    Message 1 of 785 , Jun 9, 2006
      Since the situation in which we live is much changed but the attitude of
      people who are in that situation is at variance with the times, this is one
      of the causes of unnecessary pain, unnecessary problems. Therefore,
      education is needed to communicate that the concept of violence is
      counterproductive, that it is not a realistic way to solve problems, and
      that compromise is the only realistic way to solve problems. Right from the
      beginning, we have to make this reality clear to a child's mind -- the new
      generation. In this way, the whole attitude towards oneself, towards the
      world, towards others, can become more healthy. I usually call this "inner
      disarmament." Without inner disarmament, it is very difficult to achieve
      genuine, lasting world peace.

      ....Through inner disarmament we can develop a healthy mental attitude, which
      also is very beneficial for physical health. With peace of mind, a calm
      mind, your body elements become more balanced. Constant worry, constant
      fear, agitation of mind, are very bad for health. Therefore, peace of mind
      not only brings tranquility in our mind but also has good effects on our
      body.

      With inner disarmament, now we need external disarmament. As I mentioned
      earlier, according to today's reality, there no longer is room for war, for
      destruction. From a compassionate viewpoint, destruction, killing others,
      and discriminating even against one's enemy are counterproductive. Today's
      enemy, if you treat them well, may become a good friend even the next day.

      -- excerpt by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, edited by Jeffrey Hopkins from
      "The Art of Peace: Nobel Peace Laureates Discuss Human Rights, Conflict and
      Reconciliation", published by Snow Lion Publications

      Ask yourself these two questions: Do I remember at every moment that I am
      dying, and that everyone and everything else is, and so treat all beings at
      all times with compassion? Has my understanding of death and impermanence
      become so keen and so urgent that I am devoting every second to the pursuit
      of enlightenment? If you can answer �yes� to both of these, then you really
      understand impermanence

      The whole point of Dzogchen meditation practice is to strengthen and
      stabilize Rigpa and allow it to grow to full maturity. The ordinary,
      habitual mind with its projections is extremely powerful. It keeps
      returning, and takes hold of us easily when we are inattentive or
      distracted.

      As Dudjom Rinpoche used to say: �At present our Rigpa is like a little baby,
      stranded on the battlefield of strong arising thoughts.� I like to say that
      we have to begin by babysitting our Rigpa, in the secure environment of
      meditation.

      The practice of mindfulness unveils and reveals your essential Good Heart,
      because it dissolves and removes the unkindness or the harm in you. Only
      when you have removed the harm in yourself do you become truly useful to
      others. Through the practice, by slowly removing the unkindness and harm
      from yourself, you allow your true Good Heart, the fundamental goodness and
      kindness that are your real nature, to shine out and become the warm climate
      in which your true being flowers.

      This is why I call meditation the true practice of peace, the true practice
      of nonaggression and nonviolence, and the real and greatest disarmament.

      Whatever thoughts and emotions arise in meditation, allow them to rise and
      settle, like the waves in the ocean. Whatever you find yourself thinking,
      let that thought rise and settle, without any constraint. Don�t grasp at it,
      feed it, or indulge it, don�t cling to it, and don�t try to solidify it.
      Neither follow thoughts nor invite them; be like the ocean looking at its
      own waves, or the sky gazing down on the clouds that pass across it.

      You will soon find that thoughts are like the wind; they come and go. The
      secret is not to �think� about the thoughts but to allow them to flow
      through your mind, while keeping your mind free of afterthoughts.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011