Just Joined

  • faunalotus
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2007
      Hello!

      I just joined this group after hearing about it from an Abbot at the
      CloudWater Zendo, the Zen Center of Cleveland. They have a
      fabulous "Ask-a-monk" forum where you can send questions about
      Buddhism and have them answered, very promptly I might add, by a
      qualified Buddhist teacher. I am very interested in and most drawn
      to Tibetan Buddhism though and when I asked if they knew of a
      resource where I might find answers this is where they pointed me to!

      There are a lot of resources out there on the internet and in books,
      but I'm really looking for answers to questions I'm having trouble
      finding on my own.

      I first heard about Tibetan Buddhism a little over 3 years ago when I
      read The Book of Tibetan Elders by Sandy Johnson. That was my
      introduction to Green Tara as well. I find Tibetan Buddhism to be
      warm and welcoming and that it allows me to learn about and practice
      the Dharma in a way that really resonates within me.

      I've recently tried to start doing a Green Tara Practice, but the
      more I search for the "how's" and the "why's" that go along with it
      the more frustrated I get by not knowing which school to follow or
      which lineage. I know that all 4 schools of Tibetan Buddhism do a
      Tara practice. I get confused when in a Tara sadhana it says that I
      am supposed to pay homeage to the lineage behind the practice because
      I have many books by different authors all about Green Tara, but I
      can't seem to find a common lineage. I get lost in the names and
      can't find one school, lineage and teacher to focus on.

      I have great respect, fondness and admiration for His Holiness Tenzin
      Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama and as I said before am very drawn to
      Green Tara.

      I just want to know what school, lineage and teacher to focus on so I
      can start doing my Green Tara Practice in earnest and feel more
      stable in knowing where and what to study. Right now I feel like a
      kite flapping in the wind.

      I don't have access to any in person resources either because while I
      am from the United States, I currently live in Kuwait and there are
      no meditation centers or Buddhist temples here.

      If anyone has any ideas I would be very thankful.

      Namaste,
      Fauna Lotus
    • Federica Mastropaolo
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2007
        Dear Fauna Lotus hello,
        I try to give you my little input
        I am practicing Dharma since 15 years and the most important
        thing I understood is that a direct connection with a Master and to
        received transmission of any practice (Tara also need transmission)
        is essencial. So it is not much about what school to follow but what Master
        and why, what connection you have. May be you discover a Teacher you
        feel connected through a book, but to step further and partecipate to live
        teachings would be most important.
        In particola I follow HH The Dalai Lama, as he is not just a Lineage Holder
        but his teachings are beyond any limitation of schools, and Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
        who is a Dzogchen Master, world famous, he wrote many books you can find with snowlion online.
        Dzogchen is not a school in particolar (www.dzogchen.it)
        but is considered to be the essence of all Tibetan schools.
        There is a current opportunity to follow live webcast teachings every day till the 3rd of january,
        and if you can make it to receive the Guru Yoga Transmission from Namhai Norbu would be
        so important.
        Theese are the infos and schedule to connect freely via the internet:

        The upcoming retreat on "Longchenpa's Choszhi Rinchen Phrengwa" to be
        held by Choegyal Namkhai Norbu in Tashigar South, Argentina, will be
        transmitted in open webcast starting on December 27th at 16:00 (4:00
        PM
        ) Argentinian time. Subsequent sessions from December 28th to
        January 3rd will begin every morning at 10:00 AM Argentinian time.

        You can find out your own local time using the time converter here:
        http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

        This Webcast is OPEN (no password required for audio connections).
        Updated URLs and instructions on how to connect are found here:
        http://www.dzogchencommunity.net/webcast/index.php?Listen

        If you miss a live session, you can find a link to the replay
        service, and related instructions, here: (this require membership and password)
        http://www.dzogchencommunity.net/webcast/index.php?Listen:Replay

        In the Webcast Support Site http://www.dzogchencommunity.net/webcast
        you can always find the webcast calendar, updated schedule and
        information. Check it out regularly!

        Please find below important information about the Retreat of Tashigar
        Sur during Christmas and New Year:

        The teaching will be Longchenpa's Choszhi Rinchen Phrengwa. The
        webcast will be open (no password required for audio connections).

