Re: so here I am

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
      Dear Gohladucan...I hope you find what you need with us at
      ticket2write. We are big on encouragement and help and the best
      advice we can offer. As for motivation, it does not come from
      others, it is a writer's own need to write which keeps him or her at
      it in spite of all the problems, conflicts and obligations of work
      and family life. It is an addiction for which there is only one
      source of relief (publication). When others discourage you, you are
      not required to be polite...Tell them to go away and leave you alone
      and to please do your laundry and prepare meals and watch the
      children while you are busy. It won't make you popular, but it will
      get you one step closer to your goal. If you don't take yourself
      seriously as a writer, friends and family won't either. Remember,
      writing is a job, and requires the same dedication you would give any
      other career.

      Best of luck, and please feel free to vent your frustrations here.
      Also, feel free to post your work, ask for advice and offer your
      comments about the works of other writers.

      Suzianne
      suzianne411@...
      http://ticket2write.com

      --- In ticket2write@y..., gohladucan <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > So here I am with a well of knowledge to write about and experience
      > abound. Unfortunetly it seems that I have no real motivation due
      > the fact that no one I know is all that supportive of me writing
      and
      > infact attempting to discourage me from doing so. So if there is
      any
      > one who knows a way of maybe helping me get started, even
      connection
      > to any small literary magazine or anything really, let me know, I
      > feel it is essiental that I get published some how.
    • Jon Wood
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In ticket2write@y..., gohladucan <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        So here I am with a well of knowledge to write about and experience
        abound. Unfortunetly it seems that I have no real motivation due to
        the fact that no one I know is all that supportive of me writing and
        infact attempting to discourage me from doing so. So if there is any
        one who knows a way of maybe helping me get started, even connection
        to any small literary magazine or anything really, let me know, I
        feel it is essiental that I get published some how.
        ********************
        You've come to the right place for an ear to listen to your writing.
        And encouragement aplenty. If your writing is good we will say so, if
        it isn't we will try to tell you ways to improve it. If it's a
        shoulder to cry on you need....well.

        Writing is like a drug habit. It is something you can't live without.
        And, if it is to amount to much, it needs to be done daily. Give
        yourself a certain amount of time each day to write. Pretend it's
        your job. Because that is what writing is, a job just like being a
        fireman or a nurse, or a game warden.

        Writers write. Writers love to write. Writers had rather write than
        eat when they are hungry. No matter the obstacle, writers write.
        Writers read. Writers love to read. Writers had rather read more than
        anything but write. Writers keep a book tucked in a hip pocket or
        somewhere close at all times. Writers visit libraries. Writers study
        the craft just like an electrician studies circuits and splicing.

        Never depend on somebody else finding your markets for you. That's
        your job. It is a part of the craft of writing. Often what you write
        will draw you to a certain magazine: for we writers are what we read.
        Jon Wood-writer
      • Sam Adams
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
          Don't worry about whether other people are supportive of your desire
          to write. Write because you want to and because you have something to
          say, not because someone else agrees that you should. As for being
          published, it can be a long hard road. First figure out your style,
          then figure out ways to get your material read. Do you write fiction?
          Non-fiction? Crime? Mystery? Poetry? Romance? Fantasy? The
          possibilities are nearly endless.

          Sam

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2002
            Hi Jon
            Whilst agreeing with most of what you have to say, I admit to being a
            maverick where reading is concerned.
            A book has to be not necessarily a blockbuster but one that grabs me
            from the first paragraph before I give it a moment of my valuable
            time.
            I am a director of three companies and secretary of two. I have a
            large garden, an engineering workshop that requires my attention on a
            daily basis(including Sundays).I cook and I clean (well,I push the
            Hoover around now and then)I volunteer to be at the beck and call of
            a wonderful family.I write estimates for a building contractor.I
            price quotations for fire protection works.I write advertising copy
            for guest houses and local businesses.(I'm considering making a small
            charge for these services)I have a book full of inventions that I
            have yet to patent,from a revolutionary new clothes washing machine
            to a drive for nuclear submarines which could greatly increase their
            speed and manoeuvrabilty below the surface
            So,when do I find time to read?
            Anytime after 2345hrs usually, after I have read and approved new
            messages on this site.
            On the plus side,I think nobody could accuse me of plaguerism. At
            least not of contemporary literature.
            Perhaps I am at fault, for Harry Potter does nothing for me.Come to
            that neither did JRR's Lord of the Rings.
            I am lucky in being able to write on almost any subject with the
            prompt of a few words.What you might call the Walter Mitty of the
            written word.
            Read by all means but not at the expense of eroding the time set
            aside for writing.

