Re: [TBG] How can we as Buddhist develop more Compassion ?:

  • R. Kenoyer
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 29, 2007
      I'm not sure that it matters in this case. Dharma is dharma, and
      nobody is soliciting donations.

      ~~Rachael

      On Nov 29, 2007, at 6:19 AM, dorjeshonnu wrote:

      > Peter Ray is not a Buddhist monk. Peter Ray represents himself as
      > Thubten Pema Tenzin, a purported monk, and a purported tulku. We are
      > each capable of assessing the value of links on our own. The value of
      > dharma is beyond dispute; this is irrelevant. The actions of Peter Ray
      > in providing these links is an appropriation of dharma content with
      > the intent of misrepresentation of his identity online as not only an
      > ordained, but also an accomplished source of refuge. Thus while the
      > content is positive, the karma involved is negative.

    • Do I Even Know?
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 2, 2007
        The conserns about karma...aftr I look around googlin' I find this
        drama is much larger than just a posting here. How does the person
        chasing around after what they perceive as a wrong get slapped with
        karma?

        The proper way to deal with impostors, as was relater to me by my
        Lama, and which I have read in many books (Buddhist and Christian)
        is to just ignore them. Don't waste time spreading angry hateful
        words about people.

        I do not know either of these persona, nor do I care how they
        present themselves on the internet. The internet is a world of
        false fronts and hidden identities. I can't prove wgho anyone is,
        not even if I meet them in person. So why have a tissy about what
        someone chooses as a name?

        bahB

        --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kenoyer"
        <rubylou@...> wrote:

        > I'm not sure that it matters in this case. Dharma is dharma, and
        > nobody is soliciting donations.
        >
        > ~~Rachael
        >

        > On Nov 29, 2007, at 6:19 AM, dorjeshonnu wrote:
        > >
        > > Peter Ray is not a Buddhist monk. Peter Ray represents himself as
        > > Thubten Pema Tenzin, a purported monk, and a purported tulku. We
        are
        > > each capable of assessing the value of links on our own. The
        value of
        > > dharma is beyond dispute; this is irrelevant. The actions of
        Peter Ray
        > > in providing these links is an appropriation of dharma content
        with
        > > the intent of misrepresentation of his identity online as not
        only an
        > > ordained, but also an accomplished source of refuge. Thus while
        the
        > > content is positive, the karma involved is negative.

      • dorjeshonnu
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
          "Do I Even Know?" <bahbdorje@...> wrote:

          > The concerns about karma... after I look around googlin' I find this
          > drama is much larger than just a posting here. How does the person
          > chasing around after what they perceive as a wrong get slapped with
          > karma?
          >
          > The proper way to deal with impostors, as was related to me by my
          > Lama, and which I have read in many books (Buddhist and Christian)
          > is to just ignore them. Don't waste time spreading angry hateful
          > words about people.
          >
          > I do not know either of these persona, nor do I care how they
          > present themselves on the internet. The internet is a world of
          > false fronts and hidden identities. I can't prove who anyone is,
          > not even if I meet them in person. So why have a tissy about what
          > someone chooses as a name?

          No tissy, no angry hateful words involved.
          But you try getting on your Lama's throne before a teaching.
          Put on some robes and the whole kit. See what happens.

          You will be removed, one way or another, for your own good.
        • imperialdlptutoring
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
            Isn't the real issue here kind and gentle speech and skillfullness
            (which I think are particularly important online since one can't see
            the facial expressions of people reading one's messages) rather than
            whether someone is or isn't a monk (but, nonetheless a sentient being
            who's wellness we should wish for)? I (personally) believe the
            original motivation for the posting with links was positive and am
            not (personally) interested in whether the person posting the message
            is a monk or not. Further, I find it ironic and more than a little
            disheartening that a thread about compassion, in one of the more
            compassionate parts of the internet, degenerates into an exchange
            which strikes me as far from compassionate. So, for the benefit of
            ALL subscribers of this list could I respectfully request/suggest
            that members exercise a measure of restraint and skillfullness
            (motivated by compassion, being mindful particularly of 'right
            speech') before posting messages which might be misconstrued and
            cause mental anguish in fellow subscribers!

