Halloween

  • the_only_data_diva
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 9, 2005

      for me.

      10/31/03

      Appears on my CD WordFaery eclectic
      http://www.cafepress.com/stripedsocks

      .
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 10, 2005
        Hey Marge,
        If only our group had an audio exchange...... This poem is sooo much
        more vibrant when spoken by you, my dear. If it's on line, please
        send the link to the group. Your sass and ironic sarcasm come
        shining through with every word, every inflection. Do keep those
        Snickers well guarded!! Still to this day I love those black and
        orange peanut butter kisses.
        I'm in the process of writing Halloween based verses for a Christmas
        song. In choir (no laughing!!), they have us practicing Christmas
        songs already. So I'm altering a verse or two of the song "Believe"
        from the movie "Polar Express" with blood, goblins, and ghosts in
        the graveyard. Fun and gruesome stuff!!
        Carol
        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "the_only_data_diva"
        <the_only_data_diva@y...> wrote:

        > Children
        > extolling
        > extortion
        > darken my door.
        >
        > Bubble gum,
        > Snickers, pieces
        > to fill their sacks ~
        > fat little brats.
        >
        > Unsuspecting little people
        > absorbed by the ritual at the door
        > think, what a cool decoration
        > that thing in the dark by the door,
        >
        > that springs with a yowl
        > and a rheumy growl to scatter
        > beggars screaming
        > for their Mommies
        >
        > Hump-backed and chuckling
        > collects dropped candy treasures,
        > rummages for the good stuff
        > then waits to strike again.
        >
        > A good trade methinks, cheap candy
        > and a lung ripping scare for them
        > and all the good candy
        > for me.
        >
        > 10/31/03
        >

        > Appears on my CD WordFaery eclectic
        > http://www.cafepress.com/stripedsocks
        >

        > .

      • Diva
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 10, 2005
          By request, here's the link to my reading of  Halloween.

          Please use this link: http://www.cafepress.com/stripedsocks.14320613   and click on Halloween.  It should work.

          bwahahahahaha!

          Marge

          <the_only_data_diva@y...> wrote:

          > Children
          > extolling
          > extortion
          > darken my door.
          >
          > Bubble gum,
          > Snickers, pieces
          > to fill their sacks ~
          > fat little brats.
          >
          > Unsuspecting little people
          > absorbed by the ritual at the door
          > think, what a cool decoration
          > that thing in the dark by the door,
          >
          > that springs with a yowl
          > and a rheumy growl to scatter
          > beggars screaming
          > for their Mommies
          >
          > Hump-backed and chuckling
          > collects dropped candy treasures,
          > rummages for the good stuff
          > then waits to strike again.
          >
          > A good trade methinks, cheap candy
          > and a lung ripping scare for them
          > and all the good candy
          > for me.
          >
          > 10/31/03
          >

          > Appears on my CD  WordFaery eclectic
          > http://www.cafepress.com/stripedsocks
          >

          > .

        • David Roth
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2005
            Message
            Oh man - a little bit of Tocata and Fuge in D Minor, some creaking door hinges, and an 'I'll get you, my pretty...and your little dog, too" voice to read this, and what an absolute delight!  Nice work!

            It reminds of of the year I went to my dentist and had him glue temp caps in the appropriate places; to my ex-wife's stylist for a black rinse and some sculpting, and to my doc, who gave me this funny little pill that, after about 20 minutes of absolute nausia that made me feel like I was going to hurl parts of China, left me so pale for the next 8 hours that I didn't need make-up.  A little of the right lighting and music, a perfect costume, and I think we had only about 4 kids that sctually thought the trip was worth the scare  LOL

            Interestingly, next year when I did something completely benign, the kids would get about half way up the walk - stop - and say something like - hey - I ain't going up there - that's where the monster lives!

            LOL

            Dave

            "Vrede best, zei de kikker tegen de ooievaar"

            “Peace is best, said the frog to the stork”

            Dutch Proverb

            Visit me at Dave’s Place

            Join in on the fun at Dave’s Poetry Place

            Plan a meal at Dave’s Cooking Place

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 31, 2006
                        Children
                        extolling
                        extortion
                        darken my door.
                        Bubble gum,
                        Snickers, pieces
                        to fill their sacks ~
                        fat little brats.
                        Unsuspecting little people
                        absorbed by the ritual at the door
                        think, what a cool decoration
                        that thing in the dark by the door,
                        that springs with a yowl
                        and a rheumy growl to scatter
                        beggars screaming
                        for their Mommies
                        Hump-backed and chuckling
                        collects dropped candy treasures,
                        rummages for the good stuff
                        then waits to strike again.
                        A good trade methinks, cheap candy
                        and a lung ripping scare for them
                        and all the good candy
                        for me.