        Here is the daily schedule as received from Rinpoche - PLEASE READ
        THE IMPORTANT NOTE FOR DECEMBER 30th!:

        27th Dec. 4-6pm.Introduction about the retreat teaching, for
        directing our mind to the Dharma, observing on our precious human
        body and its condition impermanent;

        28th Dec.10-12am. How related our life to the cause and effects and
        its consequence infinite suffering of transmigration, tridlung of the
        Short Thun;

        29th Dec.10-12am. What is the main point for our mind is directing to
        the Dharma and for discovering its special advices;

        30th Dec. 10-12am. The transmission of Guru Yoga and the instruction
        of Maha Yana Sutra    and Mantra Yana's methods for liberating our
        illusory visions;

        *****
        IMPORTANT! ON December 30th Argentina switches to Daylight Saving
        Time
        , going back 1 hour with the clock. This means that the sessions
        from December 30th will effectively begin 1 hour earlier in
        Argentina, as compared with most other countries. Please check your
        local time for December 30th and following days here:
        http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
        *****

        31st Dec. 10-12am. The special teaching of Ati Yoga's method for
        liberating our illusory visions;

        1st Jan. 10-12am. How the illusory visions are manifesting in wisdom
        provisionally and definitely;

        2nd Jan. 10-12am. The end of Longchenpa's teaching and tridlung of Ghanapuja;

        3rd Jan. 10-12am. Some tridlung of collective practices and advice
        for the daily life practices. The retreat finish with a Short Thun
        practice all together.

        -----------------------

        Thank You and Good Bye,
        The Webcast Team 26/12/2007
        ------------------------
        webcast@...
        merigaroffice@...

        Ciao
        Federica

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007

          Dear Fauna,

          Hi, I also consider myself new to Tibetan Buddhism. But after reading the book, "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying", by Sogyal Rinpoche, I knew I had found the right path for me, finally. To borrow a quote from another reader," the book simply loved me back". Her is a website you may find of help, on your journey, www.rigpa.org

          Warmest Regards,

          Cathy B.

          Fauna Lotus

        • K. Tenzin Drakpa
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
            Hello,
            Before you get too far consider reading "Zen Mind, Beginers mind" by
            Shunryu Suzuki. IMHO it contains helpful information for all of us
            anywhere along our path and merits rereading often. Next you might
            try an on-line study group such as the one lead by my teacher,
            Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche. You'll find information at:
            http://www.nalandabodhi.org/study_curriculum.html
            What I think will be especially helpful to you about Rinpoche's on-
            line study group in your situation is the face to face contact with
            the instructors,via internet video link. I have been through the
            curriculum in a class room setting and from my direct personal
            experience I can tell you there is a lot of well organized
            information included in the studies.
            Congradulations on whatever has brought you to study dharma.
            Trust your mind and relax in the decisions you make. You will make
            the best choices for your path.

            --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, faunalotus
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Hello!
            >
            > I just joined this group after hearing about it from an Abbot at
            the
            > CloudWater Zendo, the Zen Center of Cleveland. They have a
            > fabulous "Ask-a-monk" forum where you can send questions about
            > Buddhism and have them answered, very promptly I might add, by a
            > qualified Buddhist teacher. I am very interested in and most drawn
            > to Tibetan Buddhism though and when I asked if they knew of a
            > resource where I might find answers this is where they pointed me
            to!

