RE: [ticket2write] Re: Request for a Poem (Suzi)

  • David Roth
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
      Message
      Carol,

      Ditto what Gwen said.

      Dave

      "And sometimes, if I listen very closely, I can hear voices…"

      from Sometimes I Hear Voices

      my new book

      available at LuLu.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
        Dear Gwen,
        Compliments are always welcome--yes ma'am. Yay!! These are especially
        strong and poignant. I read recently that "the only way out is
        through." So that's where I am right now, living through it, separated
        in address for two and a half months, but much longer in many other
        ways, and standing on the precipice of divorce. I left the house for
        my own reasons and my son stayed behind. Although my children aren't
        little boys anymore (17 and 20 respectively), it's difficult to be
        apart from them and the same is true, for the most part, with them
        being apart from me.
        Trying to convey this message without actually saying those words was
        my challenge. If you and Dave complimented these poems, I think I hit
        the mark. I hope this helps someone else who feels the same as I do,
        and maybe also lets the children know it's okay to be sad, angry, or
        hurt...it's more than okay to feel, in fact, it's paramount.
        Carol

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Ames <poetry4u@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > It's not your fault.
        > I left your father,
        > I say
        > through the telephone
        > to that child I tucked
        > in bed each night,
        > the one who insisted
        > we read
        > "Goodnight Moon"
        > just one more time.
        >
        > You didn't do
        > anything wrong,
        > darling child.
        > But I still left
        > and you stayed behind
        > without me,
        > bewildered and angry
        > unsure of yourself
        > with your new world
        > crashing down like
        > a small house
        > made of paper
        > in the path
        > of a twister.
        >

        > CJ Carpenter
        >

        > Goodnight Son
        >
        > Moonlight spills through
        > the tall window
        > and I see your face
        > reflected in
        > my old beveled mirror.
        >
        > Miles across the grass
        > you sleep
        > in a house
        > where I don't live.
        >
        > My son awakens and
        > stares at the cold
        > harsh moon,
        > where no mother's song
        > dwells in soft shadows
        > and he turns his back
        > to the moonlight
        > and softly
        > cries himself
        > back to sleep.
        >

        > -- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue" <suzianne411@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > The following message just arrived from Wilda Morris:
        > >
        > > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
        > >
        > > Just thought I would let you know that I don't have an appropriate
        > > poem for the issue of The Pebble which I'm about to finish editing.
        > > The theme is children and divorce, and the poem should be
        > > appropriate FOR ADULTS who work with children in the church.
        > >
        > > Shorter poems are more likely to be accepted, though we do not have
        > > a line limit. We pay $15. We do not copyright The Pebble, and we
        > > give churches permission to copy the whole newsletter. We are open
        > > to various kinds of poems - we have accepted both free verse and
        > > rhyming poetry, including a sonnet.
        > >
        > > If you have a poem on this theme, something to make those who work
        > > with children think more deeply about what the children are going
        > > through, and want to submit it, please do so ASP! I'm trying to
        > > finish this issue this week.
        > >
        > > Upcoming themes - children and poverty and discipline.
        > >
        > > Wilda Morris
        > > wem@
        > >

        > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

        > Creative writing Professional writer Creative writing
        course Creative writing program Writing book Writing a book

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          Dear Dave,
          Thanks for your compliment. I saw Suzi's request for poems about
          children and divorce; out they came. I've done a great deal of
          journaling in the last two months. Journaling and heck, just putting
          words on the paper, helps me to deal with this difficult time in my
          lives. Perhaps these poems are, as Gwen points out, strong and
          emotional because of my compass point right now. I'll just keep
          sailing, tacking into the wind, and see where my ship leads me. That
          is all any of us can do. Now I'd better paddle over and read your
          poem. (Yes Dave, you can say it. I'm a little dinghy!!)
          Carol

          --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "David Roth" <davidjroth2002@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Carol,
          >
          > These are powerful, emotion filled pieces that clearly show the depth of
          > pain from Mom's perspective. Well written, my friend.
          >
          > Dave
          >

