call for poetry submissions

  • Diva
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2006
      Came across this call for poetry submissions.  Thought I would pass it along.

      Call for Poems
      **PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY**
      The Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
      is seeking submissions for an anthology of poetry
      on motherhood to be published in 2007.
      White Ink
      White Ink is a rare and unique anthology of poems
      on the theme of mothers. Beginning with a
      comprehensive critical introduction by editor and
      poet Rishma Dunlop, this book will explore the
      changing role of the mother in contemporary
      society by bringing together diverse poetic
      voices - female, male, Canadian and
      international. White Ink will select some of its
      poems from ARM Journal, the journal of the
      Association for Research on Mothering (ARM).
      However, White Ink will also include poems about
      motherhood that have not appeared in ARM Journal.
      The title, White Ink, is borrowed from Hélène
      Cixous' metaphor for mother's milk, a metaphor
      that grounds women's writing in the female body.
      Tentative section headings include: When Water
      Breaks: The Birth of the Mother; Apron Strings:
      Motherhood as Institution; Cutting the Cord:
      Mothers in Violent Times; Rocking the Cradle:
      Redefining Motherhood; Positively Glowing: The
      Beauty of the Mother.
      Established and emerging writers - female, male,
      Canadian and international - should submit 3-6
      poems along with a 50-word bio and contact info
      (including an E-mail address where you can be
      reached) to:
      Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
      726 Atkinson, York University
      4700 Keele Street
      Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
      (416) 736-2100 x 60366 Fax: (416) 736-5766
      arm@...
      Submissions in the body of E-mails are also
      acceptable. No attachments accepted. Please
      indicate White Ink in the subject header.
      Deadline: September 1, 2006

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2006
        Dear Diva...This should be interesting. I suppose I am cynical, but
        motherhood in 21st Century America is not something of which we can
        be very proud. Those children fortunate enough to survive their
        chances of being aborted and who manage to avoid being murdered by a
        parent or mother's boyfriend du jour are bundled off to daycare
        before they can talk, sent to an indifferent public school system
        and then expected to do their parents proud by doing well in
        university and gaining useful employment so they can pay the bills
        for what the previous generation demanded of a government too
        willing to exchange benefits for votes. Yep, that does sound
        cynical. But, I have spent enough time with young people who are
        barely acquainated with their parents and are miserable and unhappy,
        that I know parenting is not taken as seriously as it should be.
        Recently, I had a short conversation with a young man and he
        actually THANKED me for talking to him. Imagine that! A
        conversation with an adult was such a rare and special think that he
        felt the need to actually thank me. How sad.

        Suzianne

        P.S. Poems about water breaking? Good grief!

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Diva <the_only_data_diva@y...>
        wrote:

        > Came across this call for poetry submissions. Thought I would
        pass it along.

        > Call for Poems
        > **PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY**
        > The Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
        > is seeking submissions for an anthology of poetry
        > on motherhood to be published in 2007.
        > White Ink
        > White Ink is a rare and unique anthology of poems
        > on the theme of mothers. Beginning with a
        > comprehensive critical introduction by editor and
        > poet Rishma Dunlop, this book will explore the
        > changing role of the mother in contemporary
        > society by bringing together diverse poetic
        > voices - female, male, Canadian and
        > international. White Ink will select some of its
        > poems from ARM Journal, the journal of the
        > Association for Research on Mothering (ARM).
        > However, White Ink will also include poems about
        > motherhood that have not appeared in ARM Journal.
        > The title, White Ink, is borrowed from Hélène
        > Cixous' metaphor for mother's milk, a metaphor
        > that grounds women's writing in the female body.
        > Tentative section headings include: When Water
        > Breaks: The Birth of the Mother; Apron Strings:
        > Motherhood as Institution; Cutting the Cord:
        > Mothers in Violent Times; Rocking the Cradle:
        > Redefining Motherhood; Positively Glowing: The
        > Beauty of the Mother.
        > Established and emerging writers - female, male,
        > Canadian and international - should submit 3-6
        > poems along with a 50-word bio and contact info
        > (including an E-mail address where you can be
        > reached) to:
        > Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
        > 726 Atkinson, York University
        > 4700 Keele Street
        > Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
        > (416) 736-2100 x 60366 Fax: (416) 736-5766
        > arm@y...
        > Submissions in the body of E-mails are also
        > acceptable. No attachments accepted. Please
        > indicate White Ink in the subject header.
        > Deadline: September 1, 2006
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Bring words and photos together (easily) with

      • Diva
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2006
          Dear Suzianne,

          I would agree.  Parents today think having children is about as involved on a personal level as playing a video game.  Perhaps even less so.

          I was shaking my head when I read that call for submissions.  That's why I had to share it.

          regards

          Marge

          wrote:

          > Came across this call for poetry submissions.  Thought I would
          pass it along.

