The moral of the story.

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
      The moral of the story

      "Stand up Tommy" the teacher said "a story you must tell,
      Make it sound exciting and with a moral end as well"

      Now Tommy had an auntie, Lizzie Watkins was her name
      He'd tell the tale of exploits, which gave aunt Lizzie fame

      "I have an aunt" said Tommy " who was fighting in the war"
      The teacher said "Oh really" the kids, in unison said "Cor!"

      "Her plane was hit by missiles and out she had to bail
      but Liz was always ready, her courage would not fail

      She took a bottle of whiskey, machine gun and sabre too
      Drank the whiskey as she fell, well what better thing to do

      She knew that if she dropped it as she landed on the grass
      The bottle would be broken, leaving her with nought but glass

      She landed smack in the middle, of one hundred enemy troops
      Killed seventy by machine gun, as the leader shouted "Oops!"

      Her bullets spent she used her sabre and chopped down twenty more
      And when the blade broke, with her bare hands, finished half a
      score.

      "Good heavens" said the teacher "that is quite some story
      Now tell us where the moral is, if indeed it's not too gory"

      "To understand the moral Miss, you need not be Aristotle
      just keep clear of Auntie Liz, when she's been at the bottle"

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
        Dear Wings: What a delightful story! You may be sure I will recite
        it the next time I am invited to supper at the Watkins' house.

        Suzianne

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > The moral of the story
        >
        > "Stand up Tommy" the teacher said "a story you must tell,
        > Make it sound exciting and with a moral end as well"
        >
        > Now Tommy had an auntie, Lizzie Watkins was her name
        > He'd tell the tale of exploits, which gave aunt Lizzie fame
        >
        > "I have an aunt" said Tommy " who was fighting in the war"
        > The teacher said "Oh really" the kids, in unison said "Cor!"
        >
        > "Her plane was hit by missiles and out she had to bail
        > but Liz was always ready, her courage would not fail
        >
        > She took a bottle of whiskey, machine gun and sabre too
        > Drank the whiskey as she fell, well what better thing to do
        >
        > She knew that if she dropped it as she landed on the grass
        > The bottle would be broken, leaving her with nought but glass
        >
        > She landed smack in the middle, of one hundred enemy troops
        > Killed seventy by machine gun, as the leader shouted "Oops!"
        >
        > Her bullets spent she used her sabre and chopped down twenty more
        > And when the blade broke, with her bare hands, finished half a
        > score.
        >
        > "Good heavens" said the teacher "that is quite some story
        > Now tell us where the moral is, if indeed it's not too gory"
        >

        > "To understand the moral Miss, you need not be Aristotle
        > just keep clear of Auntie Liz, when she's been at the bottle"

      • Cheryl
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
          *laughs* oh Wings! Thank you! I needed that!

          Cheryl
        • Carol
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
            Dear Wings,
            Great story as always. This gal reminds me of my grandmother who
            passed away two years ago at the age of 97. Grand lady who
            faithfully, goos year or bad, rooted for the Detroit Tigers and
            always had a bottle of whiskey in her cupboard for, as she
            said, "medicinal purposes." She rode to Sturgis (huge motorcycle
            rally in South Dakota) in her seventies on the back my cousin's
            Harley and would have gone skydiving on her eightieth birthday, but
            her cardiologist talked her out of it. Nothing kept
            her down until she had a stroke at 92 and lost the use of one arm and
            one leg. Thanks for reviving some nice memories for me.
            Always,
            Carol

            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > The moral of the story
            >
            > "Stand up Tommy" the teacher said "a story you must tell,
            > Make it sound exciting and with a moral end as well"
            >
            > Now Tommy had an auntie, Lizzie Watkins was her name
            > He'd tell the tale of exploits, which gave aunt Lizzie fame
            >
            > "I have an aunt" said Tommy " who was fighting in the war"
            > The teacher said "Oh really" the kids, in unison said "Cor!"
            >
            > "Her plane was hit by missiles and out she had to bail
            > but Liz was always ready, her courage would not fail
            >
            > She took a bottle of whiskey, machine gun and sabre too
            > Drank the whiskey as she fell, well what better thing to do
            >
            > She knew that if she dropped it as she landed on the grass
            > The bottle would be broken, leaving her with nought but glass
            >
            > She landed smack in the middle, of one hundred enemy troops
            > Killed seventy by machine gun, as the leader shouted "Oops!"
            >
            > Her bullets spent she used her sabre and chopped down twenty more
            > And when the blade broke, with her bare hands, finished half a
            > score.
            >
            > "Good heavens" said the teacher "that is quite some story
            > Now tell us where the moral is, if indeed it's not too gory"
            >

            > "To understand the moral Miss, you need not be Aristotle
            > just keep clear of Auntie Liz, when she's been at the bottle"

          • Tovli
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
              Wings--what a cute little story, poem.  thanks for sharing it.

              tovli

              Yahoo! Personals
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                Dear Suzi

                Please be careful if you are invited to the Watkins.
                When aunt Lizzie's eyes start to glaze over and she gets that
                peculiar twitch, 'tis time to reach for your hat and coat.