                        bwahahahahahahahaha !

                        Hear the above read (the more fun version from the CD) at the following link:
                        http://www.xanga.com/wordfaery
                        just click the audio thingie

                      • Diva
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
                          The following poem appears on my CD  eclectic.   You can hear it at this link:

                           http://audio.xanga.com/WordFaery/a929f1399623/audio.html

                          Children
                          extolling
                          extortion
                          darken my door.

                          Bubble gum
                          Snickers, pieces
                          to fill their sacks—
                          fat little brats.
                          Unsuspecting little people
                          absorbed by the ritual at the door
                          think, what a cool decoration
                          that thing in the dark by the door
                          that springs with a yowl
                          and a rheumy growl to scatter
                          beggars screaming
                          for their mommies.
                          Hump-backed and chuckling
                          collects dropped candy treasures
                          rummages for the good stuff
                          then waits to strike again.
                          A good trade methinks. Cheap candy
                          and a lung ripping scare for them
                          and all the good candy
                          for me.
                          muahaha
                          (c) 10/31/03 MMerrill

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 19, 2007
                            Halloween is such a fun holiday to write about. An endless selection
                            of sights and sounds to fill a page. I wasn't sure about the word "me
                            thinks" at first, but reading it several times, Me thinks it's the
                            selling point of the piece.

                            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Diva <the_only_data_diva@...>
                            wrote:

                            > The following poem appears on my CD eclectic. You can hear it at
                            this link:

                            > http://audio.xanga.com/WordFaery/a929f1399623/audio.html
                            >

                            > Children
                            > extolling
                            > extortion
                            > darken my door.
                            >

                            > Bubble gum
                            > Snickers, pieces
                            > to fill their sacks—
                            > fat little brats.
                            >
                            > Unsuspecting little people
                            > absorbed by the ritual at the door
                            > think, what a cool decoration
                            > that thing in the dark by the door
                            > that springs with a yowl
                            > and a rheumy growl to scatter
                            > beggars screaming
                            > for their mommies.
                            > Hump-backed and chuckling
                            > collects dropped candy treasures
                            > rummages for the good stuff
                            > then waits to strike again.
                            >
                            > A good trade methinks. Cheap candy
                            > and a lung ripping scare for them
                            > and all the good candy
                            > for me.
                            > muahaha
                            >
                            > (c) 10/31/03 MMerrill

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Diva
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 20, 2007
                              Paul,

                              Welcome to T2W.  Thanks for the comment.  The "methinks" sounds best on the spoken version.  :o)

                              Marge

                              wrote:

                              > The following poem appears on my CD eclectic. You can hear it at
                              this link:

                              > http://audio. xanga.com/ WordFaery/ a929f1399623/ audio.html
                              >

                              > Children
                              > extolling
                              > extortion
                              > darken my door.
                              >

                              > Bubble gum
                              > Snickers, pieces
                              > to fill their sacks—
                              > fat little brats.
                              >
                              > Unsuspecting little people
                              > absorbed by the ritual at the door
                              > think, what a cool decoration
                              > that thing in the dark by the door
                              > that springs with a yowl
                              > and a rheumy growl to scatter
                              > beggars screaming
                              > for their mommies.
                              > Hump-backed and chuckling
                              > collects dropped candy treasures
                              > rummages for the good stuff
                              > then waits to strike again.
                              >
                              > A good trade methinks. Cheap candy
                              > and a lung ripping scare for them
                              > and all the good candy
                              > for me.
                              > muahaha
                              >
                              > (c) 10/31/03 MMerrill

                              > Do You Yahoo!?
                              > http://mail. yahoo.com

                            • Jerry S
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 30, 2011
                                Happy Halloween and Happy Samhain to one and all. May this season bring bright blessings to one and all.

                                As always,
                                Jerry
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 31, 2011
                                  Jerry old pal
                                  I thank you on behalf of all members for your kind benediction on this special time of the almanac.
                                  You still have a few hours left over your way to compose a tale or verse of necromancy.
                                  Who knows,make it really scary and you may be the means of relieving a body of the pernicious complaint of lostiveness.

                                  Good to see you on board

                                  --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry S" <jerry5849@...> wrote:

                                  > Happy Halloween and Happy Samhain to one and all. May this season bring bright blessings to one and all.
                                  >
                                  > As always,
                                  > Jerry

                                • Jerry S
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 31, 2011
                                    Wings my old friend,

                                    I had not intended to write anything for the holiday, but reconsidered after reading your post. I sat down and began to write something which I hope will entertain.

                                    As always,
                                    Jerry