            Best as always

            Wings
            Ps. I think it's about time I delegated
          • Jon Wood
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2002
              --- In ticket2write@y..., wings081 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              Hi Jon
              Whilst agreeing with most of what you have to say, I admit to being a
              maverick where reading is concerned.
              A book has to be not necessarily a blockbuster but one that grabs me
              from the first paragraph before I give it a moment of my valuable
              time.

              Best as always

              Wings
              Ps. I think it's about time I delegated
              *****************
              Ahh, Wings. But don't you see? You do read. You read before you
              write. That also counts because what you read also are the topics
              about which you write. Even when they both are business related.

              You aren't a wannabe like so many of us are. You practice what you
              preach in ever so many ways. I often wonder which came first: the
              obsession to read or the necessity to write.

              Jon Wood-Gardener too.
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2002
                Hi Jon

                You ask: "which came first the obsession to read or the necesity to
                write"
                In my case it was the necessity to read. My first occupation was that
                of librarian in charge of a high street lending library.To advise
                borrowers on the best book for their particular taste,I was duty
                bound to at least skim through the latest volumes on the shelf.
                I soon became used to the difference between a western oriented male
                and the romantically inclined female. I would slip new volumes 'under
                the counter' for my favourite customers.They had to wait awhile
                for "Lady Chatterly's Lover" until I had finished it. Well,that's one
                of the perks of the job.
                Writing became an obsession at a very early age. I remember
                purchasing a Yost typewriter (from a second hand shop)which had two
                sets of keys.A lower case and an upper case for capitals.It was very
                old and often the upper case operating arms would become entangled
                with the lower in my haste to put my thoughts on paper.
                I could afford only the flimsiest of paper which was little more than
                tissue but the main object was to write my piece and keep the keys
                clattering.
                It's now 0004hrs and time to give these keys a rest.
                Good to hear from you Jon
                Bestregards
                Wings
              • Sam
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2002
                  Wings,

                  The obsession to read must come first. In the crib or the rocker, a
                  father reads his child to sleep. By the time that child is a year or
                  two old, he or she has favorite books that are searched out night
                  after night at bedtime, all in preparation for that comforting moment
                  of storytelling before sleep.
                  Writing moved from necessity to obsession, for me, after the enforced
                  writing of high school, sometime during the enforced writing of
                  college. I found I enjoyed playing with words. There is a kind of
                  power in molding meaningless letters into just the right word, and
                  words into just the right paragraph. It is the power to move the
                  world, one reader at a time.
                  When I speak to students about writing, I tell them much the same
                  thing. Writing is an opportunity to touch people in a way that you may
                  never be capable of touching them in person. A surgeon can stop a
                  heart and start it back. But a writer a can make a heart leap for joy,
                  sink to the deepest depths of despair, skip a beat in fear or pound
                  out a rhythm of love.

                  Sam

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
                    Hi Sam.
                    Yes, I did read to my children.I should amend read to narrate,for the
                    stories were mostly invented out of my own head.I think they must
                    have had some sort of impact because if I stopped bcause they were
                    looking tired, my wife,sitting close by would ask me to continue as
                    she was anxious to hear the end of the tale.
                    If I teased her by saying she would have to wait for the next
                    episode,she had a cruel answer. "OK, no tale, no tail"
                    I would also create lullabyes. Some to existing tunes and others to
                    my own pitiful musical renditions.
                    My wife would accuse me of being a little mad but then she already
                    knew that before she married me.She had been forewarned by my friends.

                    So,in this instance the writing or composition was a basic necessity
                    to coax the little horrors into the land of nod. Then again,it
                    fuelled my obsession to write.

                    Thanks for your input Sam

                    Best as ever
                    Wings