    Message 1 of 785 , May 31, 2007
      The theory of interdependence allows us to develop a wider perspective. With
      wider mind, there is less attachment to destructive emotions like anger,
      therefore more forgiveness. In today's world, every nation is heavily
      interdependent, interconnected. Under these circumstances, destroying your
      enemy--your neighbor--means destroying yourself in the long run. You need
      your neighbor. More prosperity in your neighbor, you'll get the benefit.

      Now, we're not talking about the complete removal of feelings like anger,
      attachment, or pride. Just reduction. Interdependence is important because
      it is not a mere concept; it can actually help reduce the suffering caused
      by these destructive emotions.

      We can say the theory of interdependence is an understanding of reality. We
      understand that our future depends on global well-being. Having this
      viewpoint reduces narrow-mindedness. With narrow mind, one is more likely to
      develop attachment, hatred. I think this is the best thing about the theory
      of interdependence--it is an explanation of the law of nature. It affects
      profoundly, for example, the environment.

      --from "The Wisdom of Forgiveness: Intimate Conversations and Journeys" by
      His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan

      Buddha sat in serene and humble dignity on the ground, with the sky above
      him and around him, as if to show us that in meditation you sit with open,
      skylike attitude of mind, yet remain present, earthed, and grounded. The sky
      is our absolute nature, which has no barriers and is boundless, and the
      ground is our reality, our relative, ordinary condition.

      The posture we take when we meditate signifies that we are linking absolute
      and relative, sky and ground, heaven and earth, like two wings of a bird,
      integrating the skylike deathless nature of mind and the ground of our
      transient, mortal nature.

      Anyone looking honestly at life will see that we live in a constant state of
      suspense and ambiguity. Our minds are perpetually shifting in and out of
      confusion and clarity. If we could be confused all the time, that would at
      least make for some kind of clarity. What is really baffling about life is
      that sometimes, despite all our confusion, we can also be really wise!

      This constant uncertainty may make everything seem bleak and almost
      hopeless; but if you look more deeply at it, you will see that its very
      nature creates �gaps,� spaces in which profound chances and opportunities
      for transformation are continuously flowering�if, that is, they can be seen
      and seized.

      The nature of mind is the background to the whole of life and death like the
      sky, which enfolds the whole universe in its embrace.

      When we die we leave everything behind, especially this body we have
      cherished so much and relied upon so blindly and tried so hard to keep
      alive. But our minds are no more dependable than our bodies. Just look at
      your mind for a few minutes.
      You will see that it is like a flea, constantly hopping to and fro. You will
      see that thoughts arise without any reason, without any connection. Swept
      along by the chaos of every moment, we are the victims of the fickleness of
      our minds. If this is the only state of consciousness we are familiar with,
      then to rely on our minds at the moment of death is an absurd gamble.

      In his very first teaching, Buddha explained that the root cause of
      suffering is ignorance. But where exactly is this ignorance? And how does it
      display itself? Let�s take an everyday example. Think about those people�we
      all know some�who are gifted with a remarkably powerful and sophisticated
      intelligence. Isn�t it puzzling how, instead of helping them, as you might
      expect, it seems only to make them suffer more? It is almost as if their
      brilliance is directly responsible for their pain.

      What is happening is quite clear: This intelligence of ours is captured and
      held hostage by ignorance, which then makes use of it freely for its own
      ends. This is how we can be extraordinarily intelligent and yet absolutely
      wrong, at one and the same time.

      Find singles online in your area with MSN Dating and Match.com!
      http://cp.intl.match.com/eng/msn/msnsg/wbc/wbc.html
      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011