    Message 1 of 785 , Sep 12, 2006
      Howard Cutler: "Have there been situations in your life that you've

      Dalai Lama: "Oh, yes. Now for instance there was one older monk who lived as
      a hermit. He used to come to see me to receive teachings, although I think
      he was actually more accomplished than I and came to me as a sort of
      formality. Anyway, he came to me one day and asked me about doing a certain
      high-level esoteric practice. I remarked in a casual way that this would be
      a difficult practice and perhaps would be better undertaken by someone who
      was younger, that traditionally it was a practice that should be started in
      one's midteens. I later found out that the monk had killed himself in order
      to be reborn in a younger body to more effectively undertake the

      Surprised by this story, I remarked, "Oh, that's terrible! That must have
      been hard on you when you heard..." The Dalai Lama nodded sadly. "How did
      you deal with that feeling of regret? How did you eventually get rid of it?"

      The Dalai Lama silently considered for quite a while before replying, "I
      didn't get rid of it. It's still there. But even though that feeling of
      regret is still there, it isn't associated with a feeling of heaviness or a
      quality of pulling me back. It would not be helpful to anyone if I let that
      feeling of regret weigh me down, be simply a source of discouragement and
      depression with no purpose, or interfere with going on with my life to the
      best of my ability."

      At that moment, in a very visceral way, I was struck once again by the very
      real possibility of a human being's fully facing life's tragedies and
      responding emotionally, even with deep regret, but without indulging in
      excessive guilt or self-contempt. The possibility of a human being's wholly
      accepting herself or himself, complete with limitations, foibles, and lapses
      of judgment. The possibility of recognizing a bad situation for what it is
      and responding emotionally, but without overresponding. The Dalai Lama
      sincerely felt regret over the incident he described but carried his regret
      with dignity and grace. And while carrying this regret, he has not allowed
      it to weigh him down, choosing instead to move ahead and focus on helping
      others to the best of his ability.

      --from "The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living" by His Holiness the
      Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler, M.D.

      In meditation, as in all arts, there has to be a delicate balance between
      relaxation and alertness. Once a monk called Shrona was studying meditation
      with one of Buddha�s closest disciples. He had difficulty finding the right
      frame of mind. He tried very hard to concentrate, and gave himself a
      headache. Then he relaxed his mind, but so much that he fell asleep. Finally
      he appealed to Buddha for help.

      Knowing that Shrona had been a famous musician before he became a monk,
      Buddha asked him: �Weren�t you a vina player when you were a layperson?�

      Shrona nodded.

      �How did you get the best sound out of your vina? Was it when the strings
      were very tight or when they were very loose?�

      �Neither. When they had just the right tension, neither too taut nor too

      �Well, it�s exactly the same with your mind.�

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      In horror of death, I took to the mountains�
      Again and again I meditated on the uncertainty of the hour of death,
      Capturing the fortress of the deathless unending nature of mind.
      Now all fear of death is over and done.

      The teachings tell us what it is we need to realize, but we also have to go
      on our own journey, in order to come to a personal realization. That journey
      may take us through suffering, difficulties, and doubts of all kinds, but
      they will become our greatest teachers. Through them we will learn the
      humility to recognize our limitations, and through them we will discover the
      inner strength and fearlessness we need to emerge from our old habits and
      set patterns, and surrender into the vaster vision of real freedom offered
      by the spiritual teachings.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      We are so addicted to looking outside ourselves that we have lost access to
      our inner being almost completely. We are terrified to look inward, because
      our culture has given us no idea of what we will find. We may even think
      that if we do, we will be in danger of madness. This is one of the last and
      most resourceful ploys of ego to prevent us from discovering our real

      So we make our lives so hectic that we eliminate the slightest risk of
      looking into ourselves. Even the idea of meditation can scare people. When
      they hear the words egoless or emptiness, they think that experiencing those
      states will be like being thrown out the door of a spaceship to float
      forever in a dark, chilling void. Nothing could be further from the truth.
      But in a world dedicated to distraction, silence and stillness terrify us;
      we protect ourselves from them with noise and frantic busyness. Looking into
      the nature of our mind is the last thing we would dare to do.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011