          >   Call for Poems
          > **PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY**
          > The Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
          > is seeking submissions for an anthology of poetry
          > on motherhood to be published in 2007.
          > White Ink
          > White Ink is a rare and unique anthology of poems
          > on the theme of mothers. Beginning with a
          > comprehensive critical introduction by editor and
          > poet Rishma Dunlop, this book will explore the
          > changing role of the mother in contemporary
          > society by bringing together diverse poetic
          > voices - female, male, Canadian and
          > international. White Ink will select some of its
          > poems from ARM Journal, the journal of the
          > Association for Research on Mothering (ARM).
          > However, White Ink will also include poems about
          > motherhood that have not appeared in ARM Journal.
          > The title, White Ink, is borrowed from Hélène
          > Cixous' metaphor for mother's milk, a metaphor
          > that grounds women's writing in the female body.
          > Tentative section headings include: When Water
          > Breaks: The Birth of the Mother; Apron Strings:
          > Motherhood as Institution; Cutting the Cord:
          > Mothers in Violent Times; Rocking the Cradle:
          > Redefining Motherhood; Positively Glowing: The
          > Beauty of the Mother.
          > Established and emerging writers - female, male,
          > Canadian and international - should submit 3-6
          > poems along with a 50-word bio and contact info
          > (including an E-mail address where you can be
          > reached) to:
          > Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
          > 726 Atkinson, York University
          > 4700 Keele Street
          > Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
          > (416) 736-2100 x 60366 Fax: (416) 736-5766
          > arm@y...
          > Submissions in the body of E-mails are also
          > acceptable. No attachments accepted. Please
          > indicate White Ink in the subject header.
          > Deadline: September 1, 2006
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Bring words and photos together (easily) with
          >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Alan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
            Dear Marge
            Allow me to second the sentiments of Suzianne regarding children.
            It was William Penn, he who set up Quaker settlements in America
            during the seventeenth century who wrote:
            "Men are generally more careful of the breed of their horses and
            dogs than of their children"
            I once appended my signature to an article I published in the press
            which suggested parents should be forced to sit exams to establish
            their right to procreate and failure to reach the required standard
            should result in the state removing the child from the parental
            influence. I did not suggest parents should have reached a high
            academic standard but rather they should be able to demonstrate they
            were capable of giving love and protection from harm to their issue.
            I was accused of trying to emulate Hitler and his super race of
            children bred from true Aryan (Nordic) stock. However my convictions
            still hold when I read of the shocking treatment of some of today's
            children.
            There is an old proverb which states: "He that has no children,
            brings them up well"

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > Established and emerging writers - female, male,
            > > Canadian and international - should submit 3-6
            > > poems along with a 50-word bio and contact info
            > > (including an E-mail address where you can be
            > > reached) to:
            > > Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
            > > 726 Atkinson, York University
            > > 4700 Keele Street
            > > Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
            > > (416) 736-2100 x 60366 Fax: (416) 736-5766
            > > arm@y...
            > > Submissions in the body of E-mails are also
            > > acceptable. No attachments accepted. Please
            > > indicate White Ink in the subject header.
            > > Deadline: September 1, 2006
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > > Bring words and photos together (easily) with
            > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.
            > >

            > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

            > Creative writing Professional writer Creative writing
            course Creative writing program Writing book Writing a book

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &
            more on new and used cars.

          • Gwen Ames
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
              Suzianne, Alan, and every other solemn minded critic of parents,

              You guys are such pessimists! What bunk! There are good poets and bad ones, good politcians and bad ones, good citizens and bad ones.....children and bad children .....good parents and bad ones.

              If you work in the service industry you meet more of the bad ones due to your professional responsibilities. Human beings have never earned the 'kindest living creature around' award. We procreate to allow people like you to be born. How do we know whether that is a good thing or bad thing? We trust.

              Gwen

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > 726 Atkinson, York University
              > > 4700 Keele Street
              > > Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
              > > (416) 736-2100 x 60366 Fax: (416) 736-5766
              > > arm@y...
              > > Submissions in the body of E-mails are also
              > > acceptable. No attachments accepted. Please
              > > indicate White Ink in the subject header.
              > > Deadline: September 1, 2006
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > > Bring words and photos together (easily) with
              > >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.
              > >

              > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

              >         Creative writing   Professional writer   Creative writing
              course     Creative writing program   Writing book   Writing a book

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              >  Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Lambert
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
                Gwen,

                Bravo on your defense of mothers.  I had an evil grandmother.  She treated my mother and her brother as though they were evil spawn.  Though mentally ill all of her adult life, my mother was able to function well as a parent--she certainly didn't pass the evil along.  She sits in a nursing home now at the age of 94 and still recounts some of the terrible things her mother did.

                I am confident that my mother is not an exception.  Many women surpass their mothers in parenting--as men do their fathers.  My mother was dead set on never subjecting her children to what she and her brother endured, and she succeeded.  Both my sisters would say the same.

                I have watched both my daughter and my daughter-in-law excel as mothers for the last few years. I expect my granddaughters to do the same when their time comes..

