the owl

  • Jules Delorme
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2005

      there's an owl out there
      somewhere
      i can hear him
      can't see him but i can hear him alright
      maybe it's not a him
      maybe it's a her
      hard to tell with owls
      keeps on calling hoot hoot
      what's he trying to say?
      maybe she
      probably looking to get laid
      like everybody else
      is that what it's all about?
      even owls don't like flying solo
      only owl
      around for miles and miles i bet
      that'd sure suck alright
      hoot hoot
      there's nobody there
      how'd he end up here anyway?
      maybe she
      how'd that owl end up here all on it's own?
      owls don't get lost
      do they?
      maybe got chased away
      maybe running away
      there she is
      there he is
      i can't see him
      her
      but i can hear
      that owl
      calling
      all day
      all night
      that owl
      's got something
      it sure wants to say

      'Romance and poetry, ivy, lichens and wall-flowers, need ruin to make them grow.'

      Nathaniel Hawthorne

      Do You Yahoo!?
    • sideline17
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2005
        wow. well done. I think it's hard to carry off that style so
        smoothly.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2005
          Hi Jules

          One small problem if I may make so bold:

          "hear that owl calling all DAY and all night"

          Birds of prey of the order Strigiformes are usually nocturnal and I
          have yet to hear one hooting during the day but then perhaps they have
          different habits in your neck of the woods.

          Otherwise, good to hear from you. The owl really is a handsome bird.

        • Carol Carpenter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2005
            Jules,

            Silent flyers of the night
            moonlight murder
            raptor might

            Narrow focus amber glow
            reflecting eyes
            dark and slow

            Lonely cry through shrouded mist
            whispered answer
            aloft they kissed

            By the way, male birds (usually) do most of the singing, the looking to get laid, as you so eloquently composed. They get the bright colors, the beautiful voice. The female's usually drab and stuck at home with the kids. But that's nature for ya!! The bald eagle is one exception to norm. The female is actually the larger in size and more colorful of the pair. I believe also it's the male ostrich that raises the brood, not the females who all contribute eggs to a collective nest. I get young fledgling hawks in my yard towards the end of summer. The calls are quite amazing as the parents stop answering and fly off, deserting their youngsters, who become utterly perplexed. Sounds like you have a deserted youngster or an owl that lost its mate.

            Carol

            Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com