            > There are a lot of resources out there on the internet and in
            books,
            > but I'm really looking for answers to questions I'm having trouble
            > finding on my own.
            >
            > I first heard about Tibetan Buddhism a little over 3 years ago when
            > read The Book of Tibetan Elders by Sandy Johnson. That was my
            > introduction to Green Tara as well. I find Tibetan Buddhism to be
            > warm and welcoming and that it allows me to learn about and
            practice
            > the Dharma in a way that really resonates within me.
            >
            > I've recently tried to start doing a Green Tara Practice, but the
            > more I search for the "how's" and the "why's" that go along with it
            > the more frustrated I get by not knowing which school to follow or
            > which lineage. I know that all 4 schools of Tibetan Buddhism do a
            > Tara practice. I get confused when in a Tara sadhana it says that
            > am supposed to pay homeage to the lineage behind the practice
            because
            > I have many books by different authors all about Green Tara, but I
            > can't seem to find a common lineage. I get lost in the names and
            > can't find one school, lineage and teacher to focus on.
            >
            > I have great respect, fondness and admiration for His Holiness
            Tenzin
            > Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama and as I said before am very drawn to
            > Green Tara.
            >
            > I just want to know what school, lineage and teacher to focus on so
            > can start doing my Green Tara Practice in earnest and feel more
            > stable in knowing where and what to study. Right now I feel like a
            > kite flapping in the wind.
            >
            > I don't have access to any in person resources either because while
            > am from the United States, I currently live in Kuwait and there are
            > no meditation centers or Buddhist temples here.
            >
            > If anyone has any ideas I would be very thankful.
            >
            > Namaste,
            > Fauna Lotus

          • Federica Mastropaolo
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
              welcome

              Oh, and I will check out that website you suggested. Thanks again!

              <misstjohnson@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > I have great respect, fondness and admiration for His Holiness
              > Tenzin
              > > > Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama and as I said before am
              very drawn
              > > > Green Tara.
              > > >
              > > > I just want to know what school, lineage and teacher to focus
              on
              > so I
              > > > can start doing my Green Tara Practice in earnest and feel more
              > > > stable in knowing where and what to study. Right now I feel
              like a
              > > > kite flapping in the wind.
              > > >
              > > > I don't have access to any in person resources either because
              > while I
              > > > am from the United States, I currently live in Kuwait and there
              > are
              > > > no meditation centers or Buddhist temples here.
              > > >
              > > > If anyone has any ideas I would be very thankful.

            • faunalotus
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
                Federica,

                While I don't agree with all that you said and think some of the
                things you said contradict each other, I appreciate you taking the
                time to reply to my post.

                All the best,
                Fauna Lotus

                --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, Federica Mastropaolo

                ______________
                > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

              • faunalotus
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
                  Cathy B.,

                  <just_believe@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > can't find one school, lineage and teacher to focus on.
                  > >
                  > > I have great respect, fondness and admiration for His Holiness
                  Tenzin
                  > > Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama and as I said before am very drawn to
                  > > Green Tara.
                  > >
                  > > I just want to know what school, lineage and teacher to focus on
                  so I
                  > > can start doing my Green Tara Practice in earnest and feel more
                  > > stable in knowing where and what to study. Right now I feel like a
                  > > kite flapping in the wind.
                  > >
                  > > I don't have access to any in person resources either because
                  while I
                  > > am from the United States, I currently live in Kuwait and there
                  are
                  > > no meditation centers or Buddhist temples here.
                  > >
                  > > If anyone has any ideas I would be very thankful.

                • Federica Mastropaolo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 30, 2007
                    No problem Fauna Lotus!!

                    in life there is also people who do not agree to Dharma in general
                    and last of my intention is to convince you of anything, just sharing
                    experiences whith some of the most valuable teachers of our time.
                    Sogyal Rinpoche also is a great teacher....
                    So, I wish you good luck in your endeavor.

                    <fedemastro@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > Time, going back 1 hour with the clock. This means that the
                    sessions
                    > from December 30th will effectively begin 1
                    hour earlier in
                    > Argentina, as compared with most other countries. Please check your
                    > local time for December 30th and following days here:
                    > http://www.timeandd ate.com/worldclo ck/converter. html
                    > *****
                    >
                    > 31st Dec. 10-12am. The special teaching of Ati Yoga's method for
                    > liberating our illusory visions;
                    >
                    > 1st Jan. 10-12am. How the illusory visions are manifesting in
                    wisdom
                    > provisionally and definitely;
                    >
                    > 2nd Jan. 10-12am. The end of Longchenpa's teaching and tridlung of
                    Ghanapuja;

                    > 3rd Jan. 10-12am. Some tridlung of collective practices and advice
                    > for the daily life practices. The retreat finish with a Short Thun

                    Webcast Team 26/12/2007

                    > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                    > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
                    http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                  • faunalotus
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
                      K. Tenzin Drakpa,

                      Thank you. I will look into that book and link you suggested.

                      --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "K. Tenzin Drakpa"