RE: [ticket2write] Re: The Wake of the Hurricane ...

  • Johnny
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006

      Susan,

      It is practically the same all over the world when disaster is impending. The inhabitants of volcanic islands refuse to leave their possessions behind and flee when there is danger of an eruption, for example. Of course, there are some that are too stupid to save themselves. Not too long ago, in New Zealand, there was a warning that a tidal wave was expected. People flocked to the shores to watch it come in! Fortunately for them, it didn’t happen.

      Naturally, it is usually the poorer people that brave the imminent dangers hoping to save whatever they can. The richer ones are without doubt covered by insurances and can afford to rebuild if it be necessary.

      What really gets in my craw is the billions and billions of dollars that is spent by various governments interfering with another countries affairs and making enemies as a result. This money can be spent on more worthwhile things like hospitals, schools, education, medical research, improved living conditions for the less fortunate, the list is endless.

      There is a proverb that says, “Do not become inflamed at another man’s quarrel.” I think that should be heeded by governments, too.

      Johnny

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
        Dear Suzianne ... It's easy to be an expert from afar, although that
        is not my intent. I was vicariously affected by the tragedy through my
        niece, so my focus was her experiences. The aftermath seems to have
        hilighted many deep seated festering issues. The real tragedy, for me,
        is that the community broke down a long time before Katrina hit. That
        was the motivation for my piece. And no Suzianne, I don't think badly
        of the American people as I have been spoiled by your hospitality.

        Cheers,

        Manfred.

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue" <suzianne411@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > would "my" response be if similarly 'tried'. In all honesty, I
        > don't
        > > know!!
        > >
        > > With Respect,
        > >
        > > Manfred.
        > >

        > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "queen_of_cryptic_cyphers"
        > > <poetry4u@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Manny,
        > > >
        > > > Ah but how the green back ispires the ugly side of 'great' men.
        > It
        > > > now boils down to who will own what now and how much can they
        > get
        > > > from their investment.
        > > >
        > > > What of civility? Is it is dead.
        > > >
        > > > Sigh,
        > > > Gwen
        > > >
        > > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Manfred" <r_u_sirius2@>

        > > > flow.

        > > > distresses

        > > > climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385

      • Manfred
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
          Dear Gwen, That is so true that "nothing is what is appears". It's
          always prudent to scratch below the surface. News is well filtered
          before it reaches its audience. Some of those filters are bias,
          agendas and disinterest. So censorship is alive and well.

          Predictibly, the blame game has become an industry and ironies would
          become apparent after such an event (Katrina).

          I mentioned my vicarious involvement. What shocked me was that instead
          of the affected community 'circling the waggons' and pulling together
          to face a common foe, the people turned on eachother. That would
          indicate to me that the breakdown occured long before Katrina hit. I
          believe that this community breakdown is not confined to New Orleans
          but raises its head elsewhere in the wider World.

          Gwen, I refuse to think badly of my American friends.

          Hugs,