                As ever Wings

                --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                  Dear Cheryl
                  Belated congratulations on passing the CPA exam.
                  I look forward to reading some of your work on this site.
                  Glad you found my little bit of nonsense amusing.It is so true when
                  they say 'Laughter is the best medicine'

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                    Dear Carol

                    Your grandmother must have been a great character.
                    Too many of today's youngsters tend to treat the elderly as
                    wrinkleys with 'the court cards missing from their deck'
                    If only they took the time out to listen to the adventures of the
                    past,they may come to realise there is more to life than video games
                    and false lifts gained from alcohol and noxious substances.

                    I had a grandad who was active until the day he died aged 99yrs.
                    he used to catch the train to town to meet up with his cronies and
                    to place bets on the Gee Gees.
                    One day he was a little late at the bus stop.It was one of those
                    double decker buses with a rear platform and grab rail.
                    Well as I say,Grandad was late and the bus started to pull away.
                    Now that wasn't good enough for grandad. He reached out with his
                    walking stick and hooked it around the grab rail hoping to stop the
                    bus. Well,it didn't work as he expected and he was dragged to the
                    ground.Luckily the conductor saw him and stopped the bus.None the
                    worse for his spill grandad continued on his way.
                    They don't make 'em like that any more do they?

                    --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carol_emt87@y...>

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                      Hi Tovli

                      So glad my bit of nonsense amused you.I may not win the booker prize
                      for literature but if I can make someone smile when perhaps they are
                      having a bad day, then the effort was worth it.

                      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Tovli <tovli102@y...> wrote:

                      > Wings--what a cute little story, poem. thanks for sharing it.
                      >
                      > tovli
                      >

                      > Tovli "Linnie" Simiryan
                      > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeej44z/tovli1
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Yahoo! Personals
                      > Skip the bars and set-ups and start using Yahoo! Personals for
                      free

                    • Carol
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                        Dear Wings,
                        My grandma Ruth was a very unique lady. She volunteered at a nursing
                        home, reading to the residents among other things, cheering them up
                        for many years even when she was already older than most of them. I
                        suspect it kept her young. She also puzzled out crosswords and word
                        searches to exercise her mind. And I never heard her say a single bad
                        word about anyone either. She did get pissed off at her own body
                        after the stroke took away her ability to drive. Very independent
                        strong willed lady with a great sense of humor, hard headed and soft
                        hearted. I can only hope to emulate a few of her better qualities.
                        Always,
                        Carol

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                          Dear Carol

                          Just a little show of appreciation to your Grandma.

                          Epitaph to a fine old lady.

                          A wonderful lady was old grandma Ruth.
                          But a bit of a tomboy, to tell you the truth.
                          To Sturgis Dakota on the back of a Harley
                          Too fast to tell, whether wheat or barley
                          Grew in the fields as they travelled along
                          With hair flying wild and singing a song
                          She cared not a fig, as they went in the red
                          She's been at the whiskey everyone said
                          Now she wasn't a drunk or a sot let me tell
                          But for medicinal purpose it suited her well
                          She wanted to skydive at ten thousand feet
                          But doc said "No way" so that got her beat
                          So she gargled with whiskey, a bottle or more
                          Rooted for the Tigers `til her throat was sore
                          She would be there today in front of the crowd
                          If the good lord had let her, if she'd been allowed,
                          To put down her crossword and join in the roar
                          As Dave Dombrowski urged his team to score.
                          So raise up your glass, whether `tis sunshine or shady
                          Drink a toast to grandma Ruth, a wonderful lady

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > Great story as always. This gal reminds me of my grandmother
                          who
                          > > > passed away two years ago at the age of 97. Grand lady who
                          > > > faithfully, goos year or bad, rooted for the Detroit Tigers
                          and
                          > > > always had a bottle of whiskey in her cupboard for, as she
                          > > > said, "medicinal purposes." She rode to Sturgis (huge
                          motorcycle
                          > > > rally in South Dakota) in her seventies on the back my
                          cousin's
                          > > > Harley and would have gone skydiving on her eightieth
                          birthday,
                          > > but
                          > > > her cardiologist talked her out of it. Nothing kept
                          > > > her down until she had a stroke at 92 and lost the use of one
                          arm
                          > > and
                          > > > one leg. Thanks for reviving some nice memories for me.

                        • Tovli
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                            Wings--when you commented on my first poem submission you said you were not into poetry!   I think you write great rhyme and it is fun to read.  Thanks.

                          • Carol
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
                              Dear Wings,

                              Thank you. You are spoiling me. I love the poem and I'm sure grandma
                              Ruth would be honored. I can hear her giggle from here.

                              Always,
                              Carol