The Wake of the Hurricane ...

  • Manfred
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2005
      The Wake of the Hurricane
      (c) Manfred Vijars(September 2005)

      The pillars of my Country are the Mansions of Community
      Our pioneers strove hard to gain a better life for all.
      From here amongst the rubble witness acts of great impunity;
      Where the scrabble for survival turns into an all out brawl.

      Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
      (There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve)
      No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
      Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!

      Are our Mansions of Community now all beyond repair,
      battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
      From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
      I search and search and search and search for dreams lost long ago.
    • nigel_tiptoe
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 5, 2005
        Manfred

        Please see my reply to Carol and Matt, and remember that among the
        acts of 'impunity' will be many, perhaps less reported, of humanity.
        I cannot believe that in that place, at that terrible time, there
        was not bravery and selflessness aplenty.
        Nigel

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Manfred" <r_u_sirius2@h...>

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 7, 2005
          Hi Nigel, I'm sorry I just noticed your comment .. I agree with you
          that there is bound to be stories of heroism .. I should have prefaced
          this piece with "... according to what the media selectivly dishes up
          to us out here in Australia" ... this piece is in no way a
          'fingerpointing' excercise but a melancholy reflection on the demise
          of 'community' generaly.

          I know that The US is generous to a fault and Americans are not only
          generous but extremly hospitable. With a cousin in Cleveland and a
          daughter in St Lois, I have an affectionate connection with your side
          of the Big Puddle (Pacific).

          I also have a niece on holidays over there who just happened to be in
          New Orleans during Katrina and was directed to the Superbowl. She, and
          a number of other fellow Aussies were in fear of their lives! And that
          comes as a bit of a shock to the system!! She is curently in Houston
          and plans to complete her itiniary.

          Matt Lamoreux has a moving piece titled "This Is My City" whice I hope
          he'll post on this list.

          Cheers,

          Manfred.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2006
            The Wake of the Hurricane
            (c) Manfred Vijars - September 2005

            The pillars of my Country are the Mansions of Community
            Our pioneers strove hard to gain a better life for all.
            From here amongst the rubble witness acts of great impunity;
            Where the scramble for survival turns into an all out brawl.

            Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
            There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve.
            No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
            Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!

            Are the Mansions of Community now far beyond repair,
            battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
            From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
            I search and search and search and search for hope rent in the flow.
            ---

            Hell hath no fury: Katrina's weight\
            New Orleans a year after Katrina remains a city of multiple distresses
            and defiant hope, reports Jim Gabour.

            http://www.opendemocracy.net/globalization-climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385
            9.jsp
          • GeorgeAnne

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 30, 2006
                Hi GeorgeAnne, thanks for your comment and suggie. My niece was
                holidaying with friends in New Orleans at the time of Katrina and was
                directed to the superbowl to sit it out. Both she and her friend
                feared for their lives. This piece came about after talking with her
                in the aftermath.

                Cheers,

                Manfred.

                --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "GeorgeAnne" <namaste_1@...> wrote:

                > Hi Manfred,
                >
                > There is a lot to think about in this one. Deep thoughts, for sure.
                I think it`s great, says much, and you wrote it to the point. Myself,
                I`d cut the word "search" to three repetitions in the last line. Just
                my own view on it:)

                > Cheers,
                >
                > GeorgeAnne
                >

                > The Wake of the Hurricane
                > (c) Manfred Vijars - September 2005
                >
                > The pillars of my Country are the Mansions of Community
                > Our pioneers strove hard to gain a better life for all.
                > From here amongst the rubble witness acts of great impunity;
                > Where the scramble for survival turns into an all out brawl.
                >
                > Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
                > There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve.
                > No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
                > Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!
                >
                > Are the Mansions of Community now far beyond repair,
                > battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
                > From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
                > I search and search and search and search for hope rent in the flow.
                > ---
                >
                > Hell hath no fury: Katrina's weight\
                > New Orleans a year after Katrina remains a city of multiple distresses
                > and defiant hope, reports Jim Gabour.

                http://www.opendemocracy.net/globalization-climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385
                > 9.jsp

              • queen_of_cryptic_cyphers
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 31, 2006
                  Manny,

                  Ah but how the green back ispires the ugly side of 'great' men. It
                  now boils down to who will own what now and how much can they get
                  from their investment.

                  What of civility? Is it is dead.

