The Glorious Twelfth

  • bty29586219
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11 3:20 AM
      The following is an extract from "An Irish Country Diary"
      Nimrods account of the Irish Countryside and its wildlife.

      The Glorious Twelfth of August

      The grouse season in the UK and Ireland opens every year on the
      12th of August, the Glorious Twelfth! In Ireland there are
      three requirements for successful grouse shooting. Firstly, one has
      to find grouse and that can be a difficult task on our mainly un-
      keepered moors. Secondly, and given that any grouse shooting that
      still can be had in Ireland is almost exclusively of the walked
      up variety, one needs to be a pretty good shot.
      But the major requirement for a successful day's shooting on an
      Irish grouse moor is that of a longer than average inside leg
      measurement!
      Grouse, of course, universally prefer their heather to be about
      eighteen to twenty inches tall. Any higher and those young, sweet
      heather shoots the grouse depend upon for sustenance are not
      forthcoming. Any shorter and the cover and protection the grouse
      need from winged and four legged predators is not there. Therein
      lays the rub for us short-legged folk. To be successful on Irish
      grouse moors and to move at any speed of step, I consider an
      inside leg measurement of at least thirty-one inches a
      prerequisite. With a twenty-nine inch inside leg, one will just
      about get away with it. But a twenty-eight inside leg
      measurement like mine, it is practically a lost cause. On those
      occasions when the dog does go on point, it is a case of double
      quick time for the gun to cover up to seventy plus yards to the
      point. With a twenty-eight inside leg measurement in two foot
      tall, spongy heather this really is not on. Now that my friend
      has given up cigarettes he can achieve this. He will probably do
      it even quicker this season having kicked the habit and if not,
      then at least his breathing will be more regular at the end of his
      sprint. I have never asked him because, after all, it is not the
      sort of thing one asks another chap, but I reckon his inside leg
      measurement is all of thirty-three inches!
      Occasionally I do catch up with the pointer as it holds a
      bird. It has even been known for one of the other guns to catch
      me below the armpits and physically hauled me towards the point.
      The sight of a decent pointer holding then pushing birds is a
      rewarding one as the sweat of exertion runs down the crease in
      one's back.
      Pleasing too is the call of the flushing grouse as a volley of shots
      echo off distant hills. One grouse, maybe two will fall as the
      rest of the pack contour their way along the valley floor. My
      friends go to some lengths to get me a shot at grouse each
      Twelfth. I would not want to sound ungrateful and I really do
      appreciate their efforts. But guys, once a year is plenty!

      I am obliged to Nimrod for the foregoing amusing insight into Irish
      country life.

      Now let us concentrate on another aspect of the Glorious Twelfth:
      Another twelve months have slipped by for our very own Suzianne, a
      young lady born in the latter part of the twentieth century who has
      seldom been known to grouse, even when the guns of t2w have been
      aimed in her direction.
      .
      A gentleman doesn't ask a lady her inside leg measurement but I hope
      you will always be able to taste those sweet heather shoots,today
      and for many,many years to come.
      Happy birthday Suzi.
      All my love
      As ever

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11 8:38 AM
        Dear Wings, Thank you for this delightful glimpse into life in
        rural Ireland. I am a pretty fair wingshot and would dearly love to
        treck through the heather in pursuit of game. I can't think of a
        lovelier way to spend my birthday than bringing home enough grouse
        to grace the dinner table and enjoying the feast with my friends and
        family and an ample supply of Guiness.

        Thank you for your good wishes,

        Suzianne

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "bty29586219" <afhnewquay@b...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12 1:45 PM
          My Dear Suzi
          I'm usually first off the starting blocks on this your special day but here it is 2130hrs GMT and I have to beg you to please forgive my tardiness.

          Birthdays come and birthdays go
          But may you always find
          The ones to come are better far
          Than the ones you leave behind.
          Have a wonderful day young lady and let this day be full of the colours of the rainbow.
          My very best wishes
          As ever