Youth Poetry Slam

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
      Greetings, Writers, Poets & Fiends:

      I just received a message from Doug in Fayetteville, Arkansas (home
      of the University of Arkansas).

      He was kind enough to let me know that the first-ever Fayetteville
      Youth Poetry Slam will happen this Saturday, November 8, at the
      ORPHEUM, 1397 Huntsville Road, Fayetteville, Arkansas. The show
      starts at 8pm and there is a $3 cover charge.

      The musical guest will be 1998 National Poetry Slam finalist DERRICK
      BROWN and his band, the John Wilkes Kissing Booth, from Fullterton
      California.

      This sounds like great fun and it brings to mind the growing
      popularity of poetry slams all over the country. There is now a
      slam program in Lincoln, Nebraska and in many communities. Those of
      you who have influence among the poetry people of your communities
      might want to consider promoting poetry slams. They are a terrific
      way to encourage poetic creativity and to bring poets together in an
      informal and entertaining way.

      If you wish to announce poetry slams or even old fashioned poetry
      readings, you are welcome to share the information here at
      ticket2write. We have nearly 1200 members, in all sorts of
      interesting locations. They will be pleased to hear from you and
      may be very effective in passing the information on to others.

      Suzianne
      suzianne411@...
      http://suzianne.tripod.com

      Hug.

      Doug.
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hi Suzi
        Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a Slam other than a call in
        Bridge or a noisy closing of a door?

        Are you winding me up or is there really a band named after President
        Lincoln's assassin? If so,there is no way I would attend that slam
        out of my profound respect for one of your country's greatest men.

        As ever
        Wings
        Ps sorry to be so touchy but you hit a soft spot.
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
          Dear Wings: A "poetry slam" is a sort of performance art which
          involves the recitation of poetry, often paired with music,
          theatrics, costume and in some cases, even dance. It is a full
          expression of the spoken word in a very entertaining format.

          Relative to the name of the band...As a native of Illinois, I hold
          the memory of Abraham Lincoln in high esteem. However, this event
          is to take place in Arkansas, which was in a state of rebellion
          against the United States when Lincoln was president. Jefferson
          Davis was their man. I doubt that they were delighted with Mr.
          Booth or condoned his behavior, but they do have a sense of humor
          and are not above using his name in vain.

          Kindest regards,

          Suzianne

          --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Suzi
          > Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a Slam other than a call
          in
          > Bridge or a noisy closing of a door?
          >
          > Are you winding me up or is there really a band named after
          President
          > Lincoln's assassin? If so,there is no way I would attend that slam
          > out of my profound respect for one of your country's greatest men.
          >
          > As ever
          > Wings
          > Ps sorry to be so touchy but you hit a soft spot.
        • Melissa
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
            Unfortunately, Lincoln was far from the "saint" everyone chooses to remember him as......
            Dear Wings:  A "poetry slam" is a sort of performance art which
            involves the recitation of poetry, often paired with music,
            theatrics, costume and in some cases, even dance.  It is a full
            expression of the spoken word in a very entertaining format.

            Relative to the name of the band...As a native of Illinois, I hold
            the memory of Abraham Lincoln in high esteem.  However, this event
            is to take place in Arkansas, which was in a state of rebellion
            against the United States when Lincoln was president.  Jefferson
            Davis was their man.  I doubt that they were delighted with Mr.
            Booth or condoned his behavior, but they do have a sense of humor
            and are not above using his name in vain.

            Kindest regards,

            Suzianne

            --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Suzi
            > Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a Slam other than a call
            in
            > Bridge or a noisy closing of a door?
            >
            > Are you winding me up or is there really a band named after
            President
            > Lincoln's assassin? If so,there is no way I would attend that slam
            > out of my profound respect for one of your country's greatest men.
            >
            > As ever
            > Wings
            > Ps sorry to be so touchy but you hit a soft spot.

