    Message 1 of 785 , Sep 2, 2006
      "The Jewel in the Crown Sutra states, 'Donning the armor of loving-kindness,
      while abiding in the state of great compassion, practice meditative
      stabilization that actualizes the emptiness possessing the best of all
      qualities. What is the emptiness possessing the best of all qualities? It is
      that which is not divorced from generosity, ethics, patience, effort,
      meditative stabilization, wisdom, or skillful means.' Bodhisattvas must rely
      on virtuous practices like generosity as means to thoroughly ripen all
      sentient beings and in order to perfect the place, body, and manifold
      retinue."

      --from "Stages of Meditation" by Kamalashila

      ...Note that practice of generosity and the other perfections is essential.
      This is because the fully enlightened state of Buddhahood is produced by the
      realization of favorable causes and conditions. There is no causeless
      production and nothing is produced by contrary causes. A Bodhisattva has
      many wonderful advantages to help enhance the welfare of sentient beings;
      every virtue performed by such a noble being is very powerful and effective.
      Therefore, Bodhisattvas earnestly engage in the practice of the method
      aspects of the path, including the six perfections, in order to swiftly
      actualize the state of Buddhahood.

      --from "Stages of Meditation" by The Dalai Lama, translated by Venerable
      Geshe Lobsang Jordhen, Losang Choephel Ganchenpa, and Jeremy Russell,
      published by Snow Lion Publications

      When you arrive naturally at a state of meditation, inspired by the View,
      you can remain there for a long time without any distraction or special
      effort. There is nothing called �meditation� to protect or sustain, for you
      are in the natural flow of the wisdom of Rigpa. And you realize, when you
      are in it, that is how it has always been, and is. When the wisdom of Rigpa
      shines, not one shadow of doubt can remain, and a deep, complete
      understanding arises, effortlessly and directly.

      This moment is the moment of awakening. A profound sense of humor wells up
      from within, and you smile in amusement at how inadequate were all your
      former concepts and ideas about the nature of mind.

      There are several reasons for keeping your eyes open when you practice
      meditation. With your eyes open, you are less likely to fall asleep. Then,
      meditation is not a means of running away from the world, or of escaping
      from it into a trancelike experience of an altered state of consciousness.
      On the contrary, it is a direct way to help us truly understand ourselves
      and to relate to life and the world.

      Therefore, in meditation you keep your eyes open, not closed. Instead of
      shutting out life, you remain open and at peace with everything. You leave
      all your senses�hearing, seeing, feeling�just open, naturally, as they are,
      without grasping after their perceptions.

      Whatever you see, whatever you hear, leave it as it is, without grasping.
      Leave the hearing in the hearing, leave the seeing in the seeing, without
      letting your attachment enter into the perception.

      Reflect on this: The realization of impermanence is paradoxically the only
      thing we can hold on to, perhaps our only lasting possession. It is like the
      sky, or the earth. No matter how much everything around us may change or
      collapse, they endure.

      Say we go through a shattering emotional crisis . . . our whole life seems
      to be disintegrating . . . our husband or wife suddenly leaves us without
      warning. The earth is still there; the sky is still there. Of course, even
      the earth trembles now and again, just to remind us that we cannot take
      anything for granted. . . .

      All the Buddhist teachings are explained in terms of Ground, Path, and
      Fruition. The ground of Dzogchen is the fundamental, primordial state, our
      absolute nature, which is already perfect and always present.

      Patrul Rinpoche says: �It is neither to be sought externally, nor is it
      something you did not have before and that now has to be newly born in your
      mind.� So from the point of view of the Ground�the absolute�our nature is
      the same as the buddhas�, and there is no question at this level, �not a
      hair�s breadth,� the masters say, of teaching or practice to do.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011