FEmergency Conditions Brewing in Tibet Again?! China Demands Return of Children!

  • bvgftr2
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2008
      from tibetfree@yahoogroups.com

      http://www.chennaionline.com/colnews/newsitem.asp?NEWSID=%7bF8194516-
      B3EF-4DFE-8BDE-1A9AC588F771%7d&CATEGORYNAME=INTER
      http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/PoliticsNation/
      China_tells_officials_to_call_back_children_from_Dalai_schools/
      rssarticleshow/3273371.cms

      China tells officials to call back children from Dalai schools
      24 Jul, 2008, 1242 hrs IST, PTI

      BEIJING: China has launched a fresh crackdown on the Dalai Lama
      supporters, this time within the ruling Communist Party, by issuing
      an ultimatum to cadres and officials in Tibet to call back their
      children within two months from overseas schools and monasteries run
      by him in India and other countries.

      Failure to comply with the notice issued on July 14 would invite
      expulsion from the party and sacking from their posts under a
      regulation drawn up by the regional party and government disciplinary
      inspection commissions, a Daily said.

      Present and retired party members and government employees in the
      Tibet Autonomous Region are covered by the regulation, it said.

      After the unrest erupted in Tibet in March which saw the worst anti-
      government protests in two decades, China has persistently attacked
      the self-exiled Tibetan leader based in India and his supporters,
      whom Beijing calls "the Dalai clique", accusing them of having
      orchestrated the violence.

      The Dalai Lama who fled to India after a failed uprising against
      Chinese rule in 1959 has also been accused of trying to "sabotage"
      the Beijing Olympic Games. The Nobel laureate has denied both
      charges.

      Under intense global pressure ahead of the Olympic Games, Chinese
      government representatives and envoys of the Dalai Lama held two
      rounds of fence-mending talks, including the latest in the first week
      of July, but failed to make any headway.

      *******************************

      http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=591688

      China tells officials to call back children from Dalai schools

      RAGHAVENDRA BEIJING, JULY 24 (PTI)

      China has launched a fresh crackdown on the Dalai Lama supporters,
      this time within the ruling Communist Party, by issuing an ultimatum
      to cadres and officials in Tibet to call back their children within
      two months from overseas schools and monasteries run by him in India
      and other countries.

      Failure to comply with the notice issued on July 14 would invite
      expulsion from the party and sacking from their posts under a
      regulation drawn up by the regional party and government disciplinary
      inspection commissions, state-run China Daily said.

      Present and retired party members and government employees in the
      Tibet Autonomous Region are covered by the regulation, it said.

      After the unrest erupted in Tibet in March which saw the worst anti-
      government protests in two decades, China has persistently attacked
      the self-exiled Tibetan leader based in India and his supporters,
      whom Beijing calls "the Dalai clique", accusing them of having
      orchestrated the violence.

      The Dalai Lama who fled to India after a failed uprising against
      Chinese rule in 1959 has also been accused of trying to "sabotage"
      the Beijing Olympic Games. The Nobel laureate has denied both charges.

      Under intense global pressure ahead of the Olympic Games, Chinese
      government representatives and envoys of the Dalai Lama held two
      rounds of fence-mending talks, including the latest in the first week
      of July, but failed to make any headway.

      The "Dalai clique's" offer of free scholarships, boarding and lodging
      was designed to attract Tibetan students to leave their homes and
      join its educational institutions outside China, the report carried
      in the International Herald Leader (IHL), owned by official Xinhua
      news agency, has reported.

      Since 1960, the year after he fled to India, the Dalai Lama had been
      setting up schools overseas, a study conducted by IHL and published
      in the paper said, noting that hundreds of monasteries and temples
      and about 80 schools for all age groups with more than 27,000
      students and about 2,000 teachers were now being operated.

      A college in Dharamsala in India with about 650 students, offered
      Young Tibetans not only free tuition and accommodation worth about Rs
      2,000 a month but also pays them a monthly stipend of Rs 100, it
      claimed.

      The IHL study said about 40 per cent of Tibetan students there pursue
      higher education, many in Western countries, and called the
      incentives as part of the "Dalai clique's aim to brainwash students
      under the cloak of religion and education."

      The money spent on "such brainwashing" showed that the "Dalai clique"
      continued to receive aid from "Western anti- China forces", such as
      the National Endowment for Democracy, George Soros Open Society
      Foundation and the US-based Tibet Foundation, the IHL said.

      --- End forwarded message ---
    • Stephen Fox
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2008
        Thanks so very much for sending me this news. I have posted them with my own
        remarks critical of Beijing at two sites:

        Transworldnews, a free news and press service at:
        http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=54410&ret=AccountDtl.aspx

        Op Ed News, will send you the link when it is available

        I appreciate your keeping updated on such things, and I encourage you also to
        use these two great sites, where I have published many many articles.

        When Marathoners and Triathletes keel over in the Beijing Smog, please
        remember that it was I who first predicted this....

        Truly,

        Stephen Fox, Managing Editor, Santa Fe Sun News
        stephen@...