Re: Antagonist....

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2004
      Dear Christopher: The villian of melodrama is not a good character
      for a modern novel. Bad people are complex. If a person looks
      evil, people will not be attracted to him and he will not be able to
      gain their confidence and position himself to take advantage of the
      victim. In a good novel, the conflict should be between near
      equals to create a balance of force. If the antagonist is too
      strong, the protagonist does not have a chance and the reader is not
      interested in a good result through no effort on the part of the
      good guy. The victory must be of his/her doing, not just a matter
      of fate or chance. A good antagonist should be a complex person,
      with some excellent qualities, but should have a fatal flaw or bad
      motivation. If you read romance stories, those bad guys are
      sometimes reformed and made into heroes. In mysteries or spy
      novels, they often escape justice to return in a sequel.

      Good luck with this. It sounds like a good first step in crafting
      an interesting story.

      Suzianne

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher"
      <sthernantiquity@y...> wrote:

      > Hello, it's me popping up again like a prairie dog with hat in
      hand.

      > I have a question about antagonists. I'm trying to create a good
      > antagonist for this story I'm working on, but I find it
      exceedingly
      > difficult because I have never been able to view people as good or
      > evil -- black or white.
      >
      > Some of the best stories I've ever read don't even have a
      character
      > as an antagonist, but maybe a set of conditions or possibly a
      > terminal disease to overcome.
      >
      > But I have a hankerin' to create a bad guy of the most devious,
      > almost likeable sort. I was thinking about the people in the world
      > hated most and I can still find something good or redeemable
      quality
      > about them. Even Hitler was kind to animals.
      >
      > Any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated. My mind is blank
      > right now and I can't think of any popular literary villians right
      > off hand.
      >
      > How do you create a bad person when the world is so full of them?
      >
      > Xtopher
    • J.C. Brinson-Untiet
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
        A good antagonist should be someone who plays on the side line. Is friendly to your face but talks about you behind you back. Tall blond good looking the boy next door Pat Boone type. Christian the one no one would ever think of. You know the type I'm sure you had one in your school. Every one does. Tootles JC

        Now Out: Blood Red A Vampires Love Story.
        ISBN CODE: 1413708218
        Available at: Walden Books.com..Powells.com..AllDirect.com..

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • J.C. Brinson-Untiet

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
            Hi J.C.
            You will never know. However it is said: "Confession is good for
            the soul"

            Ps. if you need a contact at the Yard try Robert Peel.
          • J.C. Brinson-Untiet

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                Hi Jocelyn
                No relation to Emma.
                I owe you an apology for expecting anyone in Houston to know the
                name Robert Peel.
                Sir Robert Peel 1788 to 1850 served two terms as Prime Minister of
                England.
                As Home Secretary he founded the Metropolitan Police Force and the
                officers of that force became known as Peelers or Bobbies (Bobby
                being a sobriquet for Robert)
                In today's crime ridden society they are referred to as The Old
                Bill, the Fuzz, the Filth or Pigs.

                Scotland Yard, or to give it its proper title, New Scotland Yard, is
                I'm sure you are aware, the headquarters of the Met.

                I think if Sir Robert had read my 'confession'he would have arranged
                for my cervical vertebrates to be dislocated as an example to others.

                So there's another piece of useless information for you.

                --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Brinson-Untiet"