            With metta,

            Mike

            --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "dorjeshonnu"
            <dorjeshonnu@...> wrote:

            > Steven Levey <sallev1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is it that I am not a Buddhist Monk for appreciating the links,
            or is
            > > the one sending the links not a Buddhist monk? And just what
            state of
            > > mind are you in to overlook the value of links, which offer so
            much
            > > to the student regarding bodhicitta, so that you might be
            accusatory.
            > > Is that not the opposite of the intention here?
            >
            > Peter Ray is not a Buddhist monk. Peter Ray represents himself as
            > Thubten Pema Tenzin, a purported monk, and a purported tulku. We are
            > each capable of assessing the value of links on our own. The value
            of
            > dharma is beyond dispute; this is irrelevant. The actions of Peter
            Ray
            > in providing these links is an appropriation of dharma content with
            > the intent of misrepresentation of his identity online as not only
            an
            > ordained, but also an accomplished source of refuge. Thus while the
            > content is positive, the karma involved is negative.
            >
            > The compassionate action in this case is to take steps to correct
            any
            > misrepresentations of identity that Peter Ray undertakes.
            Particularly
            > before he begins soliciting donations on the basis of these
            > misrepresentations - again. Thank you for the direct question
            Steven.

          • Do I Even Know?
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
              And no actual responce to my questions or staements.

              I'm not putting on any robes.

              The Karmic Question concerns how YOU are acting. What is your
              qualification to denounce people? Are you privy to all the refuge and
              ordination records? What's the deal? I am asking questions here. I
              am curious how it works that you feel untainted by your accusations.
              Never has any Tibetan Buddhist, or any other Buddhist (except
              scammers) make a point about anyones qualifications as you have.

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
                "Do I Even Know?" <bahbdorje@...> wrote:

                > The Karmic Question concerns how YOU are acting. What is your
                > qualification to denounce people? Are you privy to all the refuge
                > and ordination records? What's the deal? I am asking questions
                > here. I am curious how it works that you feel untainted by your
                > accusations. Never has any Tibetan Buddhist, or any other Buddhist
                > (except scammers) made a point about anyone's qualifications as you
                > have.

                Hello to you in California. Thank you for your concern about my
                wellbeing. I appreciate it very much, and hope your own practices are
                fruitful. The situation of my causes is greatly helped by the
                Vajrasattva 100-syllable sadhana provided to me and others by the
                Venerable Khenpo Sonam Tobgyal Rinpoche, as well as the other
                wang/tri/lung empowerments and transmissions I've been fortunate
                enough to receive from other teachers. I direct my daily actions
                according to the advice and texts of credible sources of authority,
                and own best judgment. While I do not live what some would call an
                ideal life, I have confidence in the Three Jewels, my teachers, and
                methods, and look forward to liberation, or the next life of benefit
                to sentient beings.

                There is no especial qualification involved in denouncing anyone,
                other than that the situation be significant enough for action to be
                taken, and that the person so denouncing be adequately informed enough
                to make a credible assertion. In the case of a person falsely claiming
                to be ordained sangha, the situation seems significant enough to me.

                I am not privy to "all refuge and ordination records". In the case at
                hand I am privy enough to the claims made by the individual, the
                observed conduct of the individual, and his ongoing insinuations of
                identity here. Amongst the various pictures he has taken from other
                people's websites he includes a photo of documents, with refuge names,
                that he claims are ordination records - these constitute nothing of
                the sort. There have been various small inconsistencies in his
                accounts about himself, some glaring problems with conduct, and in
                fact vajra siblings of mine have investigated some of his claims
                specifically.