                Being a mother is by far the toughest job in the world and, as you say, some are going to be better than others.

                Jim Lambert

                P. S. My wife of 41 years has been a great mother, too.  She now describes herself as a professional grandmother.
              • Alan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                  Dear Gwen
                  You are new here and very welcome to this group. However I need to
                  take issue with you concerning your post 26051.quote:"Solemn minded
                  critics of parents. Pessimists. What bunk. Procreate to allow people
                  like you to be born"unquote.
                  My dear young lady, you may vituperate me (the supreme optimist) to
                  your heart's content but please refrain from including Suzianne in
                  your ebullition against those of us who speak our minds in an
                  endeavour to make this planet a safer and more agreeable place in
                  which to raise future generations.
                  Many years ago, I became a self appointed champion of our Suzianne
                  and I will not stand idly by whilst you or any other writer draws
                  her name into disrepute.
                  Do not for one moment think Suzianne cannot speak for herself, for
                  over the years and as you are sure to discover in the future, she
                  has been our mainstay. Outspoken when needs be but always with
                  kindness and with invaluable advice to those who will listen,
                  whether they be students of the written word or masters of our craft.

                  From what you have written so far, I am sure you are going to be a
                  great asset to this group and I trust you will not have taken
                  offence at anything I have written here.
                  But in future, if you feel the need to throw the crockery at anyone,
                  be my guest, for I'm used to it. Swords at ten paces or handbags at
                  dawn. Your choice.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Dear Wings...What a wonderful way to start my day, knowing God is in
                    Heaven and Wings is here on earth to protect me. You truly do light
                    up my life.

                    Suzianne

                    --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <wings081@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > >
                    > > > P.S. Poems about water breaking? Good grief!
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Diva
                    > > <the_only_data_diva@y...>

                    > > > pass it along.

                    > > > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

                    > > > Creative writing Professional writer Creative
                    > writing
                    > > course Creative writing program Writing book Writing a
                    > book

                    of
                    > > Service.
                    > > >

                    > > > ---------------------------------
                    > > >

                    > > > ---------------------------------
                    > > > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
                    &
                    > > more on new and used cars.
                    > > >

                    > > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

                    > > Creative writing Professional writer Creative
                    writing
                    > course Creative writing program Writing book Writing a

                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Dear Suzi
                      And you, dear lady,do many times lighten our darkness on this site.
                      As ever

                      Wings

                      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"
                      <suzianne411@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > by
                      > daycare
                      > > system
                      > > bills
                      > > are
                      > > > unhappy,
                      > > be.
                      > > that
                      > > > he

                      > > > <the_only_data_diva@y...>

                      > would

                      > > writing
                      > > > course Creative writing program Writing book Writing a
                      > > book

                      > of
                      > > > Service.

                      > &
                      > > > more on new and used cars.
                      > > > >

                      > > > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

                      > > > Creative writing Professional writer Creative
                      > writing
                      > > course Creative writing program Writing book Writing a

                    • Gwen Ames
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                        Alan,

                        I was not being totally crude, just joking with you all. But I am trembling in fear now of some day accidentally insulting Ms. Suzianne. I really do try never to insult anybody but you guys were being a bit pessimistic and grumudgin like, weren't you? And if you read the last part of my message....it said:   'We procreate to allow people like you to be born. How do we know whether that is a good thing or bad thing? We trust.'

                        In other words, we have to believe everything works out somehow....

                        And Alan, the only sword I own happened to have belonged to my dear old father from WWII and it is a bit rusty so could you put yours away until I have had the opportunity to take some fencing classes? I never, ever throw handbags.

                        Gwen

                        Alan <wings081@...> wrote:
[...]

                        From what you have written so far, I am sure you are going to be a
> [...]

                        > > > Deadline: September 1, 2006
                        > > >

                        > > > ---------------------------------
                        > > > Bring words and photos together (easily) with
                        > > >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.
                        > > >

                        > > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

                        > >         Creative writing   Professional writer   Creative
                        writing
                        > course     Creative writing program   Writing book   Writing a
                        book

                        > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                        > Service.
                        > >

                        > > ---------------------------------
                        > >

                        > > ---------------------------------
                        > >  Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &
                        > more on new and used cars.
                        > >

                        > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

                        >         Creative writing   Professional writer   Creative writing
                        course     Creative writing program   Writing book   Writing a book

                      • Alan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Dear Gwen
                          "Trembling in fear" You should be quaking in your boots.
                          I'm sure Suzianne never took your remarks as an insult for she is a
                          most affable person and I cannot ever envisage her 'getting her
                          dander up'over a few innocent words.
                          I could sing her praises until the cows come home but I am always
                          wary of pouring syrup on the pancake when a husband's in the offing.

                          Re. "We trust" Regard the proverb: "If we trust before we try,we may
                          repent before we die."

                          Good to have you aboard Gwen