Spiritual Names

  • faunalotus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008

      I'm curious how people have come by their spiritual names?  What methods did you use to choose it?  Or was it given to you by somebody else?  How many times has it changed since you began your path, if at all?  If you do not have a spiritual name do you even want one?  What holds you back?

      During the summer of 2006 I stayed at a yoga ashram as a volunteer and as I worked beside the residents there I learned of their names and how they came by them.  Once someone had been there for a certain amount of time and grew spiritually their guru gave them a spiritual name he felt was appropriate for that person.  They were beautiful sanskrit names.  Since then part of me has always yearned for a teacher/ guru/ spiritual advisor to know me enough spiritually to give me a name they felt suited me.

      That is not in the cards at this time and I don't know if it ever will be.  For now I will just be happy as I am and choose for myself as my spiritual path continues to unfold before me.

      Namaste,
      Fauna Lotus

    • Federica Mastropaolo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hello

        someone asked my Dzogchen master for a 'spiritual name'

        He answered:

        ''What is your birth name?''
        asnwer: Paul ....
        The Master: ''well Paul is your Dharma name then''

        So Paul understood his entire
        exhistence was to be integrated in Dharma......

        Federica

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
          I don't think I ever asked a human what my spiritual name was. Had
          a teacher, of another path, that kind of pushed one at me. I didn't
          ask. And infact I missed one meeting where I was going to be
          presented with this name. All I kept thinking was, "I don't need
          another name." Didn't know untill the next month that I was getting
          a new name.
          It adds something to understanding what that other person sees in
          you. Didn't really seem needed to me.

          I was given a "dharma name" when I took refuge for the first
          time. A previously written down name handed to me by the lama as
          the line filed past for his blessing. I don't know yet what to
          think of being called a vajra victory banner. So I'm some kind of
          prayer flag? I hate the wind, how does that help?

          I did go on a pilgrimage, which started with the question of
          what name God calls me. (Christian based beginnings.) And the word
          I got, very clearly is not so much a name as a description of
          activity. And it gets used in other places quite often in the same
          context. Conduit. Originally a secrect passage thru a castle.

          So, what is the thing with names anyhow. It is something to
          ponder.

          bahB

          --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, Federica Mastropaolo
          <fedemastro@...> wrote:

          > Hello
          >
          > someone asked my Dzogchen master for a 'spiritual name'
          >
          > He answered:
          >
          > ''What is your birth name?''
          > asnwer: Paul ....
          > The Master: ''well Paul is your Dharma name then''
          >
          > So Paul understood his entire
          > exhistence was to be integrated in Dharma......
          >
          > Federica

        • dorje.khandro
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
            --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Do I Even Know?"
            <bahbdorje@...> wrote:

            > I don't think I ever asked a human what my spiritual name was. Had
            > a teacher, of another path, that kind of pushed one at me. I didn't
            > ask. And infact I missed one meeting where I was going to be
            > presented with this name. All I kept thinking was, "I don't need
            > another name." Didn't know untill the next month that I was getting
            > a new name.
            > It adds something to understanding what that other person sees in
            > you. Didn't really seem needed to me.
            >
            > I was given a "dharma name" when I took refuge for the first
            > time. A previously written down name handed to me by the lama as
            > the line filed past for his blessing. I don't know yet what to
            > think of being called a vajra victory banner. So I'm some kind of
            > prayer flag? I hate the wind, how does that help?
            >
            > I did go on a pilgrimage, which started with the question of
            > what name God calls me. (Christian based beginnings.) And the word
            > I got, very clearly is not so much a name as a description of
            > activity. And it gets used in other places quite often in the same
            > context. Conduit. Originally a secrect passage thru a castle.
            >
            > So, what is the thing with names anyhow. It is something to
            > ponder.
            >
            > bahB
            >

            > --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, Federica Mastropaolo
            > <fedemastro@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello
            > >
            > > someone asked my Dzogchen master for a 'spiritual name'
            > >
            > > He answered:
            > >
            > > ''What is your birth name?''
            > > asnwer: Paul ....
            > > The Master: ''well Paul is your Dharma name then''
            > >
            > > So Paul understood his entire
            > > exhistence was to be integrated in Dharma......
            > >
            > > Federica

            What could be more beautiful?
            or more vital to the moment. :)
            Shine on!
          • faunalotus
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
              Dorje Khandro,

              Could you repost what you wrote? I didn't see anything new and am
              curious what you said! :)

              Thanks!
              Fauna Lotus

              --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "dorje.khandro"
            • dorje.khandro
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
                --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "faunalotus"
                <misstjohnson@...> wrote:

                > Dorje Khandro,
                >
                > Could you repost what you wrote? I didn't see anything new and am
                > curious what you said! :)
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Fauna Lotus
                >
                > --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "dorje.khandro"
                > <dorje.khandro@> wrote:

                I'm sorry. I am not accustomed to posting here, so perhaps I made a
                mistake. :)
                I said something to the effect of:
                Fauna Lotus is beautiful....
                and perfect as far as names go...