    Message 1 of 785 , Aug 9, 2007
      ....all four tantra sets make use of deity yoga, the special tantric means
      for amassing the collections of merit and wisdom quickly. Highest Yoga
      Tantra has, in addition, techniques for generating subtler minds that
      realise emptiness and for using the winds or currents of energy that are the
      mounts of these subtler minds as the substantial cause of an actual divine
      body. Through this enhancement of the wisdom consciousness the obstructions
      to omniscience are quickly removed and Buddhahood is attained.

      In the three lower tantras--Action, Performance, and Yoga--deity yoga is
      used to bring about the speedy achievement of many common feats and to come
      directly under the care of Buddhas and high Bodhisattvas, receiving their
      blessings, and so forth. This is done through a threefold process known as
      prior approximation, effecting the achievement of feats, and using the feats
      in the performance of activities for the welfare of others.

      --from "Deity Yoga in Action and Performance Tantra" by H.H. the Dalai Lama,
      Tsong-ka-pa and Jeffrey Hopkins, published by Snow Lion Publications

      Death is a vast mystery, but there are two things we can say about it: It is
      absolutely certain that we will die, and it is uncertain when or how we will
      die. The only surety we have, then, is this uncertainty about the hour of
      our death, which we seize on as the excuse to postpone facing death
      directly. We are like children who cover their eyes in a game of hide and
      seek and think that no one can see them.

      If meditation in Dzogchen is simply to continue the flow of Rigpa after the
      introduction by the master, how do we know when it is Rigpa and when it is
      not? I asked Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche this question, and he replied with his
      characteristic simplicity: �If you are in an unaltered state, it is Rigpa.�

      If we are not contriving or manipulating the mind in any way, but simply
      resting in an unaltered state of pure and pristine awareness, thatis Rigpa.
      If there is any contriving on our part or any kind of manipulating or
      grasping, it is not. Rigpa is a state in which there is no longer any doubt;
      there is not really a mind to doubt: you see directly. If you are in this
      state, a complete, natural certainty and confidence surge up with the Rigpa
      itself, and that is how you know.

      Renunciation has both sadness and joy in it: sadness because you realize the
      futility of your old ways, and joy because of the greater vision that begins
      to unfold when you are able to let go of them. This is no ordinary joy. It
      is a joy that gives birth to a new and profound strength, a confidence, an
      abiding inspiration that comes from the realization that you are not
      condemned to your habits, that you can indeed emerge from them, that you can
      change, and grow more and more free.

      Whatever joy there is in this world
      All comes from desiring others to be happy,
      And whatever suffering there is in this world
      All comes from desiring myself to be happy.

      In the Dzogchen teachings it is said that your meditation and your gaze
      should be like the vast expanse of a great ocean: all-pervading, open, and
      limitless. Just as your View and posture are inseparable, so your meditation
      inspires your gaze, and they now merge as one.

      Do not focus on anything in particular; instead, turn back into yourself
      slightly, and let your gaze expand and become more and more spacious and
      pervasive. You will discover now that your vision itself becomes more
      expansive, and that there is more peace, more compassion in your gaze, more
      equanimity, and more poise.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011