                  Sigh,
                  Gwen

                  wrote:

                  > The Wake of the Hurricane
                  > (c) Manfred Vijars - September 2005
                  >
                  > The pillars of my Country are the Mansions of Community
                  > Our pioneers strove hard to gain a better life for all.
                  > From here amongst the rubble witness acts of great impunity;
                  > Where the scramble for survival turns into an all out brawl.
                  >
                  > Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
                  > There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve.
                  > No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
                  > Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!
                  >
                  > Are the Mansions of Community now far beyond repair,
                  > battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
                  > From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
                  > I search and search and search and search for hope rent in the
                  flow.
                  > ---
                  >
                  > Hell hath no fury: Katrina's weight\
                  > New Orleans a year after Katrina remains a city of multiple
                  distresses
                  > and defiant hope, reports Jim Gabour.
                  >
                  > http://www.opendemocracy.net/globalization-
                  climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385
                  > 9.jsp

                • Manfred
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Dear Gwen,

                    At the onset of Katrina last year, my neice was visiting friends in
                    New Orleans and was directed to the SuperBowl. Here she was in fear
                    for her life! With a bit of Aussie inginuity, both she and her friend
                    got out to safety.

                    I am fortunatly far removed from 'destructive wind-blowing' during and
                    now after Katrina. The 'blame-game' appears now to have become an
                    industry where no relief agency (Govt or NGO) is safe. Now to compound
                    the issues there are armed guards patrolling the rubble?

                    America is a generous Nation and Americans as a people are not only
                    generous but hospitable to a fault! I cannot believe that there is/was
                    a Government conspiracy to withhold or selectivly help anyone in the
                    disaster area. What appears to have been the case is that ALL relevant
                    departments tripped over themselves to give timely and appropriate
                    assistance. The unique circumstances and wide ranging effects of this
                    hurricane threw a number of 'curve-balls' that I'm sure hindered and
                    impeded the delivery of relief services to the affected areas. That
                    there was MASSIVE help comming was NEVER in doubt! The only
                    uncertainty was WHEN!!

                    If there is blame then it would seem to rest MAINLY on the affected
                    communities (IMHO)!! There appeared to be a TOTAL breakdown. Out here
                    (in Oz) we heard a lot about the looting, hooliganism, intimidation,
                    murder and RAPE!!! WHY RAPE FFS??? Was this an opportunity for the
                    weak (bullies) to intimidate the infirm and helpless?

                    Yes, I know that the 'few' don't represent the whole, however the
                    'few' trumpet loudly some very unpleasant scenes to the rest of the
                    world. Now I shake my head and ask, "Oh Brother, where art thou?"

                    No, this is NOT a fingerpointing excercise, but reflection on what
                    would "my" response be if similarly 'tried'. In all honesty, I don't
                    know!!

                    With Respect,

                    Manfred.

                    --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "queen_of_cryptic_cyphers"
                    <poetry4u@...> wrote:

                    > Manny,
                    >
                    > Ah but how the green back ispires the ugly side of 'great' men. It
                    > now boils down to who will own what now and how much can they get
                    > from their investment.
                    >
                    > What of civility? Is it is dead.
                    >
                    > Sigh,
                    > Gwen
                    >
                    > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Manfred" <r_u_sirius2@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The Wake of the Hurricane
                    > > (c) Manfred Vijars - September 2005
                    > >
                    > > The pillars of my Country are the Mansions of Community
                    > > Our pioneers strove hard to gain a better life for all.
                    > > From here amongst the rubble witness acts of great impunity;
                    > > Where the scramble for survival turns into an all out brawl.
                    > >
                    > > Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
                    > > There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve.
                    > > No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
                    > > Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!
                    > >
                    > > Are the Mansions of Community now far beyond repair,
                    > > battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
                    > > From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
                    > > I search and search and search and search for hope rent in the
                    > flow.
                    > > ---
                    > >
                    > > Hell hath no fury: Katrina's weight\
                    > > New Orleans a year after Katrina remains a city of multiple
                    > distresses
                    > > and defiant hope, reports Jim Gabour.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.opendemocracy.net/globalization-
                    > climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385
                    > > 9.jsp

                  • queen_of_cryptic_cyphers
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                      Manfred,

