    Message 1 of 785 , Apr 1, 2006
      Concern for others to be happy and compassion wishing them to be free from
      suffering are needed not only as the basis for a bodhichitta motivation for
      mahamudra* practice, but also for keeping that practice on course to its
      intended goal. When we have changed our focus in life from the contents of
      our experience to the process of experience, there is great danger of
      becoming fixated on mind itself. This is because the direct experience of
      mind itself is totally blissful - in a calm and serene sense - and entails
      extraordinary clarity and starkness. Concern for others is one of the
      strongest forces that brings us back down to earth after having been up in
      the clouds. Although all appearances exist as a function of mind, other
      beings do not exist merely in our head. Their suffering is real and it hurts
      them just as much as ours hurts us.

      Furthermore, to be concerned about someone does not mean to be frantically
      worried about this person. If we are fixated on our child's problems at
      school, for example, we lose sight that whatever appearance of the problems
      our mind gives rise to is a function of mind. Believing the appearance to be
      the solid reality "out there," we again feel hopeless to do anything and
      thus become extremely anxious and tense. We worry to the point of becoming
      sick and we over-react toward our child, which does not help. If we focus
      instead on the process of mind that gives rise to our perception of the
      problem as if it existed as some horrible monster "out there," we do not
      eliminate our concern for our child, only our worry. This allows us to take
      whatever clear and calm action is necessary to alleviate the problem, Thus
      not only is compassion necessary for successful practice of mahamudra, but
      mahamudra realization is necessary for successful practice of compassion.

      * "Mahamudra" is a Sanskrit word meaning "great seal" and refers to the
      nature of all phenomena. Mahamudra also refers to sophisticated Buddhist
      systems of meditation and practice to realize this great sealing nature.

      -- by His Holiness the Dalai Lama from "The Gelug/Kagyu Tradition of
      published by Snow Lion Publications

      The compassionate wish to attain enlightenment for the benefit of all others
      is called Bodhicitta in Sanskrit: bodhi refers to ourenlightened essence,
      and citta means �heart.� So we could translate it as �the heart of our
      enlightened mind.� To awaken and develop the heart of the enlightened mind
      is to ripen steadily the seed of our buddha nature, that seed that, in the
      end, when our practice of compassion has become perfect and all-embracing,
      will flower majestically into buddhahood. Bodhicitta, then, is the spring
      and source and root of the entire spiritual path. This is why in our
      tradition we pray with such urgency:

      Those who haven�t yet given birth to precious Bodhicitta,
      May they give birth
      Those who have given birth,
      May their Bodhicitta not lessen
      but increase further and further.

      Sogyal Rinpoche

      The purpose of reflection on death is to make a real change in the depths of
      our hearts. Often this will require a period of retreat and deep
      contemplation, because only that can truly open our eyes to what we are
      doing with our lives.

      Contemplation on death will bring you a deepening sense of what we call
      �renunciation,� in Tibetan ng� jung. Ng� means �actually� or �definitely,�
      and jung to �come out,� �emerge� or �be born.� The fruit of frequent and
      deep reflection on death will be that you will find yourself emerging, often
      with a sense of disgust, from your habitual patterns. You will find yourself
      increasingly ready to let go of them, and in the end you will be able to
      free yourself from them as smoothly, the masters say, �as drawing a hair
      from a slab of butter.�

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011