41909RE: Gibraltar

    Nov 8, 2013

      Dear Rod

      A most interesting article. I particularly like the part referring to the "Expression of England's amity towards us (USA) and showing that if a bond of unity and a community of interest subsisted between the 'parent and offspring' they would rule the destiny of the world".

      Quad erat.demonstrandum.

      ---In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dear Wings,

      You might be interested in this article written by my great, great grandfather. Back before radio and other electronic distractions, people plunked down their hard earned money to read lengthily articles about places they had never been:

      http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:ArticleToMailGifMSIE&Type=text/html&Path=BEG/1868/02/10&ID=Ar00400&Locale=&ChunkNum=0

      Rod

      ---In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, <wings081@...> wrote:

      Dear Members

      To exercise my pen pushing muscles I often send articles to our UK national press

      The following is one example I contributed when the Spanish were once again demanding we give them Gibraltar with the same ridiculous ardour the Argies

      used over the Falkland Isles (and look how far that got them.) the following is my effort to prove this British lion has not lost his roar.

      Gibraltar.

      Under the treaty of Utrecht 1713, Gibraltar was ceded to Britain in perpetuity.

      For those Spanish who don’t understand English that translates as PERPETUIDAD. A bond with no fixed maturity date. ETERNO to you.

      It is nearly 70 years since I last flew around the Rock and landed a Lancaster bomber on runway 27at Gibraltar but due to clerical errors I am still on the R A F class E reserve list in my 92nd year, so I’m warning you Iberian troublemakers: Put a sock in it or as General  MacArthur said in WW2, I shall return.