Re: New Year Poem 2005: what I once knew

  • Johanna Donnelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      Jules,
      I think this is one of your most wonderful poems! The seeming
      simplicity perfectly mirrors the essence of the childlike wonder you
      wish to convey. I love the metaphors. That water is alive and rocks
      have thoughts. Reminds me of Rumi. And I love Rumi! As always, it's a
      joy to read your work and glimpse your mind!
    • halukdireskeneli
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        I love Rumi (Mevlana Celalattin Rumi) too. I love his works.
        I have been in Konya.

        Haluk

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Johanna Donnelly"
        <johannadonnelly@y...> wrote:

        > Jules,
        > I think this is one of your most wonderful poems! The seeming
        > simplicity perfectly mirrors the essence of the childlike wonder
        you
        > wish to convey. I love the metaphors. That water is alive and rocks
        > have thoughts. Reminds me of Rumi. And I love Rumi! As always, it's
        > joy to read your work and glimpse your mind!
      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
          Yeah. Very good. I like the very simple open way you wrote it. It
          reminded me of Roger McGoff's Blade of Grass. I'm sure you could get
          this onto the pages of a magazine exactly as it is, and every reader
          will knew exactly what you're on about. Well done!
          JOhn

          -- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Jules Delorme
          <julesdelorme1@y...> wrote:

          > as a child
          > i knew
          > that water was alive
          > that rocks have thoughts
          > and trees a language all their own
          > i knew
          > that the crow was wiser than i was
          > and that flowers dream about flower things
          > but now
          > now
          > i've learned so very many things
          > and i can't remember
          > what it was
          > that i once knew

          > "Ah, it seemed impossible to leave the world until I had brought
          forth all that I felt was within me."

          > Ludwig Van Beethoven

        • Jules Delorme
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            Thank you everyone here for your feedback through this group.
            Thank you to the others for the personal feedback. It really does
            make the day so much lighter to hear that you liked it!

            One thing: I know I'm often accused of metaphors, often justly. But
            in this case there were none intended. I meant quite literally that
            for me water is alive and rocks can talk. Maybe it's a Native thing,
            or maybe it's just the way my broken head works. But I meant that, as
            a child those things were, and in my best moments those things are
            literally true. I've learned too much to believe in them all the
            time. That, to me, is deeply unfortunate.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
              Dear Jules
              "I can't remember what it was I once knew" Join the club.

              Many computers ago, before the advent of Bill Gates' MS; when I had
              attempted to load too much material onto a disc, I would get the
              message 'Catalogue full'.I now know exactly how that poor machine
              felt.
              I have now descended to mnemonics to jog my shattered memory.
              It works too.For instance I was tailgating Dennis, my young
              brother's new car for a couple of hundred miles and to pass the time
              I memorised his number plate P799DVE by: Papa is one pound short of
              eight hundred and Dennis is very excited.
              And how silly is this for his mobile telephone number: Oh!three
              lucky doctors ordered old records of seventy six trombones on
              Dennis's birthyear.

              Stupid.Maybe, but it works.

              As always

              Wings (catalogue full)