Re: Black Widow (17177)

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2004
      Hi Kathlene

      I have a couple of true stories about the Black Widow.
      Nice ladies may frown on the first one but I'm going to tell it
      anyway.

      Awaiting training at a large holding camp near Manchester,UK, some of
      us were billeted out with private families.
      One such billet was owned by a very beautiful, raven haired widow
      woman.
      Nobody complained about the billet or the owner until one day a young
      man,who was obviously raised by strict parents, was allocated this
      lady's accommodation.
      On the very first day of his stay, the lady advised him she would be
      away for the night visiting relatives and told him she would see him
      the following day.
      To cut a long story short, she returned that night, disrobed, entered
      the lad's room au naturel and climbed into his bed.
      The young man jumped out of bed in a panic, quickly dressed and
      reported the incident to the camp commandant, resulting in the
      lady's address being deleted from the list of suitable accommodation.
      Need I say, this man was not voted the most popular cadet. and the
      lady was thereafter referred to as the Black Widow.

      I was lucky to be sent for training to an airfield in Oklahoma.
      Except for farmers and the country set, firearms were not often to be
      seen in UK and this is still the case today with the exception of the
      criminal fraternity.
      To improve our aim we were given shotguns and sent out on to a firing
      range to blast clay pigeons out of the sky.
      The person in charge of the trap was protected by a tin shed and on
      the call "Pull"would release a clay for the `marksman' to blast to
      pieces.
      All went well for a while until on my turn, my shout of "Pull"
      eliciting no response other than the trap operator running from the
      hut like a scalded cat.
      It appeared he had spotted a tiny little insect with an hour glass
      mark on its back which apparently (so they told me) is the sign of
      the deadly black widow spider.

      The only venomous creatures in the UK are in captivity in zoos. The
      common adder or viper snake is venomous but only life threatening to
      young children and sickly adults. In Ireland there are no snakes, for
      apparently St Patrick banned them.

      It has always amazed me that such tiny creatures, most of whom must
      be mortally afraid of we giants, can strike terror into the hearts of
      humans.

      Thanks for the memory Kathlene. I'll make a note to by-pass your
      web.

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
        Very nice. It makes the reader want to taste the delicious silky,
        sticky, sweet, risk, waits, sacrifice, lips, sucked, carcass. (and
        that wonderful line: "his means to hell". The rhythm is perfect too -
        the poem slinks. I would only suggest you consider dropping the
        words "of life" in line 11. Well done! (But who's Maui?)

        John

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Kathlene" <Katven@x> wrote:

        > BLACK WIDOW
        >
        > She waits,
        > knowing that he will come,
        > he can't resist her web,
        > his means to hell.
        > Silky, sticky, sweet,
        > carefully and deliberately crafted.
        > It's no grand sacrifice,
        > he knows the risk,
        > that no flies have passed her lips.
        > Crushed, like Maui,
        > his carcass sucked dry of life,
        > discarded.
        > And she waits,
        > knowing that he will come,
        > he can't resist her web,
        > his means to hell.
      • Kathlene
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
          Thanks John, glad you liked it. Good idea, I will remove the of life bit.
          Maui in Maori mythology was a great warrior who seperated his parents the earth and the sky, caught and reined in New Zealand's South Island among other things. He tried to conquer the Queen of death (who was a giant) by climbing up her legs and was crushed between her thighs.  I have always found this story fascinating how this woman could powerfuly conquer this hero and squash him like an insect.

          Very nice. It makes the reader want to taste the delicious silky,
          sticky, sweet, risk, waits, sacrifice, lips, sucked, carcass. (and
          that wonderful line: "his means to hell". The rhythm is perfect too -
          the poem slinks. I would only suggest you consider dropping the
          words "of life" in line 11. Well done! (But who's Maui?)

          John

          --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Kathlene" <Katven@x> wrote:

          >                           BLACK WIDOW
          >
          >                    She waits,
          >                    knowing that he will come,
          >                    he can't resist her web,
          >                    his means to hell.
          >                    Silky, sticky, sweet,
          >                    carefully and deliberately crafted.
          >                    It's no grand sacrifice,
          >                    he knows the risk,
          >                    that no flies have passed her lips.
          >                    Crushed, like Maui,
          >                    his carcass sucked dry of life,
          >                    discarded.
          >                    And she waits,
          >                    knowing that he will come,
          >                    he can't resist her web,
          >                    his means to hell.

          TIP:  If you are receiving individual messages, you can modify your membership to receive no e-mail or a daily digest of messages.

        • Kathlene
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2004

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2004
              I enjoyed your stories Wings (including the first one).  In N.Z. we do not have any venomous creatures that I know of, they all live in Australia.  And by the way I'm not venomous, and my web has an escape hatch. lol.