25412Re: The moral of the story. (25410 Carol))

    Dec 3, 2005
      Dear Carol

      Just a little show of appreciation to your Grandma.

      Epitaph to a fine old lady.

      A wonderful lady was old grandma Ruth.
      But a bit of a tomboy, to tell you the truth.
      To Sturgis Dakota on the back of a Harley
      Too fast to tell, whether wheat or barley
      Grew in the fields as they travelled along
      With hair flying wild and singing a song
      She cared not a fig, as they went in the red
      She's been at the whiskey everyone said
      Now she wasn't a drunk or a sot let me tell
      But for medicinal purpose it suited her well
      She wanted to skydive at ten thousand feet
      But doc said "No way" so that got her beat
      So she gargled with whiskey, a bottle or more
      Rooted for the Tigers `til her throat was sore
      She would be there today in front of the crowd
      If the good lord had let her, if she'd been allowed,
      To put down her crossword and join in the roar
      As Dave Dombrowski urged his team to score.
      So raise up your glass, whether `tis sunshine or shady
      Drink a toast to grandma Ruth, a wonderful lady

      --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carol_emt87@y...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Wings,
      > My grandma Ruth was a very unique lady. She volunteered at a
      nursing
      > home, reading to the residents among other things, cheering them
      up
      > for many years even when she was already older than most of them.
      > suspect it kept her young. She also puzzled out crosswords and
      word
      > searches to exercise her mind. And I never heard her say a single
      bad
      > word about anyone either. She did get pissed off at her own body
      > after the stroke took away her ability to drive. Very independent
      > strong willed lady with a great sense of humor, hard headed and
      soft
      > hearted. I can only hope to emulate a few of her better qualities.
      > Always,
      > Carol
      >
      > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, wings081 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > > Dear Carol
      > >
      > > Your grandmother must have been a great character.
      > > Too many of today's youngsters tend to treat the elderly as
      > > wrinkleys with 'the court cards missing from their deck'
      > > If only they took the time out to listen to the adventures of
      the
      > > past,they may come to realise there is more to life than video
      > games
      > > and false lifts gained from alcohol and noxious substances.
      > >
      > > I had a grandad who was active until the day he died aged 99yrs.
      > > he used to catch the train to town to meet up with his cronies
      and
      > > to place bets on the Gee Gees.
      > > One day he was a little late at the bus stop.It was one of those
      > > double decker buses with a rear platform and grab rail.
      > > Well as I say,Grandad was late and the bus started to pull away.
      > > Now that wasn't good enough for grandad. He reached out with his
      > > walking stick and hooked it around the grab rail hoping to stop
      the
      > > bus. Well,it didn't work as he expected and he was dragged to
      the
      > > ground.Luckily the conductor saw him and stopped the bus.None
      the
      > > worse for his spill grandad continued on his way.
      > > They don't make 'em like that any more do they?
      > >
      > > As always
      > >
      > > Wings.
      > >
      > > --- In ticket2write@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carol_emt87@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dear Wings,
      > > > Great story as always. This gal reminds me of my grandmother
      who
      > > > passed away two years ago at the age of 97. Grand lady who
      > > > faithfully, goos year or bad, rooted for the Detroit Tigers
      and
      > > > always had a bottle of whiskey in her cupboard for, as she
      > > > said, "medicinal purposes." She rode to Sturgis (huge
      motorcycle
> [...]
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic