    Message 1 of 785 , Sep 2, 2007
      ....though the emptiness of an impure phenomenon and the emptiness of a pure
      phenomenon are the same, there is a difference. What is the difference? The
      continuum of an impure substratum will later cease, not existing in
      Buddhahood, whereas a pure substratum's continuum of similar type will exist
      right through Buddhahood. Since the deity as whom you are imaginatively
      meditating yourself is a divine figure that exists in the state of
      Buddhahood when all defilements have been abandoned, this substratum is, for
      your imagination, pure.

      Hence, it is important when doing deity yoga to put great effort into:

      - working at realizing emptiness as much as you can
      - then imagining that the wisdom realizing emptiness appears itself as a
      compassionately directed divine body with a face, arms, and so forth

      - and then taking this divine figure as the substratum and continuously
      meditating on its emptiness.

      --from "Yoga Tantra: Paths to Magical Feats" by H.H. the Dalai Lama,
      Dzong-ka-ba and Jeffrey Hopkins, translated and edited by Jeffrey Hopkins,
      published by Snow Lion Publications

      If we are interdependent with everything and everyone, even our smallest,
      least significant thought, word, and action have real consequences
      throughout the universe.

      Throw a pebble into a pond. It sends a shiver across the surface of the
      water. Ripples merge into one another and create new ones. Everything is
      inextricably interrelated: We come to realize that we are responsible for
      everything we do, say, or think, responsible in fact for ourselves, everyone
      and everything else, and the entire universe.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Take care not to impose anything on the mind. When you meditate, there
      should be no effort to control, and no attempt to be peaceful. Don�t be
      overly solemn or feel that you are taking part in some special ritual; let
      go even of the idea that you are meditating. Let your body remain as it is,
      and your breath as you find it.

      Think of yourself as the sky, holding the whole universe.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Buddha recognized that ignorance of our true nature is the root of all the
      torment of samsara, and the root of ignorance itself is the mind�s habitual
      tendency to distraction.

      To end the mind�s distraction would be to end samsara itself; the key to
      this, he realized, is to bring the mind home to its true nature, through the
      practice of meditation.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      There would be no chance at all of getting to know death if it happened only
      once. But fortunately, life is nothing but a continuing dance of birth and
      death, a dance of change. Every time I hear the rush of a mountain stream,
      or the waves crashing on the shore, or my own heartbeat, I hear the sound of
      impermanence. These changes, these small deaths, are our living links with
      death. They are death�s pulses, death�s heartbeat, prompting us to let go of
      all the things we cling to.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Sit for a short time; then take a break, a very short break of about thirty
      seconds or a minute. But be mindful of whatever you do, and do not lose your
      presence and its natural ease. Then alert yourself and sit again. If you do
      many short sessions like this, your breaks will often make your meditation
      more real and more inspiring; they will take the clumsy, irksome rigidity,
      solemnity, and unnaturalness out of your practice and bring you more and
      more focus and ease.

      Gradually, through this interplay of breaks and sitting, the barrier between
      meditation and everyday life will crumble, the contrast between them will
      dissolve, and you will find yourself increasingly in your natural pure
      presence, without distraction.

      Then, as Dudjom Rinpoche used to say: �Even though the meditator may leave
      the meditation, the meditation will not leave the meditator.�

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      Receive MSN Hotmail alerts over SMS!
      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011