Re: Port of Call-Wings

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2004
      Dear Jerry...Everyone has nice things to say, and I am feeling
      miserable because I was contemplating getting rich by fining you $1
      for each excessive adverb and adjective. You know how I hate it
      when modifiers run amuck.

      I really like your poem, and love the surprise ending, but I am
      itching to delete and word which ends in "ly."

      Suzianne

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <jerry5849@y...> wrote:
      > My friend Wings,
      > Thank you for your high praise of my little offering. Your
      opinion
      > means a lot to me.
      > Thank you,
      > Jerry
      >
      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Hi Jerry
      > > I like your use of alternative words from the common:
      > >
      > > 'debark' rather than disembark.
      > > And 'dickering' which, although similar, has a different
      > > connotation in this instance to bickering.
      > >
      > > Entertaining Excellence, as is to be expected from your pen.

    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
        Suzianne,
        Leave it to you to be the fly in my ointment, the monkey in my
        wrench. (laughing) I would be tempted to turn you over my knee and
        teach you a lesson except for the fact that you are right on target
        as usual. Instead of charging me a dollar per excessive modifiers
        how does a penny sound? After all, I'm only a poor boy. (lol)
        Thanks for being upfront and honest in your evaluation of my poem.
        It is refreshing to have someone point out a mistake. Too often I
        post something and get no feedback at all, other than "good job"
        or "I liked it." Although being told such things warms an author's
        heart (everyone likes to hear their baby is cute), it doesn't give
        him/her anything to work with to make their piece better.
        As always,
        Jerry

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Donahue"