    Message 1 of 785 , Apr 22, 2006
      The Dzogchen Tantras, the ancient teachings from which the bardo
      instructions come, speak of a mythical bird, the garuda, which is born fully
      grown. This image symbolizes our primordial nature, which is already
      completely perfect. The garuda chick has all its wing feathers fully
      developed inside the egg, but it cannot fly before it hatches. Only at the
      moment when the shell cracks open can it burst out and soar up into the sky.
      Similarly, the masters tell us, the qualities of buddhahood are veiled by
      the body, and as soon as the body is discarded, they will be radiantly
      displayed.

      The still revolutionary insight of Buddhism is that life and death are in
      the mind, and nowhere else. Mind is revealed as the universal basis of
      experience�the creator of happiness and the creator of suffering, the
      creator of what we call life and what we call death.

      Dudjom Rinpoche was driving through France with his wife, admiring the
      countryside as they went along. They passed along cemetery that had been
      freshly painted and decorated with flowers. Dudjom Rinpoche�s wife said:
      �Rinpoche, look how everything in the West is so neat and clean. Even the
      places where they keep corpses are spotless. In the East not even the houses
      that people live in are anything like as clean as this.�

      �Ah, yes,� he replied, �that�s true; this is such a civilized country. They
      have such marvelous houses for dead corpses. But haven�t you noticed? They
      have such wonderful houses for the living corpses too.�

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011