33580Re: my very first interview (33576 Diva))

    Jul 3 2:12 PM
      Dear Marge
      I was once asked for advice on public speaking and I offered this
      opinion:

      On Public speaking

      Public speaking is the top phobia with most people and yet with a
      little practice it can become most enjoyable to hold a group of
      people in the palm of your hand.
      Unless you are in a hostile environment, your audience wants you to
      succeed.
      Try to remain calm even when your mouth is dry, your palms are
      sweating and your knees shaking. Speak slowly and enunciate clearly.
      Concentrate on speaking to the back of the room to ensure your voice
      carries. Vary the tone of your voice to prevent a monotone which will
      have the listeners yawning with disinterest.
      Public speakers are actors and should rehearse well before mounting
      the rostrum. There is no disgrace in using an `idiot board' sheet of
      paper in front of you with the salient points of your proposed
      presentation in large type. Smile if the speech warrants it and
      adjust your delivery to the solemnity or humour of the occasion. But
      above all enjoy the time at your disposal for you are the star of the
      moment so twinkle and let your light brighten the room and you may
      receive a standing ovation.

      Ps. Marge,I'm sure you are not in need of my advice for yours is the
      voice of experience.
      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Diva <the_only_data_diva@...>
      wrote:

      > That is so true, Dave. Poets do adopt that bored monotone often or
      they read so fast that their work becomes a giant run-on sentence.

      > I try to be balanced and not let myself intrude on a piece.
      That's the reason I hired that group of words in the first place.

      > :o)
      >
      > Marge
      >
      > David Roth <davidjroth2002@...> wrote:
      >
      > I have found it interesting over the years to go to live
      readings, or to listen to poets and authors on the radio, be full of
      enthusiasm when talking about their work, suddenly adopt this
      disinterested, almost bored, monotone voice when they start to read.
      Thankfully, while you became suddenly very serious when reading, at
      least you didn't do the bored, monotone, disinterested voice.