                For instance he has claimed to be a tulku recognized by Ngakpa Orgyen
                Kusum Lingpa Rinpoche. An email was sent to the people here:

                http://www.omura.com/k_lingpa/klingpa1.htm

                and the response was this:

                "Hello,
                I don't know who you are, or why you are concerned about this person.
                I remember him having visited our center one time and as I remember
                Kusum Lingpa only recognized him to be a pretty crazy guy. He seemed
                to me to be mentally unbalanced although not harmful. The last I knew
                of him he was in Nepal, sending messages back for financial support.
                There is no proof anywhere that Kusum Lingpa recognized him as a tulku.
                Yours,
                Yeshe Tarchin"

                Thus on the basis of small, greater, and direct statements from a
                credible source as evidence, I have made my statements here, and am
                satisfied with any causes which may in future ripen on the basis of
                these actions.

                I think it is uncommon to see this sort of thing because most people
                in their right minds have no interest in representing themselves in
                such a way. As you said, you will not be putting on the robes.

                As for Peter Ray, whose name is actually, sorry, Donald Peter Ray Jr,
                I am willing to believe that he has taken refuge and perhaps even
                bodhisattva vows, and may in fact be deluded by the thought that these
                have in some sense constituted full ordination. But this merely
                compounds his difficulties if, having taken particular vows, he has
                acted against them. In no sense do I believe him to be acting out of
                pure malice, or that he is some kind of mara. It is simply that his
                story does not hold up under inspection, and thus I believe he needs
                to be protected from his own actions.
              • Do I Even Know?
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 7, 2007
                  Thank you for the information. I will now put it all out of my mind
                  if I can, and try to stay focused on what I can do to continue my
                  own practices.

                  bahB

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 9, 2007
                    Just picking up on one (important) point and then I really will go
                    quiet, return to my practice, and allow the group/list to do the same:

                    <dorjeshonnu@...> wrote:
                    > Kusum Lingpa only recognized him to be a pretty crazy guy. He seemed
                    > to me to be mentally unbalanced although not harmful.

                    Since Buddhism IS par excellence about sanity and having a healthy mind
                    (and, indeed, the benefits of meditation in terms of mental health are
                    widely documented), not surprisingly, quite a few people suffering
                    mental illness ARE drawn to Buddhism (in a genuine effort to take
                    control of their minds and help themselves). So my personal view is
                    that the compassionate action, so far as possible, is to welcome these
                    individuals and applaud/assist them in their efforts to help themselves
                    (albeit sometimes deluded and misguided) rather than condemn them.

                    I also believe quite a few individuals suffering mental illness
                    subscribe to online Buddhist lists like this one. So, since people
                    suffering mental illness may be very vulnerable, and we cannot know
                    what state of mind they are in when posting/reading online messages I,
                    personally, believe kind and gentle speech is VERY important online
                    when communicating with/about these troubled/disturbed individuals who,
                    through no fault of their own, are suffering mental illness. If anyone
                    reading this post IS suffering mental illness (and there is no stigma
                    in that) perhaps I could draw your attention to the Buddhist Wellness
                    Group:

                    ... which has an explicitly mental health focus and where all are
                    welcomed (whether monks or not ;-) ).

                    OK, I really WILL go quiet here and leave everyone in peace to get on
                    with their practice!

