His Holiness in DC

  • Steven Levey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2007
      Hello,
      I was fortunate enough to have gotten a chance to observe the Gold
      medal award ceremony for The Dalia Lama in DC on 10/17 and it was
      quite an affair. I work in DC at Health and Human Services-down the
      street from the captol, so I have become somewhat used to the
      behavior of these political types. Although in their defense, a few
      of them had been in contact with His Holiness in India for many
      years and they were taking great pains to say the right thing,
      including The President and the Speaker of the House. In a way. who
      could blame them since his simple powerful presentment of self is so
      awesome, and they did take a politically courageous stance in
      supporting his cause and the Tibetan People's-outright to China.
      But, as he said in his acceptance speech regarding Senator Durgon-a
      long time supporter of His Holiness and who spoke very eliquently
      about him: "these politicians do good work....they do lie just a
      little." So, I think that although he was probably happy to be in DC
      and receive such a Medal of Freedom, still perhaps his motives and
      understanding of freedom and theirs were not quite the same.
      He brought a large Tibetan retinue of monks, singers, dancers nad
      musicians and there were many Tibetan's in the audiance, along with
      at least a couple of thousand others. I think he was happy to
      celebrate for them, not so much the medal. He also had a chance to
      speak his mind about the silly concerns of the Chinese whose actions
      and words are so tranparently manipulative. Still, he was fair to
      them, even as the American politicians were who said that if the
      Chinese took the opportunity to allow His Holiness to meet with them
      in Bejing, they would listen to a peaceful man with no alterior
      motives, whose concerns are for religious autonomy for all Tibetans
      in Tibet, as well as all peoples around the globe. He said that It
      would not be an overture for the political freedom of Tibet, which
      must have been most difficult for him to articulate. He also made it
      clear that if the Chinese continue to misuse and abuse the natural
      resources of Tibet, and especially the rivers, that this would have
      an overtly negative effect upon many Asian countries.
      So, all in all, it was beautiful event, although very hot (80's),
      and I'm sure that the Tibetan Monks, in their regalia, were somewhat
      uncomfortable. I know I was, although it was worth it to see how
      many supporters of his there are in this country and witness the
      Tibetan horns blown so loudly in Washington DC.
      On a slightly negative note-Don't you think our faithful American
      actor could be a little more articulate? I mean, if you use such a
      term as "compassion" enough it becomes just sounds, as other
      actually meaningful words have become in our time and especially in
      English. I mean, here he has this huge stage in which to express
      something interesting to all of these attentive folks (he was alone
      on this huge screen overlooking the Capitol lawn). I think he should
      practice being a better spokesman who bridges the gap between
      American religious thought and Buddhist thought as does his teacher,
      otherwise I think his amazingly opportune position is put to waste.

      Steve