a bursting trout
        Sporting among
        Quick silver droplets
        On arcing paths
        In the flat slanting rays
        Of the rising sun.

        The three jostle
        Out the back door.

        The black iceberg growls.

        The three disperse
        Across the dewy grass
        To sniff
        For evidence of interlopers
        And to do their business
        Ignoring
        But mindful
        of the others.

        albi
        Copyright 2006, 2009
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28 7:09 AM
          Hi Albi
          What an excellent observation of man's best friend.

          At one time my home was a resting place (perhaps a menagerie would be a better description)for six members of Canis familiaris.

          There was Lady, a female cavalier King Charles spaniel, a birthday present to my late wife.
          A one woman dog and woe betide anyone courageous enough to threaten its mistress.

          Scruffy, a Jack Russel Terrier another female and a proper little whore when in season.
          Presenting puppies so often I would advertise them free to a good home. No takers so I revised the advert naming a price and was inundated with enquiries. Such is the workings of the human mind.

          Juno, a Great Dane. A female gentle giant of whom I have spoken before on this site.

          Bengy, a Springer Spaniel. A male who would disappear for days on end if a local bitch was `on heat'and return covered in mud and with ears torn from fighting with other contenders for a lady's favours.

          Boysie, Bengy's brother but lacking Bengy's soft nature. Had to try to separate the two once and got well and truly bitten for my efforts, causing me to take a trip to the local physician for an injection of anti-rabies solution.

          Cindy, a Keeshond Dutch barge dog enjoying temporary domicile while my daughter moved house but overstaying her welcome by more than a few months.(Cindy, not my darling daughter)

          Apart from Boysie, this assemblage of animals got on well and was an example of mutual regard to be admired by Mankind, their bellicose masters.

          However come lawn cutting time, I had to first trek around with a barrow clearing away little and large presents these best friends had left for their hosts.

          I have no dogs at present and in passing I would say my least welcome animal would be a Chihuahua or Poodle, as I cannot abide a yapping dog. Perhaps I should settle for a Basenji the barkless dog from Africa.
          As Ogden Nash once said: " A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of"

          --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, albiaicehouse <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Going time traveling through my old posted poems...
          >
          > Anyway here's one I the evidence is I never got crits on, but would welcome any now:
          >
          > Three Dogs
          >
          > One
          > Moves like an iceberg
          > With deep eyes
          > That curve your gaze
          > To the bottom
          > Of the deep pool
          > She drifts across.
          >
          > The next
          > Moves with feet in a line
          > Like a fox
          > With a tongue
          > That is always an eighth out
          > Tasting the messages
          > Drifting in the air.
          >
          > The third
          > Leaps and flings
          > Upon your arising
          > Like a bursting trout
          > Sporting among
          > Quick silver droplets
          > On arcing paths
          > In the flat slanting rays
          > Of the rising sun.
          >
          > The three jostle
          > Out the back door.
          >
          > The black iceberg growls.
          >
          > The three disperse
          > Across the dewy grass
          > To sniff
          > For evidence of interlopers
          > And to do their business
          > Ignoring
          > But mindful
          > of the others.
          >

          > albi
          > Copyright 2006, 2009

        • detectivetraininginstitute
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28 5:00 PM
            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, albiaicehouse <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Going time traveling through my old posted poems...
            >
            > Anyway here's one I the evidence is I never got crits on, but would welcome any now:
            >
            > Three Dogs
            >
            > One
            > Moves like an iceberg
            > With deep eyes