                    With metta,

                    Mike
                  • Steven Levey
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 17, 2007
                      Dear Mike,
                         Regarding this statement of yours:
                       "I personally, believe kind and gentle speech is VERY important online
                      when communicating with/about these troubled/disturbed individuals who,
                      through no fault of their own, are suffering mental illness."
                          I feel a couple of ways at once about this. First, let me say that I think your basic point is well taken. But I also think it serves well to have another explain a situation as best they can, (such as he who initially made us aware of the other's issues) without, as you mentioned, harsh overtones. That is, if they are really aware of something regarding a possible abuse of trust, of which others may not.
                         Secondly, If it were true that the mental instability in question were really-karmically, not the fault of the disturbed individual, then by the law of our being and Karma, there would be no way for one to make corrections (even as presented by a practioner), if they were inclined to allow Buddhism to work its alchemy upon them through a new humility and Mindfullness. This is because we are all responsable for the state of our minds, even in so much that the causes seem inscrutable. So, if we are not the cause, then we can not be the effect. Therefore, it must be true-only if we are the cause can we be effective in making the change, which we first have to admit we need (no small task), and then admit that only through "self devised and self imposed efforts" can equalibrium be reinstated-by the one who at some point must have been the original cause in the resultant disequalibrium (even in the case where our Karma has had us incarnate in a body with an imperfect mind/brain relationship-it is still our Karma!). It is taught, and experience shows, that Cause and Effect is an exact linear relationship, although egoity wishes for only reasons it knows, to make it seem otherwise. Of course this is part of the problem of any resultant mental disequalibrium.
                         There is a Tibetan text which says that "The mind is the great slayer of the Real. Let the disciple slay the slayer". The implication being that it is only though Buddha mind that the Monkey mind can be aligned. However, until then, the Monkey mind is, through attachment to external phenomena, making desicions based upon Mara. To varying degrees, this is the cause of delusion for all of us and to those most afflicted, it is also the basis of their "troubled/disturbed" state.
                         None of the above is merely imperical. It is an understanding arrived at through Mindfullness and application to my own issues, as I have learned from those wiser than me. Does it require a "Professional" to present the antidote? Or, will a "wakefull" being do? Can there be both?-Sure. I think it aught to be said however, as Psong ka pa points out, as do others, that this human state is rare to attain, and per the Diamond Sutra, it is must be even further rare to have the Karma of the Three Jewels in ones life. To abuse such a combination seems very sad.

                      Steve

                      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BuddhistWe llnessGroup/

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 19, 2007
                        Thanks Steve! On the first point, I still hold that skillfullness and
                        kind and gentle speech are important when dealing with disturbed and
                        vulnerable people and other 'difficult' situations in life. I take as
                        my basic moral benchmark 'non harm' (in speech and action). Will my
                        words (or actions) do harm to others?? If so, then either remain
                        silent or rephrase them (more skillfully) in a form that will not do
                        harm.

                        On the second point I think the issue of responsibility and
                        diminished responsibility is a complicated one legally and in
                        relating to/helping people suffering mental illness. But, as a
                        relative Buddhist neophyte, I'm grateful for your explanation from
                        the Buddhist perspective, and will take some time to try and digest
                        this and it's implications!

                        Metta,

                        Mike (who really will try and go quiet here, having made his point...)

                        --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, Steven Levey

                        ______________
                        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                      • Steven Levey
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 25, 2007
                          Mike,
                               The key to this issue:

                          "On the second point I think the issue of responsibility and
                          diminished responsibility is a complicated one legally and in
                          relating to/helping people suffering mental illness."

                          lies in the those conditions under which we subscribe upon taking state liscensure boards, and which I understand. There is no way in which one who takes such "vows" can keep his practice, both morally and legally, if they were to go back on their basis. However, you should be aware that regardless of these rules to which one has subscribed, unless the patient will take the advice given as a theraputics to be PRACTICED and APPLIED to themselves-by themselves, there will be no benefit for him (her). In this sense all theraputics, whether offered by a liscenced practioner (Psychiatrist or otherwise), or a Monk will not have any effect, unless the individual does their work.
                              I feel that we must not seperate the Dharama of the Teachings from our daily life, and since we subscribe to the Dharma, it must also hold true in the world of our daily round. If not, the Dharma for us is only another sectarian practice where we are looking to be saved, rather than save ourselves with the aide of the Truth as in the Four Noble Truths.

                          Steve

                          href="http://groups./" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BuddhistWe llnessGroup/

                          > http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                        • imperialdlptutoring
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 26, 2007
                            Thanks, Steve- that makes sense. I just needed a bit of time for the
                            penny to drop!

                            Thanks!

                            Mike