I Am very cross.

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
      I am very Cross.

      I read: The international Red Cross Committee have been holding
      talks to devise an alternative to the traditional emblem which has
      been displayed on our ambulances and hospital buildings across the
      world for more than one hundred and forty years.
      The suggested replacement is a solid red triangle on a white square.
      Apparently the red cross symbol has inflamed Muslim sensibilities by
      invoking memories of the Christian Crusades.
      -----------
      The Red Cross is an international humanitarian organisation and was
      established by the Geneva Convention of 1864.
      During wartime it has been the symbol of sanctuary for the wounded,
      friend and foe alike. Manned by dedicated teams of medics, bound
      together by the Hippocratic oath to give aid to the sick and
      wounded, regardless of faith or political persuasion..

      The Crusades to recapture the `Holy Land' took place during the
      11th,12th,and 13th century. We are now enjoying the freedom(and I
      use the word freedom advisedly)of the 21st century, so why drag up
      memories of past religious wrangles.

      What next I wonder. Are Texans going to declare independence, haul
      down the banner of freedom and raise the Lone Star.?

      Are Muslims going to abandon the Red Crescent symbol?

      It would be interesting to hear a Muslim POV on this issue, so any
      of you out there with allegiance to the prophet, please let us have
      your views on this. Anything you have to say will be accorded the
      greatest respect and any adverse replies deemed anti-religious will
      be deleted by the moderators.

    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
        My friend Wings,
        I can understand your distaste of the changing of the international
        symbol of the Red Cross. Historically, it was chosen (with reversed
        colors) to pay homage to Switzerland, the place the Red Cross
        organization was first formed in 1864 and also the home country of
        the Nobel Peace Prize winning Jean Henri Dunant, the founder of the
        organization.
        In 1876 during the Ruso-Turkish War, the Ottoman Society for
        the Relief to the Wounded replaced the Red Cross with the Red
        Crescent. These are currently the only two symbols now in use,
        although some Islamic countries invert the crescent. The reason for
        their adoption of the Red Crescent is that Islamic countries
        regarded the Red Cross as a sign of Christianity and decided to
        change it to their own holy sign.
        As you can see, the Islamic world has always been wary of
        any group or organization which uses a cross as its symbol,
        regardless of the nature of that organization. Even the built in
        cross on the British flag holds sour memories of foreign rule for
        many Middle East nations.
        In these days of political correctness, many groups wish to
        change things which some people find offensive. Were it up to me, I
        would say that part of the world continue using the cross as their
        symbol for the organization and part of the world continue to use
        the crescent, but in the final analysis, it is what is best for the
        organization as a whole.
        If the cross is changed to a triangle, then the crescent
        should also be changed to a triangle as well, one symbol which
        allows all people to support the lofty goals of the organization.
        These are as follows: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality,
        Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality.
        If the committee chooses to change both of the traditional
        symbols to the triangle to foster good will from all the nations of
        the world, so be it. Let us not forget the words to the song of the
        Red Cross though.

        Come let us pledge again. Each heart and hand.
        To thee the flag we serve,
        Friends in every land.
        Come let us give a-new.
        Each thought and mind.
        To be a light to shine over all mankind.
        So may our emblem be proudly unfurled.
        To link the chains of youth for service thru the world.
        Oh give us strength to prove, Sure and sublime.
        To make the cause we serve,
        Shine over the hills of time.

        I hope and pray all nations of the world will support this
        fine organization regardless of what symbol is raised above the
        sites where they perform their service to all of mankind.