            TIP:  If you are receiving individual messages, you can modify your membership to receive no e-mail or a daily digest of messages.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
              Dear Suzi
              Thanks for the explanation of slam.
              As for the band in question. I too have acquired a reputation for
              possessing a wicked sense of humour at times but I have my
              limitations.
              It riles me when comedians make fun of persons I respect such as the
              late Queen Mother, The Pope ( even though I am not Catholic), Nelson
              Mandela, Mother Teresa, Princess Diana. The list is endless.
              Standards have declined miserably. In my younger days it was the norm
              to stand whilst the national anthem was played. Even at home my
              father would stand erect if it was played on the radio and we kids
              would be encouraged to follow suit.
              Nowadays it is only played at special functions such as football
              matches or promenade concerts and people appear embarrassed to be
              seen honouring their country's heritage by standing quiet for
              just a
              few moments.
              There is even no honour accorded the dead today. To most people a
              funeral procession is a nuisance, making them late for some trivial
              pursuit or other.
              How different and polite were the days when a cortege passed and
              people removed their hats, bowed their heads and stood until the
              hearse had moved on carrying a corpse to its final resting place. As
              servicemen it was the rule to face the road and salute smartly,
              holding that stance until the hearse had passed.
              As a point of interest, the only time an officer salutes a junior is
              when he is dead or is wearing the highest medal for valour: The
              Victoria cross.

              I sincerely trust the USA will not follow this country's lapse of
              courtesy to the land of their birth.

              As ever

              Wings
              Call me sentimental but this leopard's spots are irremoveable.
              -
            • Brenda Coxe
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2003
                Same is true of many former leaders.  I once heard there was a reason for the sign in many places of lodging here in Delaware that say "Washington slept here".

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 8, 2003
                  My dear Melissa,

                  The short answer to your post would be a quote from Shakespeare's
                  Julius Caesar:

                  "The evil that men do lives after them;
                  The good is oft interred with their bones."

                  If you are referring to Lincoln's infidelity when you say he was
                  not the saint people like to remember. It is a fact your fair sex are
                  attracted to men of power. I am reminded of other good presidents
                  with the same problems: The great FDR and Kennedy for instance.
                  UK parliament, past and present is riddled with liaisons between high
                  ranking ministers and their lady friends.
                  For six years I stood as an independent member for local government
                  in Cornwall and I was many times propositioned by constituents of the
                  feminine gender and before you ask, no I did not succumb to
                  temptation for I had a beautiful wife at home. I do not consider that
                  makes me a saint for I'm sure there must be a skeleton or two in my
                  cupboard waiting for some vindictive individual to open the door and
                  let the bones rattle to the floor.

                  Breaking aside for a moment of levity:
                  When discussing infidelity and mistresses I like the quote attributed
                  to John Wilkes:

                  Lord Sandwich " You will die either on the gallows or of the
                  pox"
                  Wilkes " that must depend on whether I embrace your ordship's
                  principles or his mistress"

                  Service.
                • Melissa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 10, 2003
                    Wings,
                    No, I do not refer to Lincoln's infidelity.  I think most of our esteemed leaders have succumbed to that temptation at some point.  Look at Kennedy (as you stated) and even more recently, Bill Clinton.
                    What I am more referring to is Lincoln as a hypocrite.  He fought to abolish slavery, but in fact had his own slaves and actually believed in slavery.  Granted, he still did a wonderful thing by creating his emancipation proclamation but that makes him no less a hypocrite.  There are several other "skeletons" that cause me to carry this opinion but it would really take quite a while to explain them all.  Nonetheless, it is a very interesting subject to study.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 10, 2003
                      I did actually hear that about Lincoln, but I also heard he got rid of them sometime later.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 10, 2003
                        Hi Sassy,
                        I am obliged to agree with you, even those in the highest places
                        can be accused of reaching those heights climbing on the backs of
                        lesser mortals.

                        I would like to tell you something of Abe Lincoln which had a
                        profound effect on me.
                        However,were I to post it on this site I might be accused of smoking
                        funny tobacco, so sometime later I will e-mail you via your Yahoo
                        ID and trust you will use your discretion whether it is fit to
                        go 'public'.

                      • Melissa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 11, 2003
                          Wings,
                          I'll look forward to reading your story.  I'll keep my eyes out!!

                          Melissa