27325Re: Spinafex with Didge in mp3

  • nigel_tiptoe
    Mar 31, 2006
      Gwen - thank you for your very kind comments and suggestions. As to
      the sound of the Didge, have a listen to the samples at:

      http://www.didjshop.com/shop1/soundscapescart.html

      I'm sure there's more to find on the web, but these are good.

      Nigel

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Ames <poetry4u@...> wrote:

      > Nigel,
      >
      > The sensual images in the poem are trememdously overpowering. What
      a masterpiece of a poem. The images are vivid and strong and I am so
      glad you forwarded the link for the didgeridoo. I only wish it had a
      sound recording of one (even if seconds long).

      > On suggestions, (I am a sound poet), I think the ending should be
      slowed down and savored. The last three words could replicate the
      sounds of slowing drum beats before the music stops. They could be
      read slower and with a heavier accent like the repetition and finale
      of the drum....

      > Dance upon the great wild arc
      > of earth beneath the sun.
      > Dance across the dazzling sky.
      > Come
      > my lady
      > come.
      >

      > Just food for thought. And thanks for the acknowlegment. It was
      thoughtful of you.

      > Gwen
      >

      > nigel_tiptoe <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > This version of this evolving poem is in debt to your suggestions
      > Gwen, responds to your delight in its invitation Carol, and reacts to
      > your rejection of that invitation Maynard ;o)
      >
      > Spinafex was historically called Porcupine Grass by non-Aboriginal
      > Australians, for those not famiiier with Australian native flora; this
      > name might more easily convey the sense I am getting at. And for those
      > not familier with Aboriginal musical instruments, see
      > http://aboriginalart.com.au/didgeridoo/what_is.html
      > to understand the term 'didge.'
      >
      > SPINAFEX
      >
      > Spinafex is sharp.
      >
      > Spiny tussocks stud the plain
      > in all directions forever
      > featureless beneath the violent light
      > of a never setting sun.
      >
      > Come my lady
      > into these indefinite distances.
      > Shed your rags and ashes
      > and dance to the songs of your blood.
      > Come.
      >
      > Come.
      > Your beating heart lends rhythm
      > to a desert where else there's none.
      > And I will click sticks in time
      > to your thrum-thrum.
      >
      > Daub your body ochre strange
      > with feathers decorate
      > your shivering shapes as you dance
      > to the didge's grumble-hum
      >
      > And the didge's shriek and cukcukcoo
      > and the clap sticks' tap and tap
      > welcome you to wilderness
      > there to dance, as I drum.
      >
      > Dance upon the great wild arc
      > of earth beneath the sun.
      > Dance across the dazzling sky.
      > Come, my lady, come.
      >

      > Learn more about ticket2wite at http://ticket2write.tripod.com

      > Creative writing Professional writer Creative writing
      course Creative writing program Writing book Writing a book

      Service.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic