Buddhist Temple made by Alexander in Tibet

  • Hawn Veng
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 12:44 AM
      Namaste All,

      I am keen to know that is there any Buddhist Temple/Math in Tibet which
      was made by Alexander the Great (Sikkandar Mahan) to make relations
      with buddhism.

      Waiting eagrly for an early reply or some idea about that.

      Thank you.

      Hawan Veng
    • anguscargill
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30 6:35 AM
        --- In tibetanbuddhistgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Hawn Veng"
        <himalayan07@...> wrote:

        > Namaste All,
        >

        > I am keen to know that is there any Buddhist Temple/Math in Tibet
        which
        > was made by Alexander the Great (Sikkandar Mahan) to make
        relations
        > with buddhism.
        >
        > Waiting eagrly for an early reply or some idea about that.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Hawan Veng

        Hi Hawan Veng,
        Not in Tibet, which Alexander never reached, but the
        Greek (Macedonian) Kings who ruled over his empire after his death
        had
        many Buddhist subjects in the kingdoms of Bactria (modern
        Afghanistan) and Gandhara (modern Pakistan), which were then
        strongly Buddhist areas. There they created a
        style of Buddhist art which combines Greek and local styles. I
        imagine that most of the temples they built are now lost, but
        perhaps some remain. Does anyone know?
        Of the Greek Kings of Gandhara, one is known to have converted to
        Buddhism and became a famous Buddhist "saint." Shamefully I have
        forgotten his name, which is well known, but if you are interested I
        will look it up.
        Best Wishes, Angus