    Message 1 of 785 , Mar 31, 2006
      The Level of Great Capacity

      Atisha continues his discussion on the three capacities by turning his
      attention
      to spiritual trainees at the highest level.

      Verse 5

      Those who, through their personal suffering,
      Truly want to end completely
      All the suffering of others
      Are persons of supreme capacity.
      [-- Atisha's "Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment"]

      Practitioners at this level use their deep understanding of the nature of
      suffering, derived from reflection on their personal experience, to
      recognize the fundamental equality of oneself and others insofar as the
      desire to overcome suffering is concerned. This then leads to the arising of
      a spontaneous wish to free all sentient beings from their suffering, a wish
      which becomes the powerful impetus for engaging in spiritual practices aimed
      at bringing about this altruistic objective.

      The most important practice in relation to this altruistic goal is the
      generation of bodhicitta, the altruistic aspiration to attain buddhahood for
      the benefit of all beings.

      -- by His Holiness the Dalai Lama from "Lighting the Way," published by Snow
      Lion Publications

      In my tradition we revere the masters for being even kinder than the buddhas
      themselves. Although the compassion and power of the buddhas are always
      present, our obscurations prevent us from meeting the buddhas face to face.
      But we can meet the masters; they are here, living, breathing, speaking, and
      acting before us to show us, in all the ways possible, the path of the
      buddhas: the way to liberation.

      For me, my masters have been the embodiment of living truth, undeniable
      signs that enlightenment is possible in a body, in this life, in this world,
      even here and even now, the supreme inspirations in my practice, in my work,
      in my life, and in my journey toward liberation. My masters are for me the
      embodiments of my sacred commitment to keep enlightenment foremost in my
      mind until I actually achieve it. I know enough to know that only when I
      reach enlightenment will I have a complete understanding of who they really
      are and of their infinite generosity, love, and wisdom.

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6, 2011