    Message 1 of 785 , Feb 15, 2006
      For meditation to happen, calm and auspicious conditions have to be created.
      Before we have mastery over our minds, we need first to calm their
      environment.

      At the moment, our minds are like a candle flame: unstable, flickering,
      constantly changing, fanned by the violent winds of our thoughts and
      emotions. The flame will burn steadily only when we can calm the air around
      it; so we can only begin to glimpse and rest in the nature of mind when we
      have stilled the turbulence of our thoughts and emotions. On the other hand,
      once we have found a stability in our meditation, noises and disturbances of
      every kind will have far less impact.

      The beginner�s mind is an open mind, an empty mind, a ready mind, and if we
      really listen with a beginner�s mind, we might really begin to hear. For if
      we listen with a silent mind, as free as possible from the clamor of
      preconceived ideas, a possibility will be created for the truth of the
      teachings to pierce us, and for the meaning of life and death to become
      increasingly and startlingly clear.

      My master Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said: �The more and more you listen, the
      more and more you hear; the more and more you hear, the deeper and deeper
      your understanding becomes.�

      Message 785 of 785 , Aug 6 7:34 PM