          > "And sometimes, if I listen very closely, I can hear voices…"
          >
          > "from Sometimes I Hear Voices"
          >
          > my new book
          >
          > available at HYPERLINK "http://www.lulu.com/DavesBookPlace"LuLu.com

          =Professional+writer&w3=Creative+writing+course&w4=Creative+writing+program&

          w5=Writing+book&w6=Writing+a+book&c=6&s=144&.sig=kAbJRQCpLj5BcWXWVAleng"Crea
          > tive writing HYPERLINK

          &w2=Professional+writer&w3=Creative+writing+course&w4=Creative+writing+progr

          am&w5=Writing+book&w6=Writing+a+book&c=6&s=144&.sig=xlSysgTZof0dZDyn16HzSA"P
          > rofessional writer HYPERLINK

          ting&w2=Professional+writer&w3=Creative+writing+course&w4=Creative+writing+p

          rogram&w5=Writing+book&w6=Writing+a+book&c=6&s=144&.sig=T9S9yztcSDqL5Gw_f6RS
          > Mg"Creative writing course
          > HYPERLINK

          iting&w2=Professional+writer&w3=Creative+writing+course&w4=Creative+writing+

          program&w5=Writing+book&w6=Writing+a+book&c=6&s=144&.sig=gnJ1zj0UMaTScItm2FY
          > elQ"Creative writing program HYPERLINK

          fessional+writer&w3=Creative+writing+course&w4=Creative+writing+program&w5=W

          riting+book&w6=Writing+a+book&c=6&s=144&.sig=6xzrNvtdHfTRM2F7GxTVwA"Writing
          > book HYPERLINK

          rofessional+writer&w3=Creative+writing+course&w4=Creative+writing+program&w5

          =Writing+book&w6=Writing+a+book&c=6&s=144&.sig=rmenU_6ltfF00i4JNdDeMg"Writin
          > g a book
          >
          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "HYPERLINK
          > "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ticket2write"ticket2write" on the web.

          > HYPERLINK

          > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK
          > "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          >

          > _____
          >

          > --

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            Dear Dave,
            This is a gentle lullaby which would certainly help any child deal
            with the grief of divorce. And it is grief. I have one minor stumbling
            block marked within the text below.

            wrote:

            > Susan, if you can use this, please feel free. Save the money and
            spend it
            > on gatting the message out to kids that when things go bad for Mommy and
            > Daddy, it's not the child's fault.
            >

            > Dave
            >

            > It's Not Your Fault
            >
            > By David Roth
            >
            > © 1st March, 2006
            >

            > It's not your fault, so please don't cry
            >
            > while Mommy and Daddy say goodbye.
            >
            > It's better that we say goodnight
            >
            > before there is another fight.
            >

            > There are some things we just can't explain,
            >
            > like when you asked about the rain,
            >
            > or wondered where the stars all go
            >
            > in daytime, and why flowers grow?
            >

            > We still believe in God above,
            >
            > and never doubt you are our love,(rework these last four words
            please....."are" next to "our" gives me a brain cramp)

            > but some things end because they ought,
            >
            > my little one, it's not your fault.
            >

            > Now kiss us quick, there's time to say,
            >
            > we love you, and for you we'll pray
            >
            > remember when life's storms assault,
            >
            > we love you. This is not your fault.
            >

            > "And sometimes, if I listen very closely, I can hear voices…"
            >
            > "from Sometimes I Hear Voices"
            >
            > my new book
            >
            > available at HYPERLINK "http://www.lulu.com/DavesBookPlace"LuLu.com

          • David Roth
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
              Message
              Hi Carol,

              Better now?

              Dave

              It's Not Your Fault (revised)
              By David Roth
              © 1st March, 2006

              It's  not your fault, so please don't cry
              while Mommy and Daddy say goodbye.
              It's better that we say goodnight
              before there is another fight.

              There are some things we just can't explain,
              like when you asked about the rain,
              or wondered where the stars all go
              in daytime, and why flowers grow?

              We still believe in God above,