Re: [ticket2write] SUB: Hills of Southeast Nebraska (Diva)

  • Carol Carpenter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2005
      Marge,

      Thanks and yes, great idea. In a few more days, all this crazy school stuff ends for the semester, and I can concentrate on things like cleaning my house, drywalling the basement, fixing leaky faucets (husband's got a bad back, so I get to contort under the sink), and of course, spend more time writing.
      Carol

      Diva <the_only_data_diva@...> wrote:
      Carol,

      I adore your description of the Missouri river.  Put this one aside to be read on your CD.

      Marge

      Carol Carpenter <carol_emt87@...> wrote:

      Hills of Southeast Nebraska

      West of York Nebraska, where the earth loses its gentle rise and fall,

      becoming the belly of a young toughened soldier,

      muscular and lean, all sinewy and strong

      hard and flat, with a few severe edges.

      But turn to the east, along the tumbling

      green hills of southeastern Nebraska, the topography transforms

      into a full bodied woman who turns slowly from side to side,

      flopping in her sleep, her splendid curves

      and deep creases undulating

      across the pastures peppered with cattle,

      grasslands crocheted with creeks,

      sprinkled with the old bones of ancient barns,

      and crazy quilted with alfalfa, corn, milo, and soybeans.

      In the silver moonlight, her rounded ridges resemble

      silky, upturned breasts bathing in warm milk,

      while her long tawny hair

      bristles like bluestem buzzing in the summer breeze.

      Her languid, limestone shoulders hold the Missouri River at bay,

      it�s tongue slurping spiteful at the land in times of too much rain,

      and in drought, lying parched on the bank, panting like an August dog.

      The river spills along her sandy

      sloping back from Gavin�s Point to Rulo,

      down to that gentle slope of leg to tightly curled ankle, foot and toe.

      As the sun rises, the seamed ridges, blackened ditches,

      and sculpted terraces emerge gracefully

      pilfering dawn�s grey, pink, and amber.

      Holding breath, as the hills

      with their dark, fertile soil

      or soft muddy clay, make hearts sing

      with the spirit of their

      cascading splendor.

      Carol J. Carpenter 4/29/05

      Feel free to comment or critique. Please be specific. This is one I intend to publish somewhere Also, if your turn this one on its side, you'll see the hills. More fun!