Re: Youth Poetry Slam (15692)

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hi Suzi
      Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a Slam other than a call in
      Bridge or a noisy closing of a door?

      Are you winding me up or is there really a band named after President
      Lincoln's assassin? If so,there is no way I would attend that slam
      out of my profound respect for one of your country's greatest men.

      As ever
      Wings
      Ps sorry to be so touchy but you hit a soft spot.
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
        Dear Wings: A "poetry slam" is a sort of performance art which
        involves the recitation of poetry, often paired with music,
        theatrics, costume and in some cases, even dance. It is a full
        expression of the spoken word in a very entertaining format.

        Relative to the name of the band...As a native of Illinois, I hold
        the memory of Abraham Lincoln in high esteem. However, this event
        is to take place in Arkansas, which was in a state of rebellion
        against the United States when Lincoln was president. Jefferson
        Davis was their man. I doubt that they were delighted with Mr.
        Booth or condoned his behavior, but they do have a sense of humor
        and are not above using his name in vain.

        Kindest regards,

        Suzianne

        --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Suzi
        > Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a Slam other than a call
        in
        > Bridge or a noisy closing of a door?
        >
        > Are you winding me up or is there really a band named after
        President
        > Lincoln's assassin? If so,there is no way I would attend that slam
        > out of my profound respect for one of your country's greatest men.
        >
        > As ever
        > Wings
        > Ps sorry to be so touchy but you hit a soft spot.
      • Melissa
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
          Unfortunately, Lincoln was far from the "saint" everyone chooses to remember him as......
          Dear Wings:  A "poetry slam" is a sort of performance art which
          involves the recitation of poetry, often paired with music,
          theatrics, costume and in some cases, even dance.  It is a full
          expression of the spoken word in a very entertaining format.

          Relative to the name of the band...As a native of Illinois, I hold
          the memory of Abraham Lincoln in high esteem.  However, this event
          is to take place in Arkansas, which was in a state of rebellion
          against the United States when Lincoln was president.  Jefferson
          Davis was their man.  I doubt that they were delighted with Mr.
          Booth or condoned his behavior, but they do have a sense of humor
          and are not above using his name in vain.

          Kindest regards,

          Suzianne

          --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Suzi
          > Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a Slam other than a call
          in
          > Bridge or a noisy closing of a door?
          >
          > Are you winding me up or is there really a band named after
          President
          > Lincoln's assassin? If so,there is no way I would attend that slam
          > out of my profound respect for one of your country's greatest men.
          >
          > As ever
          > Wings
          > Ps sorry to be so touchy but you hit a soft spot.

          TIP:  If you are receiving individual messages, you can modify your membership to receive no e-mail or a daily digest of messages.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
            Dear Suzi
            Thanks for the explanation of slam.
            As for the band in question. I too have acquired a reputation for
            possessing a wicked sense of humour at times but I have my
            limitations.
            It riles me when comedians make fun of persons I respect such as the
            late Queen Mother, The Pope ( even though I am not Catholic), Nelson
            Mandela, Mother Teresa, Princess Diana. The list is endless.
            Standards have declined miserably. In my younger days it was the norm
            to stand whilst the national anthem was played. Even at home my
            father would stand erect if it was played on the radio and we kids
            would be encouraged to follow suit.
            Nowadays it is only played at special functions such as football
            matches or promenade concerts and people appear embarrassed to be
            seen honouring their country's heritage by standing quiet for
            just a
            few moments.
            There is even no honour accorded the dead today. To most people a
            funeral procession is a nuisance, making them late for some trivial
            pursuit or other.
            How different and polite were the days when a cortege passed and
            people removed their hats, bowed their heads and stood until the
            hearse had moved on carrying a corpse to its final resting place. As
            servicemen it was the rule to face the road and salute smartly,
            holding that stance until the hearse had passed.
            As a point of interest, the only time an officer salutes a junior is
            when he is dead or is wearing the highest medal for valour: The
            Victoria cross.

            I sincerely trust the USA will not follow this country's lapse of
            courtesy to the land of their birth.

            As ever

            Wings
            Call me sentimental but this leopard's spots are irremoveable.
            -
          • Brenda Coxe
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
              Same is true of many former leaders.  I once heard there was a reason for the sign in many places of lodging here in Delaware that say "Washington slept here".

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 8, 2003
                My dear Melissa,

                The short answer to your post would be a quote from Shakespeare's
                Julius Caesar:

                "The evil that men do lives after them;
                The good is oft interred with their bones."

                If you are referring to Lincoln's infidelity when you say he was
                not the saint people like to remember. It is a fact your fair sex are
                attracted to men of power. I am reminded of other good presidents
                with the same problems: The great FDR and Kennedy for instance.
                UK parliament, past and present is riddled with liaisons between high
                ranking ministers and their lady friends.
                For six years I stood as an independent member for local government
                in Cornwall and I was many times propositioned by constituents of the
                feminine gender and before you ask, no I did not succumb to
                temptation for I had a beautiful wife at home. I do not consider that
                makes me a saint for I'm sure there must be a skeleton or two in my
                cupboard waiting for some vindictive individual to open the door and
                let the bones rattle to the floor.

                Breaking aside for a moment of levity:
                When discussing infidelity and mistresses I like the quote attributed
                to John Wilkes:

                Lord Sandwich " You will die either on the gallows or of the
                pox"
                Wilkes " that must depend on whether I embrace your ordship's
                principles or his mistress"

                Service.
              • Melissa
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 10, 2003
                  Wings,
                  No, I do not refer to Lincoln's infidelity.  I think most of our esteemed leaders have succumbed to that temptation at some point.  Look at Kennedy (as you stated) and even more recently, Bill Clinton.
                  What I am more referring to is Lincoln as a hypocrite.  He fought to abolish slavery, but in fact had his own slaves and actually believed in slavery.  Granted, he still did a wonderful thing by creating his emancipation proclamation but that makes him no less a hypocrite.  There are several other "skeletons" that cause me to carry this opinion but it would really take quite a while to explain them all.  Nonetheless, it is a very interesting subject to study.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 10, 2003
                    I did actually hear that about Lincoln, but I also heard he got rid of them sometime later.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 10, 2003
                      Hi Sassy,
                      I am obliged to agree with you, even those in the highest places
                      can be accused of reaching those heights climbing on the backs of
                      lesser mortals.

                      I would like to tell you something of Abe Lincoln which had a
                      profound effect on me.
                      However,were I to post it on this site I might be accused of smoking
                      funny tobacco, so sometime later I will e-mail you via your Yahoo
                      ID and trust you will use your discretion whether it is fit to
                      go 'public'.

                    • Melissa
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 11, 2003
                        Wings,
                        I'll look forward to reading your story.  I'll keep my eyes out!!

                        Melissa