41856Re: It's not always as clear as black and white (Milton 41855))

    Jul 21, 2013
      Hi Milton
      Re; "Living in Miami Beach"
      I spent a very interesting 9 months in Miami way back in the 40s.
      Not Florida but Miami Oklahoma which locals pronounced My-amma.
      American civilian pilots tried their utmost to teach me how to take an aircraft up into the firmament and return it to Earth in one piece.
      Luckily for me (and for them) I cottoned on fairly quickly and was presented with the coveted pair of wings.
      Whilst enjoying my sojourn courtesy of Uncle Sam I was treated by one and all of your countrymen with the utmost respect and friendliness whatever their colour or creed.
      I believe it was partly due to my enthusing about the American Way of Life that three of my siblings emigrated to The States resulting in the major part of my now extended family being either American born or of changed nationality to enjoy 'the good life'. However, news we receive over here is that the good life is suffering a setback these days.All I can say to that is: "Join the club".

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Milton Trachtenburg <mtracht508@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Wings:
      >

      > Living in Miami Beach, I see all the tourists and residents here who have the objective to toast their skin. All people except those from tribes from Equatorial regions, where skin is almost blue-black, darken in the sub-tropical sun here. In reality, other than those few whose blood isn't mixed with someone from the other side of the world or the other side of town has varying hues of skin color and it really has nothing to do with the color "designations" of reality. I am among of those lucky people who tan instead of redden despite the fact that my known relatives spent many hundreds of years in Eastern and Western Europe before migrating to the USA so my present coloring is far darker than many people who fill in the "black" designation on government census forms.
      >

      > Bigotry is not about reality. Rather, it is about perception. Perception is often about false assumption and you know what they say about people who ASSUME ...

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic