Enthronement of Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo

  • Cittamani
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2008

      HH Dalai Lama also strongly supports this.  Read the web site.

      Good news for all sentient beings and especially women practitioners and vajrayana Bhikshunis.

      It is with great joy that we tell all friends of Tenzin Palmo and Dongyu Gatsal Ling Nunnery that Tenzin Palmo has been given the title of JETSUNMA, which means Venerable Master, by His Holiness the Twelfth Gyalwang Drukpa, Head of the Drukpa Kagyu lineage. His Holiness bestowed this honour on Tenzin Palmo at Druk Amitabha Mountain in Kathmandu, a Nunnery of about 150 young nuns, on his birthday, the 16th February 2008. He did so in recognition of her spiritual achievements as a nun and her efforts in promoting the status of female practitioners in Tibetan Buddhism.

      During the ceremony, His Holiness explained that Je means `accomplishment of a Yogini and Tsun means `accomplishment of the path of a Bhikshuni'. He went on to say `Men were always given the privilege to do all practices, but it was not given to women. This is very sad. But now it is different. It would be unkind if I would not give the title of Jetsunma to Venerable Tenzin Palmo for the benefit of all females in the world and the Palden Drukpa lineage.'

      Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo says `His Holiness the Gyalwang Drukpa has for a long time been concerned to raise the standard of female practitioners and give them due respect. As part of his campaign on behalf of women, he decided to `promote' me to the rank of Jetsunma (Venerable Master), using this as an expression of his regard for women in the Dharma. When I first head of His Holiness'plans I was quite shocked and dismayed, but the feedback from all over the world was so positive, that I realized this honour was not just about me but included all female practitioners on the path.'

      The ceremony in Kathmandu was attended by many of Jetsunma's dearest friends and the three Dongyu Gatsal Ling nuns who are Trustees represented the DGL Nunnery. They say `We are really happy to have this opportunity to be with Jetsunma for her enthronement. All the DGL nuns are so proud that Jetsunma is the first woman in the Drukpa Karyu lineage to receive this rare honour. This is a good example for all Buddhist women. All of the DGL nuns are very happy that this Jetsunma title is given to our own Tenzin Palmo.'

      Dongyu Gatsal Ling Nunnery Office

      Visit the website of His Holiness the Twelfth Gyalwang Drukpa www.drukpa.org and read the interview with Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo `Females Quest for Enlightenment' in the November 2007 issue of The Dragon.