                      In all seriousness, nothing is what is appears. If you had asked me
                      last fall, I would have had a number of articles written by very
                      educated people about the misrepresentation of many of the facts
                      about Katrina, and some haunting questions. Why were the levees the
                      weakest in the poorest areas? Why did help take so long? Where has
                      all the donated money gone? It is fascinating that our country can
                      respond to the war in Iraq with some of the most sophisticated tools
                      of espionage in the world, yet not be able to assist in shoring up
                      levees, getting provisions to the people stranded in stadiums or the
                      like, or to reunite family members (even mothers with children) for
                      months. And Manfred, in that mayhem where most were NOT at all free
                      to leave and left with no provisions, man's survival becomes what it
                      must become. I am certainly not condoning any criminal activities
                      here, just the medias representation of all that occurred in the
                      weeks after. I suppose none of us will ever know all the answers to
                      the questions being asked, but they SHOULD make you wonder. In this
                      country Manfred, when it comes to the poor, people of color, or
                      making money--money wins. The government even repealed the Davis-
                      Bacon Act for Katrina's reconstruction; a 1931 federal law directing
                      local wages be paid on federal projects. So you see Manfred, in
                      spite of the millions of dollars donated by the kind hearted people
                      of this country, many doubt most of the displaced will never be able
                      to return to what once was their home. Instead new more expensive
                      homes will be built and the socioeconomic mean will rise. I am not
                      trying to open a debate and will step off my soap box now. BUT this
                      story is certainly not all that it seems. Here is a link if you are
                      interested.

                      http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051017/davis

                      Humbly,
                      Gwen

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                        Dear Manfred...I am pleased that someone outside this country gave
                        some thought to the events and responses to the storm. The entire
                        episode unfolded in the strangest way, and I hope the world does not
                        think as badly of Americans, based on the reportage that was
                        broadcast before, during and long after the huricane. It is still a
                        shock to all of us that so many refused to leave their homes in
                        spite of ample warnings. It is bewildering that people did not
                        gather at the levies to fill and stack sandbags as people along the
                        Mississippi, the Ohio and Missouri Rivers do when water rises. It
                        was beyond belief that so many just waited for help rather than
                        helping themselves and others to places of safety. It is terribly
                        sad to even think it, but in a city so corrupted by crime, there
                        were probably many who refused to leave their homes because they
                        could not trust their neighbors not to loot and destroy their
                        property. In the aftermath, it is hard not to see the contrast
                        between New Orleans and the rest of the gulf coast and wonder why
                        people who knew for decades that they dwelled below sea level just
                        sat and let the deluge engulf them while others coped in other
                        ways. Regrets aside, I am encouraged that so many of the children
                        who were displaced came to Chicago and are doing very well in
                        schools here. Perhaps it took a disaster to uproot them from their
                        homes where generations of their families languished, waiting for
                        things to change with no idea of how to make those changes happen.
                        After the maddness of doing things over and over, expecting
                        different results, there is now some hope.

                        Suzianne

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > Where the scramble for survival turns into an all out brawl.
                        > > >
                        > > > Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
                        > > > There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve.
                        > > > No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
                        > > > Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!
                        > > >
                        > > > Are the Mansions of Community now far beyond repair,
                        > > > battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
                        > > > From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
                        > > > I search and search and search and search for hope rent in the
                        > > flow.
                        > > > ---
                        > > >
                        > > > Hell hath no fury: Katrina's weight\
                        > > > New Orleans a year after Katrina remains a city of multiple
                        > > distresses
                        > > > and defiant hope, reports Jim Gabour.
                        > > >
                        > > > http://www.opendemocracy.net/globalization-
                        > > climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385

                      • Johnny
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006

                          Susan,

                          It is practically the same all over the world when disaster is impending. The inhabitants of volcanic islands refuse to leave their possessions behind and flee when there is danger of an eruption, for example. Of course, there are some that are too stupid to save themselves. Not too long ago, in New Zealand, there was a warning that a tidal wave was expected. People flocked to the shores to watch it come in! Fortunately for them, it didn’t happen.

                          Naturally, it is usually the poorer people that brave the imminent dangers hoping to save whatever they can. The richer ones are without doubt covered by insurances and can afford to rebuild if it be necessary.

                          What really gets in my craw is the billions and billions of dollars that is spent by various governments interfering with another countries affairs and making enemies as a result. This money can be spent on more worthwhile things like hospitals, schools, education, medical research, improved living conditions for the less fortunate, the list is endless.

                          There is a proverb that says, “Do not become inflamed at another man’s quarrel.” I think that should be heeded by governments, too.

