    Message 1 of 785 , Jun 30, 2006
      Our teacher, Sakyamuni Buddha, is one among the thousand Buddhas of this
      aeon. These Buddhas were not Buddhas from the beginning, but were once
      sentient beings like ourselves. How they came to be Buddhas is this.

      Of body and mind, mind is predominant, for body and speech are under the
      influence of the mind. Afflictions such as desire do not contaminate the
      nature of the mind, for the nature of the mind is pure, uncontaminated by
      any taint. Afflictions are peripheral factors of a mind, and through
      gradually transforming all types of defects, such as these afflictions, the
      adventitious taints can be completely removed. This state of complete
      purification is Buddhahood; therefore, Buddhists do not assert that there is
      any Buddha who has been enlightened from the beginning.

      -- from "The Buddhism of Tibet: The Dalai Lama" translated and edited by
      Jeffrey Hopkins, published by Snow Lion Publications

      Even Buddha died. His death was a teaching to shock the naive, the indolent,
      and the complacent, to wake us up to the truth that everything is
      impermanent and death an inescapable fact of life. As he was approaching
      death, Buddha said:

      Of all footprints
      That of the elephant is supreme.
      Of all mindfulness meditations
      That on death is supreme.

      Because life is nothing but a perpetual fluctuation of birth, death, and
      transition, so bardo experiences are happening to us all the time, and are a
      basic part of our psychological makeup. Normally, however, we are oblivious
      to the bardos and their gaps, as our mind passes from one so-called solid
      situation to the next, habitually ignoring the transitions that are always
      occurring.
      In fact, as the teachings can help us to understand, every moment of our
      experience is a bardo, as each thought and each emotion arises out of, and
      dies back into, the essence of mind. It is in moments of strong change and
      transition especially, the teachings make us aware, that the true skylike,
      primordial nature of mind will have a chance to manifest.

      We have been taught to spend our lives chasing our thoughts and projections.
      Even when the �mind� is talked about, it is only thoughts and emotions that
      are referred to; and when our researchers study what they imagine to be the
      mind, they look only at its projections. No one ever really looks into the
      mind itself, the ground from which all these expressions arise; and this has
      tragic consequences.

      There are rough as well as gentle waves in the ocean; strong emotions come,
      like anger, desire, jealousy. The real practitioner recognizes them not as a
      disturbance or an obstacle but as a great opportunity. The fact that you
      react to arisings such as these with habitual tendencies of attachment and
      aversion is a sign not only that you are distracted but that you do not have
      the recognition and have lost the ground of Rigpa. To react to emotions in
      this way empowers them and binds you even tighter in the chains of delusion.

      The great secret of Dzogchen is to see right through them, as soon as they
      arise, to what they really are: the vivid and electric manifestation of the
      energy of Rigpa itself. As you gradually learn to do this, even the most
      turbulent emotions fail to seize hold of you and instead dissolve, as wild
      waves rise and rear and sink back into the calm of the ocean.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011