        As always,
        Jerry

        -
        > The Red Cross is an international humanitarian organisation and
        was
        > established by the Geneva Convention of 1864.
        > During wartime it has been the symbol of sanctuary for the
        wounded,
        > friend and foe alike. Manned by dedicated teams of medics, bound
        > together by the Hippocratic oath to give aid to the sick and
        > wounded, regardless of faith or political persuasion..
        >
        > The Crusades to recapture the `Holy Land' took place during the
        > 11th,12th,and 13th century. We are now enjoying the freedom(and I
        > use the word freedom advisedly)of the 21st century, so why drag up
        > memories of past religious wrangles.
        >
        > What next I wonder. Are Texans going to declare independence,
        haul
        > down the banner of freedom and raise the Lone Star.?
        >
        > Are Muslims going to abandon the Red Crescent symbol?
        >
        > It would be interesting to hear a Muslim POV on this issue, so any
        > of you out there with allegiance to the prophet, please let us
        have
        > your views on this. Anything you have to say will be accorded the
        > greatest respect and any adverse replies deemed anti-religious
        will
        > be deleted by the moderators.

      • chrstnbohn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
          You are very cross?? My goodnes but you are a master of
          understatement. I am appalled! Considering the enormous expense of
          such a change, you would think that such a highly respected
          organization could think of something better to do with the money.
          Dulce

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
            Dear Jerry.
            I must confess to my ignorance of the 'song of the Red Cross.'
            As with many humanitarian organistions of this world,we tend to
            accept them as our right,without delving into their history.

            Without the Red Cross and the Red Crescent, we would be lacking
            a service to mankind which is able to surmount the barriers of
            religion,politics or prejudice.Which has a neutrality during
            wars,crossing all man made borders.
            A service which, to quote Kipling 'Can meet with Triumph and
            Disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.

            As usual, you write with the common sense and moral judgement we
            have come to expect from your pen.

            Thank you for your input

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
              Dear Dulce

              You are right. It would be very expensive but at the moment they are
              only discussing the possibility and hopefully common sense will
              prevail.
              I'm sorry to say, the UK is knuckling under to many similar demands
              from the P.C. lobbyists.
              A well known superstore chain has forbidden the Nativity scene to be
              displayed in their windows during Christmas, for fear of upsetting
              non-Christians.

              It will be interesting to see what dampers are put on October's
              bi-centennial celebration of the battle of Trafalgar.
              Do not be surprised if the 'powers that be' demolish Nelson's column
              to pacify our French and Spanish Neighbours.

              Good to have your input

              --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "chrstnbohn" <chrstnbohn@y...>
              wrote:

              > You are very cross?? My goodnes but you are a master of
              > understatement. I am appalled! Considering the enormous expense
              of
              > such a change, you would think that such a highly respected
              > organization could think of something better to do with the money.
              > Dulce
              >

              > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:

              > > I am very Cross.
              > >
              > > I read: The international Red Cross Committee have been holding
              > > talks to devise an alternative to the traditional emblem which
              has
              > > been displayed on our ambulances and hospital buildings across
              the
              > > world for more than one hundred and forty years.
              > > The suggested replacement is a solid red triangle on a white
              square.
              > > Apparently the red cross symbol has inflamed Muslim
              sensibilities
              > by
              > > invoking memories of the Christian Crusades.
              > > --------
              ---
              > > The Red Cross is an international humanitarian organisation and
              was
              > > established by the Geneva Convention of 1864.
              > > During wartime it has been the symbol of sanctuary for the
              wounded,
              > > friend and foe alike. Manned by dedicated teams of medics,
              bound
              > > together by the Hippocratic oath to give aid to the sick and
              > > wounded, regardless of faith or political persuasion..
              > >
              > > The Crusades to recapture the `Holy Land' took place during the
              > > 11th,12th,and 13th century. We are now enjoying the freedom(and
              > > use the word freedom advisedly)of the 21st century, so why drag
              up
              > > memories of past religious wrangles.
              > >
              > > What next I wonder. Are Texans going to declare independence,
              haul
              > > down the banner of freedom and raise the Lone Star.?
              > >
              > > Are Muslims going to abandon the Red Crescent symbol?
              > >
              > > It would be interesting to hear a Muslim POV on this issue, so
              any
              > > of you out there with allegiance to the prophet, please let us
              have
              > > your views on this. Anything you have to say will be accorded
              the
              > > greatest respect and any adverse replies deemed anti-religious
              will
              > > be deleted by the moderators.

