Memories

  • themonotonyofrepetition <SAADI_316@HOTMA
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
      The dark threatening clouds had established their dominion
      over the murky heavens. The atmosphere was now laden with a chilling
      breeze, the brazen intensity of which was palpable in the bones. I
      strode purposely towards the moor, my pace quickening with each
      droplet of rain caressing my face, as if serving as a harsh reminder
      of the fact that I was late for my tryst. The melodic bellow of the
      nearby bell-tower signaled the proximity of the rapidly approaching
      dusk. I entered the vast premises of the moor. The area which seemed
      so beauteous from afar in the light of day now appeared distant and
      haunting, with its splendour now tinted with a bizarre nocturnal
      melancholy. I rounded a corner, and beheld her in her usual place, at
      the centre of the garden in the midst of the dandelions, settled
      amicably under the large oak tree. The mere sight of her always took
      my breath away. Nostalgia weaved its magic, and I was taken back
      through the turbulent sands of time to when I had first seen her. It
      was at the same place two years ago.

      As always, she was clad in white then; a refreshing white
      whose glitter bespoke the chastity of her being. Her disheveled black
      curls resting on her frail shoulders, dappled with bits of golden
      straw and providing an enchanting display of shade and shadow; her
      soft white hands, lovingly stroking the smoothness of the surrounding
      emerald grass and marveling at the suppleness of the blooming roses,
      her tiny nose taking in the revitalizing essence of a nature
      thunderstruck at her beauty; and her unforgettable eyes, exhibiting
      an awesome versatility in colour like the rainbow, signifying the
      wondrous spirit that breathed within. She was a goddess, and I had
      become a believer, a worshipper.

      The absorbing imagery of my mind's eye was interrupted by a
      strong gust of wind that blew across my face, crudely grazing my
      skin. I looked up at her questioning eyes, and felt overwhelmed by
      the amalgam of affection and sadness in them.

      "What took you so long?"

      "I had to get these", I said, bringing my hand that held a
      bouquet of daisies forward. At once, her countenance brightened, and
      the omnipresent sadness in her eyes vanished for an instant.

      "You remembered! You always remember."

      Daisies were her favourite.

      "Can I ask you something?" The vacillation in her tone took
      me by surprise.

      "Anything."

      "Why do you come here to see me everyday? Don't you have
      anything better to do?"

      "I have nothing better to do than to come and meet the woman I love."

      "But there are times when one has to let go."

      "Can you ever let go of me?"

      "You know it's different for me."

      "How is it any different? You can never cease to love me, yet you
      implore me to forget you just like that. Love is not capricious. It
      isn't as if I can flip a switch and suddenly stop cherishing you.
      You .... are my life.", and I fought back the tears that came rushing
      to my eyes.

      "I am just a memory for you. The image of me that you have
      created exists merely in your imagination. You do not love me; you
      love an apparition. Why can you never accept that it is all over,
      that all is now lost?"

      "I cannot accept it because of the way you still manage to captivate
      me. When you look at me, I can still feel my heart skipping a beat;
      when you smile, I still momentarily forget all my woes, and can
      remember nothing but your radiant face; when I look into your eyes, I
      can still discern a light that brightens up my life, and shines like
      a halo around my person. I cannot accept it because... you still make
      me feel loved."

      The gale intensified, and the pelting droplets mingled with
      my tears, giving a bitter taste.

      I strode forward, placed the daisies on the drenched grave,
      and silently walked away.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
        Hi Saadi

        Sadly,I can identify with this piece.I have been there many times
        these past twenty years.

        Well written but may I suggest you tone down the wet weather aspect
        until nearer the closing paragraph.Perhaps the rain could start
        spitting when you are nearer to the tree and before "her soft white
        hands lovingly stroked the smoothness of the surrounding emerald
        grass".
        You describe the forerunner of a storm yet the girl is sitting on the
        grass under an oak tree. I immediately suspected the girl was a
        figment of your imagination This tended to spoil what could have been
        a surprise ending.

        Anticipating more in the same vein during 2003.

        Best wishes