                          Johnny

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > Where the scramble for survival turns into an all out brawl.
                          > > >
                          > > > Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
                          > > > There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve.
                          > > > No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
                          > > > Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!
                          > > >
                          > > > Are the Mansions of Community now far beyond repair,
                          > > > battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
                          > > > From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
                          > > > I search and search and search and search for hope rent in the
                          > > flow.
                          > > > ---
                          > > >
                          > > > Hell hath no fury: Katrina's weight\
                          > > > New Orleans a year after Katrina remains a city of multiple
                          > > distresses
                          > > > and defiant hope, reports Jim Gabour.
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.opendemocracy.net/globalization-
                          > > climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385

                        • albiaicehouse
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                            Uncle Man,

                            Nearly all of the "hooliganism, intimidation,murder and RAPE!" turned
                            out to be rumor swallowed and spread by an information starved media.

                            A good bit of looting occurred, but some of that was practically a
                            necessity (if you need infant formula and the windows broken and
                            there's nobody there to take your money, what are you gonna do?) and
                            the rest was probably less than in Iraq after the US invasion.
                            Besides stuff is looted everyday in every city and no one writes news
                            articles about it, right?

                            I think what the government fails to appreciate, once again, is that
                            those who are most poor are the least likely to navigate the
                            bureacracy to get the help that others manage to obtain. They have no
                            safety net to help them bridge the gap of time that it takes to get
                            results. I don't think money should be given away willy nilly, but
                            the government has to make reasonable adaptations to the abilities of
                            those involved to help themselves.

                            albi

                            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Manfred" <r_u_sirius2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > Where the scramble for survival turns into an all out brawl.
                            > > >
                            > > > Charity begins at home, is what the 'Good Book' taught us.
                            > > > There is no entertainment watching Charity dissolve.
                            > > > No circling of the wagons as we braced against the slaughters
                            > > > Where once we'd stand united; we just crumbled, no resolve!
                            > > >
                            > > > Are the Mansions of Community now far beyond repair,
                            > > > battered, torn and shattered at the whim of any foe?
                            > > > From torn dreaming in my attic to my basement of despair
                            > > > I search and search and search and search for hope rent in the
                            > > flow.
                            > > > ---
                            > > >
                            > > > Hell hath no fury: Katrina's weight\
                            > > > New Orleans a year after Katrina remains a city of multiple
                            > > distresses
                            > > > and defiant hope, reports Jim Gabour.
                            > > >
                            > > > http://www.opendemocracy.net/globalization-
                            > > climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385

                          • Manfred
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                              Dear Suzianne ... It's easy to be an expert from afar, although that
                              is not my intent. I was vicariously affected by the tragedy through my
                              niece, so my focus was her experiences. The aftermath seems to have
                              hilighted many deep seated festering issues. The real tragedy, for me,
                              is that the community broke down a long time before Katrina hit. That
                              was the motivation for my piece. And no Suzianne, I don't think badly
                              of the American people as I have been spoiled by your hospitality.

                              Cheers,

                              Manfred.

                              --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue" <suzianne411@...>
                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > would "my" response be if similarly 'tried'. In all honesty, I
                              > don't
                              > > know!!
                              > >
                              > > With Respect,
                              > >
                              > > Manfred.
                              > >

                              > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "queen_of_cryptic_cyphers"
                              > > <poetry4u@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Manny,
                              > > >
                              > > > Ah but how the green back ispires the ugly side of 'great' men.
                              > It
                              > > > now boils down to who will own what now and how much can they
                              > get
                              > > > from their investment.
                              > > >
                              > > > What of civility? Is it is dead.
                              > > >
                              > > > Sigh,
                              > > > Gwen
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Manfred" <r_u_sirius2@>

                              > > > flow.

                              > > > distresses

                              > > > climate_change_debate/katrina_anniversary_385

                            • Manfred
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                                Dear Gwen, That is so true that "nothing is what is appears". It's
                                always prudent to scratch below the surface. News is well filtered
                                before it reaches its audience. Some of those filters are bias,
                                agendas and disinterest. So censorship is alive and well.

                                Predictibly, the blame game has become an industry and ironies would
                                become apparent after such an event (Katrina).

                                I mentioned my vicarious involvement. What shocked me was that instead
                                of the affected community 'circling the waggons' and pulling together
                                to face a common foe, the people turned on eachother. That would
                                indicate to me that the breakdown occured long before Katrina hit. I
                                believe that this community breakdown is not confined to New Orleans
                                but raises its head elsewhere in the wider World.

                                Gwen, I refuse to think badly of my American friends.

                                Hugs,