            • Carol Carpenter
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
                Dear Wings and Jerry,

                Wow! What a history lesson you give us here, thank you. Maybe I'll just stay home from school tomorrow---just kidding.

                No Red Cross? Is that possible? Personally, after fourteen years teaching CPR and first aid for this fine organization, I hope not. No other organization touches so many lives. We all know the work that is done by the Red Cross. What will happen if the symbol is changed to a triangle? In science, the triangle is delta, a Greek symbol which could lead to more politically correct conflict over the gods and ancient Greece.

                 What if we looked at this in another way? Take the cross used and really look at it. It's equidistant and the same from all directions, therefore, is it a cross at all? Thinking logically (which I'm not usually prone to do), this symbol that has been used for over a century by not only the Red Cross, but also by field medics,  and realistically more closely resembles the sign used for positive electrical charge or addition in mathematics--a plus sign. A positive symbol for summing up different parts. Sound good to me! I certainly can wrap my mind around teaching American Red Cross Plus CPR, a positive symbol with no equivalent. I shall forward my thoughts on to the National Office.

                Thanks again for the great history lesson.
                Always,
                Carol

                Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

                Do you Yahoo!?
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Dear Wings...You bring up an excellent point! It seems that few
                  religions are truly under attack in this era as much as Christianity
                  and Judism are. We are admonished to be tollerant of everyone but
                  ourselves and are put in the difficult position of defending the
                  excessive acts of people long dead. We are also fair game in
                  publications that would never spread hatred and venom about people
                  in even the most extreme religions.

                  As far as I have observed, the objections agains established
                  religions have not even been made by people of other faiths, but by
                  those of no faith who claim they do not want to have religion shoved
                  down their throats. I have never witnessed any such thing, but they
                  tend to get upset by things like prayer in schools. (As long as
                  there are final exams, there will be prayers in school, even if they
                  are silent.)

                  I think it would be a terrible mistake to expunge symbols such as
                  the red cross. No case can be made for members of the Red Cross
                  discriminating against anyone. They do much good in the world. If
                  the symbol of their organization can be struck, do you think a
                  national flag which combines the cross of St. Andrew and the cross
                  of St. George will be allowed to fly freely?

                  Perhaps, people should get beyond symbols and start considering the
                  acts of people as individuals and not as groups. Some people do
                  good, others make lives miserable. Finding ways to be offended does
                  little to promote understanding or compassion.

                  Keep up the good fight, Wings!

                  Suzianne

                  -
                  > The Red Cross is an international humanitarian organisation and
                  was
                  > established by the Geneva Convention of 1864.
                  > During wartime it has been the symbol of sanctuary for the
                  wounded,
                  > friend and foe alike. Manned by dedicated teams of medics, bound
                  > together by the Hippocratic oath to give aid to the sick and
                  > wounded, regardless of faith or political persuasion..
                  >
                  > The Crusades to recapture the `Holy Land' took place during the
                  > 11th,12th,and 13th century. We are now enjoying the freedom(and I
                  > use the word freedom advisedly)of the 21st century, so why drag up
                  > memories of past religious wrangles.
                  >
                  > What next I wonder. Are Texans going to declare independence,
                  haul
                  > down the banner of freedom and raise the Lone Star.?
                  >
                  > Are Muslims going to abandon the Red Crescent symbol?
                  >
                  > It would be interesting to hear a Muslim POV on this issue, so any
                  > of you out there with allegiance to the prophet, please let us
                  have
                  > your views on this. Anything you have to say will be accorded the
                  > greatest respect and any adverse replies deemed anti-religious
                  will
                  > be deleted by the moderators.

                • halukdireskeneli
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                    No objection as long as you use "red cross" with "red cracent",
                    both for the same purpose, help poor and misfortunate,
                    There is no need for the last sentence. Those who are not comfortable
                    with the incoming messages, they have the liberty of leaving t2w

                    HD