    Message 1 of 785 , Sep 19, 2007
      pray for all of us, oppressor and friend, that together we may succeed in
      building a better world through human understanding and love, and that in
      doing so we may reduce the pain and suffering of all sentient beings.

      --from His Holiness' Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech, Oslo, December
      1989, from "The Pocket Dalai Lama" compiled and edited by Mary Craig

      When you have fully recognized that the nature of your mind is the same as
      that of the master, from then on you and the master can never be separate,
      because the master is onewith the nature of your mind, always present, as it
      is.

      When you have recognized that the master and you are inseparable, an
      enormous gratitude and sense of awe and homage is born in you. Dudjom
      Rinpoche calls this �the homage of the View.� It is a devotion that springs
      spontaneously from seeing the View of the nature of mind.

      Imagine vividly a situation where you have acted badly, one about which you
      feel guilty, and about which you wince even to think of it.

      Then, as you breathe in, accept total responsibility for your actions in
      that particular situation, without in any way trying to justify your
      behavior. Acknowledge exactly what you have done wrong, and wholeheartedly
      ask for forgiveness. Now, as you breathe out, send out reconciliation,
      forgiveness, healing, and understanding.

      So you breathe in blame, and breathe out the undoing of harm; you breathe in
      responsibility, breathe out healing, forgiveness, and reconciliation.

      This exercise is particularly powerful and may give you the courage to go to
      see the person whom you have wronged, and the strength and willingness to
      talk to him or her directly and actually ask for forgiveness from the depths
      of your heart.

      What really matters is not just the practice of sitting but far more the
      state of mind you find yourself in after meditation. It is this calm and
      centered state of mind you should prolong through everything you do. I like
      the Zen story in which the disciple asked his master:

      �Master, how do you put enlightenment into action? How do you practice it in
      everyday life?�
      �By eating and by sleeping,� replied the master.
      �But Master, everybody sleeps and everybody eats.�
      �But not everybody eats when they eat, and not everybody sleeps when they
      sleep.�
      From this comes the famous Zen saying, �When I eat, I eat; when I sleep, I
      sleep.�

      To eat when you eat and sleep when you sleep means to be completely present
      in all your actions, with none of the distractions of ego to stop you from
      being there. This is integration.

      Think of the moment of death as a strange border zone of the mind, a
      no-man�s land in which, on one hand, if we do not understand the illusory
      nature of our body, we might suffer vast emotional trauma as we lose it, and
      on the other we are presented with the possibility of limitless freedom, a
      freedom that springs precisely from the absence of that very same body.

      When we are at last freed from the body that has defined and dominated our
      understanding of ourselves for so long, the karmic vision of one life is
      completely exhausted, but any karma that might be created in the future has
      not yet begun to crystallize.

      So what happens in death is that there is a �gap,� or space, that is fertile
      with vast possibility; it is a moment of tremendous, pregnant power where
      the only thing that matters, or could matter, is how exactly the mind is.
      Stripped of a physical body, the mind stands naked, revealed startlingly for
      what it has always been: the architect of our reality.

      I remember how people would often come to see my master Jamyang Khyentse
      simply to ask for his guidance for the moment of death. He was so loved and
      revered throughout Tibet, especially in the eastern province of Kham, that
      some would travel for months on end to meet him and get his blessing just
      once before they died. All my masters would give this as their advice, for
      this is the essence of what is needed as you come to die:

      �Be free of attachment and aversion. Keep your mind pure. And unite your
      mind with Buddha.�

      Find just what you are after with the more precise, more powerful new MSN
      Search. http://search.msn.com.sg/ Try it now.
      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011